**** The Official OnePlus 6 Thread ****

Soldato
I went in and bought a phone. I had to queue around two corners, took me 1 hour 10 mins to get in. There was the 10 min queue inside too. When I left, exit was out the back, so I walked past where I’d queued, the only people left were the ones out front at the first bit.

Security had a count of people and at 3pm they had let 329 people on so far.

Did not think it would clear up that fast, the only reason I went so early was because I thought they would run out of phones, oh well.

I got a free bag with tshirt and cap.

It would seem they ran out of free cases and laptop sleeves. Well at least there was some benefit to queue for 2 and half hours.

On a separate note, I got my phone set up now, coming from dates iPhone 6 I am very happy with the phone, my old phone looks and feels so tiny now. :D

Associate
I wouldn't say they were competing, the Galaxy S9+ is superior where it matters and price reflects that. OnePlus 6 is cheaper but I'm not sure I would say it was better value.

Increased memory beyond 6GB is just marketing for a phone and storage depends on the user, Galaxy S9+ also has the sdcard slot.

Well to be fair, the Exynos version of the S9 we get in the UK is pretty poor this year. The Snapdragon 845 is a superior SOC, so it bests it in that arena. That and speed of OS updates is better also.

I would have stayed with Samsung except for the poor SOC version this year.

Permabanned
Well to be fair, the Exynos version of the S9 we get in the UK is pretty poor this year. The Snapdragon 845 is a superior SOC, so it bests it in that arena. That and speed of OS updates is better also.

Performance isn't really an area we're struggling with right now so it doesn't really matter, battery life is more important.

In terms of performance SD820 would be more than enough for most apps on the store, basically the software hasn't caught up yet.

Soldato
Performance isn't really an area we're struggling with right now so it doesn't really matter, battery life is more important.

In terms of performance SD820 would be more than enough for most apps on the store, basically the software hasn't caught up yet.

My oneplus 5 feels faster than any sd820 based phones I've tried. And funnily enough it's feels even faster and smoother than the Galaxy S9. The battery life is just as impressive.

I don't rate the Galaxy phones much at all these days. I dislike their curved screens and software bloat.

Permabanned
My oneplus 5 feels faster than any sd820 based phones I've tried. And funnily enough it's feels even faster and smoother than the Galaxy S9. The battery life is just as impressive.

I don't rate the Galaxy phones much at all these days. I dislike their curved screens and software bloat.

My OnePlus 3 feels more or less the same as my OnePlus 5T and my old Galaxy S8+, no difference in any games either. Sure you could tell the difference in speedtests and game loading times but that's not something you'll notice in everyday usage.

Seems more like a placebo effect imo, only thing the Galaxy S8+ sucked at was multitasking.

The last upgrade that actually made a difference was SD810/E7420 to SD820/E8890, since then it just hasn't made any noticeable difference, Android games are still basic and the apps are mostly rubbish as well.

Modern phones are more powerful than the Nintendo Switch for gaming yet 99% of the games on the market are trash.

Associate
It was that busy?

No it was that badly planned, they had 5 desks taking your money you then had to wait to get handed your phone, took about an hour to get into the "event" i arrived at about 11:45am a further hour was spent inside trying to buy the phone and then waiting to receive it, it would seem that whilst they trust the hired event staff to handle the payments they don't trust them to hand out phones.

Associate
I think the whole event was managed to create queues and some excitement for the purpose of promotion on social media. The world we live in.

Soldato
No it was that badly planned, they had 5 desks taking your money you then had to wait to get handed your phone, took about an hour to get into the "event" i arrived at about 11:45am a further hour was spent inside trying to buy the phone and then waiting to receive it, it would seem that whilst they trust the hired event staff to handle the payments they don't trust them to hand out phones.

Hmm. Must have been annoying. Did you get any free merch?

Associate
Hmm. Must have been annoying. Did you get any free merch?

A cap a hat and a bag - for me these are a complete waste of money. It was quite interesting to see that the crowd there was mostly male if you wanted to do IT recruitment it was certainly a captive audience. I'd never had gone only my Oneplus X has died a death and I wanted a new phone super quick.

Associate

Well if you import the S9, you cab get the SD845 variant. Its also about £200 cheaper than Samsung UK.

Really in 2 minds about buying OP6. Let's see what the HTC U12 is priced like and then the Mi 8, both to be announced tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom