**** The Official OnePlus 6 Thread ****

Soldato
If the OP7 has stereo speakers that would be another good reason to upgrade. I honestly don't care if they don't have a headphone jack. I'll just keep an adaptor connected to my headphones all of the time.

I honestly can't understand the interest in stereo speakers, it was one of the big things that put me off the Pixel 3. If they could do stereo speakers without the bezels, then that's great, but I'd never want them enough to accept the bigger bezels they currently require. If I'm at home then I have devices better than my phone for video and music consumption and if I'm on the move I use earphones/headphones. I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've used my phone speakers.

Soldato
I honestly can't understand the interest in stereo speakers, it was one of the big things that put me off the Pixel 3. If they could do stereo speakers without the bezels, then that's great, but I'd never want them enough to accept the bigger bezels they currently require. If I'm at home then I have devices better than my phone for video and music consumption and if I'm on the move I use earphones/headphones. I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've used my phone speakers.

I'm with your there. The stereo speaker 'feature' is to my mind just a bit of techno fluff. As you say who is going to listen to audio via such tiny speakers when there are much better options available.

Soldato
I'm with you both - Stereo speakers don't even come into my thinking when choosing a phone. I have wireless Sony NC headphones for music etc - the speaker is perfectible acceptable for using whilst speaking to someone on loudspeaker etc

Soldato
Is anyone else is having an issue with the fingerprint sensor with the 6T? The sensor on mine has been rock solid since I bought it in November.

Now suddenly it's struggling to recognise my fingerprints. I have deleted them and redone them a number of times with no improvement. I'm now using a PIN for banking apps and face ID for unlocking.

Soldato
Does anyone know anything about custom ROMs for the OnePlus 6 at all? I'm interested in the subject but I don't know where to start looking for information.

Nice timing.

Before I post my update to answer your question the best place is XDA, although its not a particularly friendly community to non developers, as a user you expected to just pat dev's on the back, dont criticise any of them unless you want moderator intervention, asking for help will usually get ignored if deemed a noob question but its the place to go for roms. I also stopped donating to dev's as usually it just results in them stopping supporting the rom (they use it to buy new phone and then stop using the phone you was donating for them to support).

So the 2 roms that got my attention were havocOS and NoLimits.

NoLimits is probably the much safer bet as its based on the original OxygenOS but just adds enhancements to it. Due to problems I been having on Havoc I was about to switch over but some interesting developments have occurred.

Xposed finally got made available for android PIE when it seemed dead in the water. This was keeping me on Android 8.x, sadly HavocOS is EOL for 8.x, and the bugs I had were stacking up, the most severe one been usb tethering doesnt work. Given moving to 9.x wasnt an option I was about to switch to NoLimits and even prepared to goto stock OOS if I had to for getting the worst issues fixed.

Also this phone has a notch and HavocOS I feel is not really catering for it. HavocOS has a ton of nice features tho (although some dont do anything they broken).

If you get stuck and no one on XDA helps you then post back here and I will try to help.

Soldato
Nice timing.

Before I post my update to answer your question the best place is XDA, although its not a particularly friendly community to non developers, as a user you expected to just pat dev's on the back, dont criticise any of them unless you want moderator intervention, asking for help will usually get ignored if deemed a noob question but its the place to go for roms. I also stopped donating to dev's as usually it just results in them stopping supporting the rom (they use it to buy new phone and then stop using the phone you was donating for them to support).

So the 2 roms that got my attention were havocOS and NoLimits.

NoLimits is probably the much safer bet as its based on the original OxygenOS but just adds enhancements to it. Due to problems I been having on Havoc I was about to switch over but some interesting developments have occurred.

Xposed finally got made available for android PIE when it seemed dead in the water. This was keeping me on Android 8.x, sadly HavocOS is EOL for 8.x, and the bugs I had were stacking up, the most severe one been usb tethering doesnt work. Given moving to 9.x wasnt an option I was about to switch to NoLimits and even prepared to goto stock OOS if I had to for getting the worst issues fixed.

Also this phone has a notch and HavocOS I feel is not really catering for it. HavocOS has a ton of nice features tho (although some dont do anything they broken).

If you get stuck and no one on XDA helps you then post back here and I will try to help.

Thanks. I'll check out XDA. I've been building websites for a while now and it would be cool to get into Android development and I wanted to see how custom ROMs work so I could maybe look into working on one myself with a bit of practice.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone know anything about custom ROMs for the OnePlus 6 at all? I'm interested in the subject but I don't know where to start looking for information.

I'm currently a tester for a ROM called AquariOS. I've been using it for ages now and wouldn't use anything else. XDA is definitely where you need to start looking.

Soldato
I'm currently a tester for a ROM called AquariOS. I've been using it for ages now and wouldn't use anything else. XDA is definitely where you need to start looking.

Cool. I'll have a look at what ROMs are available. I'm just setting up a build environment in a virtual machine for compiling the Android source code. I can't download it just now as it'll take over an hour to clone the full repository but when I have more free time I'll get it started so that I can have a poke around at some of the code. I'll have to refresh my C programming skills though as I haven't used it for a long time.

Soldato
OP
Cool. I'll have a look at what ROMs are available. I'm just setting up a build environment in a virtual machine for compiling the Android source code. I can't download it just now as it'll take over an hour to clone the full repository but when I have more free time I'll get it started so that I can have a poke around at some of the code. I'll have to refresh my C programming skills though as I haven't used it for a long time.

You're best using a Linux distro if you want to build. Ububtu or LinuxMint being the easiest to use.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a tripod to use with the OnePlus 6 so I can film some YouTube videos of myself? I'll just be sitting on a chair and talking to the camera, so it doesn't need to be a flashy tripod — just something to hold the OnePlus 6 in position.

Soldato
I bought a tripod on the rain forest for £14, and it seems to work well. It even comes with a Bluetooth remote control to start and stop recording. One thing I didn't realise though is that the OnePlus 6 only allows you to record 10 minutes of footage at 4k resolution. That is a bit of a shame and might prompt me to upgrade my phone if the OnePlus 7 does not have that limitation.

Soldato
I was in same position spent ages deciding what to go for

Went for P20 Pro and it’s fantastic

Considered view 20 but lack of OLED put me off

OP6 against was smaller battery and not so good camera

OP6T lack of LED and AOD and not shre but screen seemed a bit less sharp

Soldato
I've just ordered a second SIM card (for business) for my OnePlus 6 but I'm somewhat confused about how it works. Can you set a default SIM card to use for outgoing calls and use both SIM cards for incoming calls? The business SIM card will mainly be for receiving calls while very rarely making calls or sending text messages (it is a PAYG SIM card while my personal SIM card is a contract SIM card). I'll only ever use data on my personal SIM card and will never use data on my business SIM. Does anyone else here use dual SIM cards?

Back
Top Bottom