The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
Same here, love my monitor - I'm short sighted though - its nice not to need my glasses.

Love it for gaming and browsing and films.

One of the best Pc purchases along with my DX racing chair.

Associate
Hi, debating to get the philips or the iiyama X4071UHSU but not sure which one is the better one, anyone with any insight can help which one to go for,will only be browsing the internet watching movies ect.

Thanks

Associate
I've had mine a little while now and have grown to like it more and more. Once I got over the "its not perfect :( :(" stage. Bottom line is you get quite a lot for your money with this screen and its flaws I can live with for the most part.

It boils down to liking the screen size and not having any real alternatives at the moment.

Associate
I've had mine a little while now and have grown to like it more and more. Once I got over the "its not perfect :( :(" stage. Bottom line is you get quite a lot for your money with this screen and its flaws I can live with for the most part.

It boils down to liking the screen size and not having any real alternatives at the moment.
What dont you like?

Associate
What dont you like?

pretty much the same things I wrote a couple of pages ago..

Most of these things I have gotten use to learned to live with so don't really bother me much now.

Infact this screen reminds me a lot of my plasma TV in many ways.

Ok, things to mention on my monitor.

Cone Effect/vignette? May be the wrong terminology but the extreme edges are always slightly darker than the rest of the screen. I may sit a little too close to the screen as it does improve from a certain distance.

Image retention like a plasma, where if you have an image that's on screen for a short time and overlay that image with say google home page (mostly white) you get slight retention but it is only slight.

Vertical text blurring/streaking. NOt all the time only with certain backgrounds. I used the three.co.uk homepage as an example in one of my posts and it seems to only effect vertical movement when scrolling up/down a web page.

Aside from that its pretty damn good for the money. :)

Associate
Each tech has its own flaws having tried tn, ips and now va panels. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Blurring text under certain conditions is definitely the biggest issue for me personally with my Philips. I've learnt to live with it because its not obvious in most situations but when it is, it just reminds me of the cheap tat monitors we still use in some departments at work.

I have a 28" 4k TN panel and it doesn't inherit any of the same problems found on my 40" Philips. There are however other issues that I have also learnt to live with on that monitor too. I am perhaps too fussy..

I find monitors are definitely an area of tech that just seems full of compromises.

I would still rate my Philips highly and would take quite a lot to change it to something else.

Associate
So I'm sitting in front of my monitor and I hear water vaporizing. I look around and see steam coming out of my monitor from the back, towards the right. My power supply gave out a little after a year of use with this monitor. This monitor has no light bleed, good angles, rich colors, deep contrast, and good gaming effects with no ghosting. I wasn't about to give up on this monitor that easily.

I suspected the problem was the power supply, so I looked up a power supply and took a chance ordering one from ebay. I replaced my old supply with the new one and haven't had a problem since. But I'm not stopping there. I'm replacing my new board's capacitors with a different brand of capacitors.

When I inspected my old board, I saw that two, 2 inch long capacitors on the board were puffed at the end. A puffed capacitor means its no longer a working capacitor. I went back to ebay and searched for some Aluminum Electrolytic(LM)capacitors for replacing the ones my new board came with. The new board came with the same branded capacitors the old board used. I ordered Rubycon (LM)capacitors as they hold a good reputation. Once they get here, I'll remove my new board and replace the capacitors with the Rubycons. And while I'm at it, I'll also replace the old board's capacitors with the new Rubycons.

The new capacitor rating is 450V 68uf by Rubycon.

Last edited:
Associate
Though something was evaporating into steam, the source wasn't from water. The smell wasn't electrical, and there was no smoke. It was strange, and it wasn't water. When I inspected the metal housing covering the power supply, I saw a yellow, oily residue blanketing the capacitor area. That's how I traced the problem to the blown capacitors.

I will keep this post updated when I receive the Rubycon capacitors and replace the blown ones on my old power supply with the new ones. Then I'll be certain or not if it was just the capacitors at fault.

I got in touch with the company that sold me this monitor and they offered to take care of my problem including shipping expenses. I never shipped them the monitor because I fixed the problem. They did refund me the total cost of the power supply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom