The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Associate
Soldato
Associate
Between my initial post and your reply I also bought fermipan on ebay. 12 quid ain't cheap but it could be worse. Thanks for the input though.

Agreed, but can't find yeast for love nor money. Tip I read about it to put the contents in multiple smaller tupperware pots and then freeze the ones you don't need. Obviously depends on the number of loaves you bake but I think these bags are for commercial use so I read some people suggesting that if you are only baking for your family like most people will be the yeast will lose its potency toward the end of the bag. By batching it and freezing it you prevent that.

Caporegime
That looks great. N'duja is my favourite pizza topping by a mile. Local neopolitan place where I used to live did one with a little moz, n'duja, finely sliced red onion, a little thinly sliced pepperoni, and then a very light criss-cross drizzle of honey. It is spectacular :)

looks burnt to me

i buy my nduja from amazon improted from italy. use amazon.it

Caporegime
Never seen or heard of these before. The quality of the pizzas in this thread is really good though! They look similar to ones in Italian pizza places that have full sized (stone?) ovens.

Would it be practical to just put this on the floor of a small balcony and use it to cook say 2 pizzas. Sounds like that would take less than 15 minutes from start to finish. It would have to be using pellets. Wondering how much smoke would be generated from beginning to end. i.e/ enough to annoy neighbours and get complaints?!

Balcony is literally 1.5m x 2.5m in area and 2.5m to the ceiling. Floor likes like tiles (stone?) of some sort.

Seems a bargain for less than £200 unless i'm missing something really obvious (only skimmed the thread and mainly focused on photos!)

rp2000

Don
Never seen or heard of these before. The quality of the pizzas in this thread is really good though! They look similar to ones in Italian pizza places that have full sized (stone?) ovens.

Would it be practical to just put this on the floor of a small balcony and use it to cook say 2 pizzas. Sounds like that would take less than 15 minutes from start to finish. It would have to be using pellets. Wondering how much smoke would be generated from beginning to end. i.e/ enough to annoy neighbours and get complaints?!

Balcony is literally 1.5m x 2.5m in area and 2.5m to the ceiling. Floor likes like tiles (stone?) of some sort.

Seems a bargain for less than £200 unless i'm missing something really obvious (only skimmed the thread and mainly focused on photos!)

rp2000

for a balcony I would go for a gas one, the pellets make lots of smoke

I used pellets first and then gas and the pizzas are no different and it's loads less hassle , might be interested in the solid one ones in future but more for fun that any thought that the results would be better

to get to temp and cook 2 pizzas you are looking more like 30 mins

Caporegime
for a balcony I would go for a gas one, the pellets make lots of smoke

I used pellets first and then gas and the pizzas are no different and it's loads less hassle , might be interested in the solid one ones in future but more for fun that any thought that the results would be better

to get to temp and cook 2 pizzas you are looking more like 30 mins

Many thanks for the advice. Could you comment on the price difference for the fuels (I know i'd pay more for the gas burner attachment, but I could begrudgingly tolerate that as a one off cost!)? As a vegetarian i've never looked into outdoor cooking/bbqs/grills and related fuels!

rp2000

Don
Gas is by far cheapest to use, initial cost of cylinder but ongoing costs least

Ooni Koda is gas by default so you wouldn't need an attachment, a 3 or a Karu more flexible but Koda prob best for you

Caporegime

Ooni Koda is gas by default so you wouldn't need an attachment, a 3 or a Karu more flexible but Koda prob best for you

are you sure? i calculated pellets to be 10p per hour. well the ones i buy anyway. i know the official pellets are like 50p per hour.

Don
are you sure? i calculated pellets to be 10p per hour. well the ones i buy anyway. i know the official pellets are like 50p per hour.

haven't gone into it in that much detail :D just that the gas never seems to run out and 2 pizzas can take a litre jug of pellets :)

pellets are a total ballache though and often make lots of smoke

Caporegime

More questions!

As I mentioned, space is limited for me. I would need to move the oven and cylinder inside when not in use anyway, in case it rained etc.

1) Any idea what type of small cylinder/capacity would last for x amount of pizzas etc?
2) Are these cylinders refillable or do you just buy a new one when it runs out? Some spanish homes use those huge orange cylinders and a man comes to swap them every so often. I don't want the hassle of that!
3) As the cost goes up I will become less keen :) Would I just need to buy an infrared thermometer and pizza peel on top the oven and gas cylinders to be ready to go? Approximate price of those please!

I know I can look up prices online, but i've never used camping stuff or bbqs or gas before etc so would just be searching blindly by lowest price, which isn't always the best method!

rp2000

Caporegime
Infrared thermometer can get off ebay for around £30.

Peels available on there too.

A lot prefer wooden peels apparently they are better but I like the durability of stainless steel.

You can get pretty much all you need off amazon bat the fuel. I'd go to a local supplier I can get 10kg of pellets for £4.

10kg will last me all summer

Caporegime
Infrared thermometer can get off ebay for around £30.

Peels available on there too.

A lot prefer wooden peels apparently they are better but I like the durability of stainless steel.

You can get pretty much all you need off amazon bat the fuel. I'd go to a local supplier I can get 10kg of pellets for £4.

10kg will last me all summer

I think I would need to go with Gas due to limited space and smoke.

Do you have a link to the type of thermometer you have. I do see some for around £30-£40 on ebay UK. Slightly unrelated note, can these also be used on your forehead for testing fever (like some airports are doing to scan for covid 19 symptoms).

rp2000

Caporegime
I think I would need to go with Gas due to limited space and smoke.

Do you have a link to the type of thermometer you have. I do see some for around £30-£40 on ebay UK. Slightly unrelated note, can these also be used on your forehead for testing fever (like some airports are doing to scan for covid 19 symptoms).

rp2000

no you can't use for fever not accurate enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I4TB2IM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is the one i bought - it's no longer available because of people using them for corona fever testing even though not accurate enough.

in the body 1C is difference between life and death. in a pizza oven 10C is no real world difference.

Caporegime
no you can't use for fever not accurate enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I4TB2IM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is the one i bought - it's no longer available because of people using them for corona fever testing even though not accurate enough.

in the body 1C is difference between life and death. in a pizza oven 10C is no real world difference.

Thanks, I will wait to see which one Rotty links to, but with your additional info I realise they may be hard to get at a decent price anyway, short term!

I stand corrected! https://www.amazon.es/Termometro-Termómetro-Infrarrojo-Eventek-Temperatura/dp/B07F7HX5T9/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=termometro+laser&qid=1586611462&sr=8-11
Seems similar for 27 euros, unless you can point out something glaringly obvious I'm missing!

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom