The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
Can't comment on 1 and 2 but if you are using DP it could be cable quality. What type of GPU?

3. Make sure scaling is on in your GPU drivers.

4. Despite the common misconception that 1080p looks great because 1 pixel = 4, it doesn't. It still looks crap in my experience. 1440 looks much better IMHO.

I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable at the moment straight from the motherboard as this is a new build and I'm waiting for a new GPU. Do you think this could be effecting the quality of the image?

I've fixed that now, checked the maintain scaling option in Intel HD settings :)

So the blurry desktop and overall low quality images are the best 1080p will look on this monitor? I am disappointed in that..I was hoping 1080p would look almost as decent as a native 1080p, but this is a massive drop in quality :mad:

And you're right, 1440 looks a lot clearer for some reason!

Last edited:
Soldato
Even though 4K is an exact multiple of 1080p it still looks bad. Bear in mind that a 1080p image on 40" will look horribly pixelated.

I am using a DP 1.2 cable and 1080p looks horrible with games at this size and distance.

Soldato
I've just got my monitor, thankfully no scratches or damage.

I have a few questions if you guys could help me please :)

1. Are there any optimal settings I should be using?
Picture Format : widescreen
Brightness: 100%
Contrast: 505%
Sharpness: 50%
Smart Response: Off
Smart Contrast: Off
Gamma 2.2
Pixel Orbiting: On
Overscan: Off
PIP/PBP Mode: Off
Color: 6500K

2. Also one thing that's happening, every now and then when I switch to the desktop the screen goes black/turns off for a second then comes back on?
thats normal, it's just syncing
3. When I change the resolution to 1440p for example the screen size shrinks inside the TV to represent the resolution, why isn't it still using the full screen, there are black bars all around with the screen in the centre :s
set the Picture Format to widescreen on the monitor for full screen
4. When I change to 1080p the quality is terrible, is this normal?
tbh 1080p looks great on mine, not sure why yours would look terrible
Not sure what's wrong, anyone else aware of this problem?

Soldato
I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable at the moment straight from the motherboard as this is a new build and I'm waiting for a new GPU. Do you think this could be effecting the quality of the image?

I've fixed that now, checked the maintain scaling option in Intel HD settings :)

So the blurry desktop and overall low quality images are the best 1080p will look on this monitor? I am disappointed in that..I was hoping 1080p would look almost as decent as a native 1080p, but this is a massive drop in quality :mad:

And you're right, 1440 looks a lot clearer for some reason!

set the Picture Format to widescreen on the monitor for full screen, don't use scaling options..

i have no burry quality images at 1080p

Associate
That's great thanks for those settings, all applied now.

So your 1080p looks pretty clear?

I don't think there's any other settings I've changed apart from the monitor menu.

Everything just looks kind of fuzzy, grainy and not sharp at all.

Are there any other settings that could affect this?

Soldato

I don't think there's any other settings I've changed apart from the monitor menu.

yes at 1080p it looks clear... i'm not sure why yours look poor.

are you using the HDMI MHL port or the other HDMI port? the HDMI MHL port supports up to 1080p

Last edited:
Soldato

1080p look no better than OK on mine and nowhere near as sharp as a native 1080p screen. The problem isn't that it looks particularly blurry, it is blurry but looks less blurry than 1440p in Windows. The issue IMHO is that it looks quite pixelated. In fact to me it can look better if you turn cleartype off for Windows use at non-native res.

My previous posts on this issue are in relation to gaming, not general windows use. I would never use anything than 1:1 pixel mapping for windows use. So for example I am happy to use a non-scaled res of 2560x1600 or 3840x1260 rather than the full 4K for general windows use. If I'm doing any image editing, or multi tasking I will use full 4K.

In more graphically demanding games I will use 2560x1440 and enable image sharpening with SweetFX. This removes a lot of the blurring that comes from using non-native resolutions. I use RadeonPro with SweetFX even with my Nvidia card.

Last edited:
Associate
yes at 1080p it looks clear... i'm not sure why yours look poor.

are you using the HDMI MHL port or the other HDMI port? the HDMI MHL port supports up to 1080p

I'm using the none MHL port, I've tried both and they both look as bad IMO. Kind of disappointed with this monitor if I'm honest..I'm thinking about returning it or just selling it on.

I am using a DVI to HDMI cable plugged straight into the DVI input on the motherboard. Not sure if this makes a difference?

Bear in mind 4k does look great and all from the few samples I've seen. I'm downloading a 4k sample montage to test it out properly.

I bought this for gaming/general use and for future 4k content. These few problems are annoying though. I don't find the 4k desktop real estate massively beneficial for my PC use so I'm using 1440p at the moment.

Has anyone else got a bad experience with 1080p on this panel?

1080p look no better than OK on mine and nowhere near as sharp as a native 1080p screen. The problem isn't that it looks particularly blurry, it is blurry but actually looks less blurry than 1440p in Windows), but that it looks really pixelated. In fact to me it can look better if you turn cleartype off in Windows use at non-natvie res.

My previous posts on this issue are in relation to gaming, not general windows use. I would never use anything than 1:1 pixel mapping for windows use. So for example I am happy to use a non-scaled res of 2560x1600 or 3840x1260 rather than the full 4K for general windows use. If I'm doing any image editing, or multi tasking I will use full 4K.

The best way I can describe it is it looks like grainy and slightly fuzzy. Does yours look like that at all?

How do you set those resolutions?

I just hope 4k gaming is worth it, but then again I won't know til I try it..

It just seems a bit silly to pay £300+ for a 1440p monitor when for £250 more I can get a 40 inch 4k monitor but I didn't expect the 1080p to be as bad as it is!

Soldato
This monitor is so good for 4K gaming that I am willing to look over the issues brought up in this thread. Most of them are minor issues that in no way impact gaming.

I bought mine specifically for 4K gaming and actually feel that 4K for desktop use is overkill. So much so that I prefer 2560x1600 with large black borders for normal use. The luxury of more desktop space has come in handy though and it better to have the option than to have an extra monitor for example.

For setting up a 2560x1600 non-scaled res just use your GPU control panel to set a custom resolution. I have a GTX980 and it is straight forward with NV drivers. I believe AMD now allow custom res as well. Just ensure you turn off scaling in the driver options.

Even with a single GTX980 I am able to play some games at decent FPS at 4K res. Elite Dangerous runs perfectly fine and I get from 40-60 (FPS limit set). I also play P-Cars at full 4K almost max details at 40+ FPS. It helps that I absolutely despise DoF, Lens Flare and motion blur in games. So turning these horrible effects off in games can give a big FPS boost.

I will be honest and say my only issue is the fact it is not G-sync or Freesync capable. At lower FPs tearing can be a massive problem due to the physical size of the monitor. More GPU grunt would help but SLI or CF is no longer an option for me, just too much hassle.

Associate
4k looks amazing..I've downloaded some 4k gaming montages and it is stunning for sure. It's direct 4k gaming footage and I now cannot wait to play some games in 4k, I've watched it so many times now because I can't believe how much detail there is. Here is the link - http://4ksamples.com/4k-gaming-montage/

Does your 2560x1600 look sharp?

Any other resolution other than 4k looks burry, that's the only issue I'm having, I even tried using a Xbox and that is also very blurry (much more than the PC)..seems like 1080p is completely unusable and I don't think it should be this bad. Is my monitor broken?

Is there any other way to set a custom resolution since I'm just using the onboard Intel HD graphics at the moment?

Soldato
is this monitor good for gameing or should i stick with my Ben Q 32inch IPS? 4K?

i'd say it's a ok monitor for gaming but be prepared for slight ghosting on dark colours. input lag is very low for a VA panel which is great.

but just remember this monitor wasn't designed for gaming, it's designed for office work. even Philips lists it under large office screens

Soldato
Does your 2560x1600 look sharp?

Any other resolution other than 4k looks burry, that's the only issue I'm having, I even tried using a Xbox and that is also very blurry (much more than the PC)..seems like 1080p is completely unusable and I don't think it should be this bad. Is my monitor broken?

Is there any other way to set a custom resolution since I'm just using the onboard Intel HD graphics at the moment?

i've tried every res below 4k and i see no bury

i can try to take a photo if you want?

Soldato
Like I said, make sure scaling is off when using resolutions other than native. Monitor scaling absolutely will blur as it stretches the non-native resolution over the entire screen.

Turn scaling off and you get a 1:1 pixel ratio. So you get borders around your display.

I find ghosting is undetectable in my screen and I play Elite Dangerous. You don't get any more contrast than a blue white star on an inky black space background :)

Associate
Like I said, make sure scaling is off when using resolutions other than native. Monitor scaling absolutely will blur as it stretches the non-native resolution over the entire screen.

Turn scaling off and you get a 1:1 pixel ratio. So you get borders around your display.

I find ghosting is undetectable in my screen and I play Elite Dangerous. You don't get any more contrast than a blue white star on an inky black space background :)

Maybe I'm being a bit of a noob but where is this scaling option you're referring too?

In the Intel HD GPU panel there is a setting called scaling, the options are "maintain display scaling" or "customize aspect ratio".

And on the actual monitor menu there's the picture settings "widescreen, 4:3 and 1:1" but that has black borders around it, is that what people are talking about when they use 1080p? or do they have 1080p using the entire space of the monitor which looks clear?

When it's set to 1440p with 1:1 there are black borders around the desktop and the screen is 26 inches in diameter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom