The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for this, I have one question once I make the dough, say I make enough for 4 pizzas, can I freeze 3 dough balls straight away after making.

I might try the ooni recipe next, I have been using bread flour, seems like 00 grade flour is good to use as well.

I was just a little unsure about storing the dough for a later date.
That recipe should give you 6 balls at 250g. If you want to freeze then you will be fine. If you use cling film or something similar, advise once you take out of the freezer put in a container. When defrosting it can make it a bit messy

Soldato
OP
A few from this weekend

62% Hydration / 72 Hour Proof with Poolish Starter

9JqkgD7.jpg

Prob my least favourite way to prep dough but I go back to it time to time and try to tweek and improve.

Pizza Bianca

- Base of Ricotta and Cream gives it much more subtle flavours.
- Thinly sliced Garlic and olive oil
- Topped with Smoked Mozzarella (Scamorza), Parmesan and Rosemary

HNJhXJP.jpg

Mushroom and Italian Sausage

- Chestnut, Oyster and Foristiere Mushrooms, cooked in Garlic Oil and Oregano then blitzed into base sauce
- Fior Di Latte Mozzarella
- Tuscan Sausage Meat with Fennel and Garlic
- Finished with fresh Parmesan

gjVKNTO.jpg

Peking Pizza

- Tomato sauce base infused with home made Szechuan Chili Oil
- Slow roasted duck with Hoisin and Plum sauce
- Fior Di Latte
- Finished with Springs onions, Black Sesame Seeds, Sprinkle of sesame oil

Really nice blend of heat and sweet.

DhclSzx.jpg

Soldato
A few from this weekend
nice selection -

Divisive question then - are you regularly using a(which) stand mixer given your high production volume (I'm lazy and am typically using the Pan bread machine, which is probably inferior to a stand)
Do you put them in the oven back to back or allow some recovery, too ?

Soldato
OP
nice selection -

Divisive question then - are you regularly using a(which) stand mixer given your high production volume (I'm lazy and am typically using the Pan bread machine, which is probably inferior to a stand)
Do you put them in the oven back to back or allow some recovery, too ?

I got a relatively inexpensive (compared to kitchen aid) mixer from The Rain Forest. I think it was £100, maybe £120 which has two dough hooks on it. It does a good job for what I need it to do.

In regards to cooking I have two ovens.

Igneus Classico This is a wood fired oven and it maintains temperature on the stone a lot better than the Ooni, so I don't need to be as mindful on temp recovery, it's more about having a bit of a flame going . In theory you can cook 2-3 pizzas at a time but I usually do one that's it. Great oven for summer and when covid restrictions were lifted last summer, had about 25 people round, was able to bang out 30 pizzas in around an hour. In winter it's not so great as I can't keep it under cover, this is where the Koda comes into it's own.

The Koda I find is a little more sensitive to temperature recovery. Usually fire it up on high get it to operational temperature then turn on low when cooking, once Pizza is finished, Bang it back on high for a minute to maintain the stone temperature. The Koda is a little more of a balancing act than a bigger oven as you don't have as much floor space to move the pizza around. Let's see the top cooks quicker than the base, your point about recovery time is super important.

Soldato
Looks great - what's your mix for the ricotta and cream base? I always wanted to do a couple of pizza biancos but could never decide on a base. (I'd probably throw in some sauteed garlic as well for a deeper flavour) Love the idea of the Beijing duck style pizza, infused tomato sauce base sounds like a great idea. My wife doesn't like duck, but I might make one for the chef :D

@jpaul We usually make 4-6 pizzas a week, I use a Kitchenaid stand mixer with the dough hook as it makes life very easy. Mix ingredients (I combine water/salt, then add 10% flour, then add yeast into the stand base, then slowly add in the remaining flour) and then leave to knead for ~8-10 mins until the dough windowpanes. It usually takes less time in summer as the indoor temperatures here get pretty high even with the air con on full whack, the UK temperature swing isn't quite as wild as here (it can be around freezing at night/early morning in winter, and then 40-45 deg in summer).

Soldato
Soldato
Short of ingredients for toppings and have a base in fridge that needs to be used any ideas for toppings, I have some grated mozzarella and some Nduja, would that work?

Actually how do you top your pizza with nduja, I normally just put small blobs of it on, is it better to spread it.

Soldato
Short of ingredients for toppings and have a base in fridge that needs to be used any ideas for toppings, I have some grated mozzarella and some Nduja, would that work?

Actually how do you top your pizza with nduja, I normally just put small blobs of it on, is it better to spread it.
Yeah just blobs, or stir some into some base sauce.
Or no base and just nduja topped with cheese.

Toppings ideas though, IMO try anything and everything screw sticking to traditional.

Soldato
Yeah just blobs, or stir some into some base sauce.
Or no base and just nduja topped with cheese.

Toppings ideas though, IMO try anything and everything screw sticking to traditional.

Yeah actually I have some tuna chunks in the fridge, do you think nduja would work with that along with the tomato base and mozz. Guess its worth a try:D

Soldato
made up a tomato base from fresh (supposedly vine aldi) tomatoes - about the same weight as a can - an underwhelming experience I won't repeat
taste(and colour) was not there compared to Cirio;
maybe it's true the weight of fresh tomatoes going into a can is much greater than DIY weight equivalent.

Soldato
made up a tomato base from fresh (supposedly vine aldi) tomatoes - about the same weight as a can - an underwhelming experience I won't repeat
taste(and colour) was not there compared to Cirio;
maybe it's true the weight of fresh tomatoes going into a can is much greater than DIY weight equivalent.
Did you just blend them up. I've done it with some Costco vine tomatoes that were past there best. I roasted them first, then just mashed them. I read somewhere you should never blend tomatoes as the seeds once broken apart don't have a pleasant taste.

Soldato
Did you just blend them up. I've done it with some Costco vine tomatoes that were past there best. I roasted them first, then just mashed them. I read somewhere you should never blend tomatoes as the seeds once broken apart don't have a pleasant taste.

true - I didn't even contemplate blending/mashing - I just chopped finely and cooked down with some sweated onions/herbDP over 30/40 minutes - the tinned ones are nearly emulsified already, - they must be pressure cooked, or very ripe

e: home tinning can use a pressure cooker/insta-pot it seems
https://missvickie.com/canning-tomatoes-with-pressure-cooker/

Last edited:
Associate
I've just bought myself a Koda 16 having previously owned a Fyra and Karu 12. I saved 20% from Dobbies yesterday, pleased as I was kicking myself for not deciding sooner and taking advantage of the Ooni Black Friday deal.

I'm going to try the Ooni 14" perforated peel this time around rather than launching from wood peels.

I'm a little nervous about sourcing and using gas as have no experience, but it can't be that difficult. I'm also going to finally commit to a proper trolley or station in the garden.

Soldato
Finally got around to getting some good flour (red caputo) from a local Italian supermarket and using it last night, crust was soooo much better. Still getting on top of the Koda 16, but getting up to temp compared to the old Karu is so much easier, just need to work out best places to put the pizza when I launch it so it doesn't burn the crust. Unfortunately had a huge air bubble form on this one, but apart from that it was damn tasty!

vvNlFhz.jpg

Associate
yes - I will have to try the stand mixer , although after looking into dough hooks design , on Rays ka thread
Spiral Dough Hook for KitchenAid Artisan?

the efficacy+asthetic of the spiral is hard to repress -
(& could be why the uk bake-off show , KA kitted contestants currently manually kneeding dough.)
I have a kmix but I find that using it to make dough from scratch is a faff because it takes forever to add tiny spoonfulls of flour near the end of the mix, and can actually be quite messy.
Instead, I now mix all the ingredients in my proofing tray before putting the dough in the kmix for about 8 minutes. While thats running it gives me time to clean up.

I normally use strong bread flour but ordered some caputo 00 from amazon for the first time last night. It will be interesting to see the difference, if any.

I like to put my nduja on top of my ingredients, that way if gets a little burnt, which I think adds flavour.
A few from this weekend

62% Hydration / 72 Hour Proof with Poolish Starter

9JqkgD7.jpg

Prob my least favourite way to prep dough but I go back to it time to time and try to tweek and improve.

Pizza Bianca

- Base of Ricotta and Cream gives it much more subtle flavours.
- Thinly sliced Garlic and olive oil
- Topped with Smoked Mozzarella (Scamorza), Parmesan and Rosemary

HNJhXJP.jpg

Mushroom and Italian Sausage

- Chestnut, Oyster and Foristiere Mushrooms, cooked in Garlic Oil and Oregano then blitzed into base sauce
- Fior Di Latte Mozzarella
- Tuscan Sausage Meat with Fennel and Garlic
- Finished with fresh Parmesan

gjVKNTO.jpg

Peking Pizza

- Tomato sauce base infused with home made Szechuan Chili Oil
- Slow roasted duck with Hoisin and Plum sauce
- Fior Di Latte
- Finished with Springs onions, Black Sesame Seeds, Sprinkle of sesame oil

Really nice blend of heat and sweet.

DhclSzx.jpg
Aromatic crispy duck is one of my favorite pizzas. Ive never had a white pizza before but yours look and sound delicious. Ill have to experiment...

Soldato
Christened my first ever pizza oven, an Ooni Koda 16, at the weekend.

zpQkG70h.jpg

yEyGuFOh.jpg

Much to learn, but delicious and great fun.

Awesome, I'm thinking about getting one this year, how did you find it.

I currently use a gas oven which is fine, but doing it outside and in a proper pizza oven must be really enjoyable. If I get one it will be the gas one, have a few of them garden patio gas bottles as well for our gas bbq, so makes sense to go gas.
I will get the 12" ooni, its hard enough making a pizza base for that size:cry:.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Awesome, I'm thinking about getting one this year, how did you find it.

I currently use a gas oven which is fine, but doing it outside and in a proper pizza oven must be really enjoyable. If I get one it will be the gas one, have a few of them garden patio gas bottles as well for our gas bbq, so makes sense to go gas.
I will get the 12" ooni, its hard enough making a pizza base for that size:cry:.

Loved using it and yeah it's great doing it outside. Gas is really easy and if I had a wood-burning one, I suspect I'd rarely use it after the novelty wore off.

But I need another peel, as I only have the huge bamboo Ooni one and it's not flat enough to get underneath easily, so I've burnt some pizza with it being in there too long while I mucked about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom