The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
I connect my USB wireless charger to the fast USB port on my bdm4065 but it stops working after the monitor goes into stand-by mode. Anyone know how to keep this USB port powered without disabling stand-by mode?

Associate
There are no options for USB in the menu, so yeah, there's nothing you can do to resolve the problem (bar modifying the electronics slightly). The USB ports on this monitor aren't very well thought out, they are fine for the average user, but that's not the majority of people buying this monitor unfortunately.

Associate
Hello all, about to pull the trigger on this, what's the general thoughts on it from people who have owed it a while?

I've currently got a 27" 1080p 144hz Iiyama.

I know the step down from 144hz to 60hz is quite a big difference, but I seem to be playing less and less fast paced games now, and more slower paced games, and more photo and video editing which this looks much more suited to.

Many gamers using this? I know it has a bit of input lag, but I'm not heavily into CS GO or anything, the only fps games I really play are BF4 and a bit of Star Wars Battlefront, the odd bit of GTA now and then too.

Should I get a DP cable at the same time, or is the supplied one sufficient?

Cheers

Associate
Hello all, about to pull the trigger on this, what's the general thoughts on it from people who have owed it a while?

I've currently got a 27" 1080p 144hz Iiyama.

I know the step down from 144hz to 60hz is quite a big difference, but I seem to be playing less and less fast paced games now, and more slower paced games, and more photo and video editing which this looks much more suited to.

Many gamers using this? I know it has a bit of input lag, but I'm not heavily into CS GO or anything, the only fps games I really play are BF4 and a bit of Star Wars Battlefront, the odd bit of GTA now and then too.

Should I get a DP cable at the same time, or is the supplied one sufficient?

Cheers

I've owned this monitor for the last 12 months, and overall it's a great piece of kit, but I am selling mine now.

The good:

1. It's big.
2. Panel uniformity. It's excellent, and being VA it doesn't suffer from backlight bleed. There is a slight "cone" effect, where the image changes very slightly at the outside periphery, but it's negligible.
3. Black levels. Awesome. Simply awesome. Elite Dangerous is a sight to behold in 4k on this panel.

The bad:

1. The stand is awful. You need a different stand. I bought an Ergotron neoflex and it works perfectly.
2. It's big. For me, arguably it's become too big. I used to work from home and had triple virtual monitors running (works best with 2 mind you). However, now I work in an office and I've got used to working on a 24" monitor again...so now the 40" feels too big to me - it does take some getting used to it.
3. There's no gsync.
4. Waking from sleep, quite often the screen takes a while to sync - it will flash on and back to black, before finally locking on to the DP signal.
5. Sometimes it boots in 30hz mode, and needs changing back to 60hz.

Not sure where you are in the UK, but if you're local to me (I'm in Cambridgeshire), you're welcome to come and take a look before splashing the cash.

Associate
1. The stand is awful. You need a different stand. I bought an Ergotron neoflex and it works perfectly.
5. Sometimes it boots in 30hz mode, and needs changing back to 60hz.

I've owned for around 6 months, but I have to disagree with the above 2 points. If the monitor is to stay in one place, then the stand suffices (but it is very basic).

I've not had the monitor revert to 30hz. Maybe a dodgy DP cable?

4. Waking from sleep, quite often the screen takes a while to sync - it will flash on and back to black, before finally locking on to the DP signal.

Agreed on this. Quite annoying, but not found a solution yet. Apparently a different cable may help.

Associate
If the monitor is to stay in one place, then the stand suffices (but it is very basic).

Unless you want neck strain, the bottom of the monitor ideally needs to be at desk level; with the ergotron you can drop the height of the screen (mine is literally 2cm from the desktop). The problem with the supplied stand is that there is no scope to make any adjustments.

It's fine if you're seating a few feet away, but as it's a monitor you'll likely have it on your desk and be sitting a couple of feet away.

Associate
Thanks all, I'll hopefully be placing an order this afternoon.

Is the supplied cable sufficient? I only need about 1m so should be long enough. I will have a look into other stands, are you selling the Ergotron, Smurfin? I'm in Oxfordshire so bit far to come for a look, thanks though.

Associate
Ok got the monitor today, impressed with it so far :)

Not sure on the scaling though, what sort of % are people using in windows 10?

Colour seems good out of the box, calibrated it and it was actually very close to stock, just slightly cooler on colour temp.

Associate
Ok got the monitor today, impressed with it so far :)

Not sure on the scaling though, what sort of % are people using in windows 10?

Colour seems good out of the box, calibrated it and it was actually very close to stock, just slightly cooler on colour temp.

I find 125% is best for me

Associate
Ok so I seem to have a problem with audio since using this monitor.

My normal soundcard says the speakers are unplugged, which they are not.

I've tried removing the sound card device, reinstalling drivers, disabling, nothing has worked so far, just says speakers unplugged and uses the monitors crap in built speakers.

Anyone else had this problem, and a got a fix?

Also noticed a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen, luckily the pixels are so tiny on a UHD screen it's hard to notice, but now I know it's there I spot it on black screens pretty quick!

Associate
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so I should start greeting everyone present :)

I also purchased Philips BDM4065 4K monitor (a few days ago) and from my recent short experience I should say I´m very pleased with it. I come from an Eyfinity (3 display) setup and I´m very happy with my decision for going 4K. First thing that was bothering me was PC specs - R9280X crossfired, i7 4770K, 16GB RAM, Samsung SSD and a 850W Corsair PSU. Things are running fine on that matter :)

I got to this forum after searching for the SmartResponse issue (image overshooting). It seems it´s a "known issue" and the best approach should be just leaving it set to Off.

There is still something that bothers me: the Burn-in thing caused by still-pictures... considering that when powering the monitor it warnes the risk after 30 minutes I thought I could ask here any recommendations by users (already set the display sleep after 20 mins :)) I play SimCity (2013) a lot and sometimes I just leave the game running while I´m doing something else. There is always some movement going on (cars, pedestrians and even day/night cycles) but there could be also some small static areas. Do you think there´s any risk of burn-in?

I know someone asked here about the huds/minimaps on action games that also stay put in the same spot - are these considered a risk as well? :p

I mailed Philips support about this issue and also about any firmware upgrade that could possibly adress the ResponseTime boost causing picture overshoot. Any news I´ll let you know...

Be well :)

Associate
Burn-in is not really an issue. I've had that pixel orbiting thing turned off since I purchased the monitor a year ago.

Things like the windows desktop background and taskbar which stay on screen in the same position all day don't get burned in (I use sRGB mode which is 100% brightness).

Soldato
I also worry moderately about burn in and I switch the monitor off if I need to leave it for an extended period but don't want to switch my PC off as well. It's no hassle to do this but I'd rather not have the concern in the first place.

Having said that I've not read any reports of burn in on the panel, though you have to wonder why the pixel orbiting feature is included.

Associate
Good to know from your experience Roger. On desktop my screensaver goes on after 2 mins and, as I mentioned above, screen sleeps after 20mins. My main concern was the somewhat long periods with no mouse interaction in SimCity :)

Thnx...

Associate
Just an update, I got a lightpack (just google it) that creates an ambient light around the monitor reflecting what's on the edges of the screen. Makes movies nicer and gaming strangely more atmospheric. Had it for a few months but would recommend to anyone wanting to treat themselves and add a bit more light to their rooms. It can also be set to specific colours etc.

The size of this monitor makes it easy to fit, mine is wall mounted on a slim mount and I haven't had any issues :)

i googled that and its epic
tytyty

Back
Top Bottom