**** The Official OnePlus 6 Thread ****

Soldato
https://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-6-review-864739/

The OnePlus 6’s new camera is a step forward in several ways, but not necessarily to the degree we would have hoped for. Phones like the Huawei P20 Pro and Samsung Galaxy S9 do a lot more to improve their offerings.
[...]
The OnePlus 6’s photos look much sharper in low-light that the 5T, though there’s some oversharpening around the edges. Colors are more natural, and you can discern more details. The difference is particularly visible at full-size crop, where pictures are less smudgy. As you’d expect in low light, some details are still lost.

In better lighting there is still improvement, but the differences between the OnePlus 6 and 5T cameras are much less noticeable. The sharpness and details in photos from the main camera are very good, with accurate colors that aren’t oversaturated. Dynamic range is also very good here, delivering a great amount of detail without overdoing the contrast. Image quality tends to fall apart when using 2X zoom, so you are likely better off without it.

In better lighting there is still improvement, but the differences between the OnePlus 6 and 5T cameras are much less noticeable. The sharpness and details in photos from the main camera are very good, with accurate colors that aren’t oversaturated. Dynamic range is also very good here, delivering a great amount of detail without overdoing the contrast. Image quality tends to fall apart when using 2X zoom, so you are likely better off without it.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/20/oneplus-6-review-best-notch-android-offer-far/

So, the secondary camera is a wash, but how about that main sensor? The OnePlus 6 takes the best photos of any OnePlus phone yet, but it's still lacking compared to more expensive phones like the Pixel, Galaxy S9, and P20 Pro.

Some of the outdoor shots I've gotten with the OnePlus 6 are genuinely lovely and on par with photos from those more expensive phones. The phone pulls in a lot of detail, and overall scene exposure and colors seem accurate. The camera does still over-sharpen edges, and there's a "painted" effect if you look closely in busy areas. Check out the grass and tree bark in the sample photos for an example.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/21/oneplus-6-review/

What impressed me the most here was the vast improvement in low-light performance on the 6. When in darker conditions, the 5T switches to the secondary camera and combines pixels to boost sensitivity, but it loses a great deal of detail in the process. That's not the case with the 6: As I compared my nighttime shots side by side, I noticed that the newer model sticks to its much improved main camera, which is able to produce sharp and accurate low-light shots on its own. I even tried long exposure on the streets, and to my surprise, I was able to get many steady and stunning handheld shots. Don't get me wrong, though: I can still see some noise in certain parts of the photos, but at least they are well contained and tend not to be that obvious.

Rest assured, daytime shots taken with the OnePlus 6 are also impressive. The colors pop out accurately, especially in my landscape and foliage shots. I'm further impressed by how I can see individual strands of hair in my dog's quick portrait shot. Similarly, the electronic image stabilization worked well in many of my video clips -- it's almost as if I had my phone on a gimbal, so long as I didn't move the phone around too quickly. The 5T achieves similar stabilization results, but, in both videos and photos, it misses out on some color and warmth, as well as detail in the dark areas.

Soldato
I don’t think there will be a goody bag, they are giving away cases to people who are screaming the loudest.

I’m at the London pop up. So far thy gave out hats to everybody who wanted and couple of cases to who screamed the loudest challenge

Soldato
Yeah noticed that on a couple of videos ... That the autofocus is either slow or doesn't work. Poor for a release device but a software upgrade should fix that.

Also the on video recording, the saturation is cranked way too far.

Soldato
So I got there by 10:10. By 12:30 got inside and in 5min bought midnight black 256gb. Got a bag with my purchase that had a hat, laptop sleeve, a t shirt and a case (got the wood case, the only one I do not like :D).

They were offering water and ice cream outside and soft drinks inside.

I completely misjudged the queue, I was around 100th in line I think as they were lettting people in 30 at a time for 15min and I was in the 4th batch

Associate
Thanks for the update, enjoy playing with your new purchase. I’m thinking about heading over later but I guess that queue will be terrible during/after lunch break time.

Soldato
Somehow they have managed to go backwards in terms of the camera in development, astonishing really.

Aside from that, a good all round phone.

Soldato
For the first time, I'll be getting a OnePlus.

Can't warrant spending any more on a Samsung S9+ when this competes directly with it and beats it in some areas (I don't take photos so don't care about picture quality)

Fingers crossed I can get one tomorrow.

Permabanned
For the first time, I'll be getting a OnePlus.

Can't warrant spending any more on a Samsung S9+ when this competes directly with it and beats it in some areas (I don't take photos so don't care about picture quality)

Fingers crossed I can get one tomorrow.

I wouldn't say they were competing, the Galaxy S9+ is superior where it matters and price reflects that. OnePlus 6 is cheaper but I'm not sure I would say it was better value.

Increased memory beyond 6GB is just marketing for a phone and storage depends on the user, Galaxy S9+ also has the sdcard slot.

Soldato
I wouldn't say they were competing, the Galaxy S9+ is superior where it matters and price reflects that. OnePlus 6 is cheaper but I'm not sure I would say it was better value.

Increased memory beyond 6GB is just marketing for a phone and storage depends on the user, Galaxy S9+ also has the sdcard slot.

I'm used to 32GB so 64GB is more than enough for me and so is the 6GB.

The S9+ may be superior in some ways but it all depends on what you're using it for.

Soldato
There’s basically no queue at the London pop up. About 30 people

Just to double check, you went there and saw the queue or you got inside? I ask because the first queue is right next to the entrance that holds around 30 people, then the queue is split and the next queue is around the building. When I left at 12:30 the queue was long, like 200-300 people I think, all the way around the building and right up to where the exit for the venue was.

Associate
I went in and bought a phone. I had to queue around two corners, took me 1 hour 10 mins to get in. There was the 10 min queue inside too. When I left, exit was out the back, so I walked past where I’d queued, the only people left were the ones out front at the first bit.

Security had a count of people and at 3pm they had let 329 people on so far.

Back
Top Bottom