*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime
Because they lose money on the consoles, and how much do you think it costs to support a continual multiplayer network for the entire world?

Sony most likely aren't losing money on the consoles this gen. They've said so themselves.

They don't have an expensive custom-built Cell CPU to worry about. They're using almost off-the-shelf parts.

Soldato
You got a link to that at all please?

ps3ud0 :cool:

It depends how much they are paying for the GDDR5, I think worse case is, if you buy a PS4 and a game Sony will break even, best case is they are making £20.00 a unit. There was a market analyst over at Gaf who broke it all down.

Caporegime
Caporegime
games pay for the network i would imagine, if this is the case then we aren't getting as good a deal as we usually get.

usually we buy for less than what it costs to make, this time round we are paying more than it cost to make.

if they had followed the same model as before imagine how more powerful it could have been, but i am happy with this because sony have made huge losses in the past so it evens out.

also makes you wonder what MS are doing if sony aren't losing money then MS must be raking it in with their lower specs.

Soldato
It was Infamous which is 8GB. And i'm comparing the download and installation to the 360 which is a LOT faster at doing both.

From the Feb announcement Sony said they were aiming to make everything much more instant.

Ok just googled it and you're right. http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/9/4316008/unlike-the-ps3-sony-isnt-expecting-to-lose-money-on-the-ps4

Regardless, the network cost point still stands.

Yeah, the cost isn't £50 though it's still the same price as it always has been.

Don't think Sony could afford to make a loss on each console this gen, They're not in the best shape financially as a whole if I remember correctly. Could be the reason it's no messing with the ps4 as it's very important to them.

Soldato
games pay for the network i would imagine, if this is the case then we aren't getting as good a deal as we usually get.

usually we buy for less than what it costs to make, this time round we are paying more than it cost to make.

if they had followed the same model as before imagine how more powerful it could have been, but i am happy with this because sony have made huge losses in the past so it evens out.

also makes you wonder what MS are doing if sony aren't losing money then MS must be raking it in with their lower specs.

There's a lot of speculation MS's BOM is much higher than Sonys, due to custom parts such a ESRAM and kinect sensors.
Quite a spectacular engineering fail if true.

Soldato
Because they lose money on the consoles, and how much do you think it costs to support a continual multiplayer network for the entire world?

It didn't seem to be a problem for them with the PS3 :confused:

EDIT: hang on, there will still be the free online network to play online right? I thought that they were planning to start charging for this. Hopefully not.

Last edited:
Caporegime
networking doesnt cost that much, i read some article online that it would cost say £100K to run servers for COD for a year, the game makes billions i imagine therefore £100K a year to them is a drop in the ocean.

the money lost on consoles in the past has been made back through licensing, etc.

mone for the network has been made back by sales of games i imagine of which they take a cut i would imagine somewhere so they can use their PSN network.

Soldato
It didn't seem to be a problem for them with the PS3 :confused:

EDIT: hang on, there will still be the free online network to play online right? I thought that they were planning to start charging for this. Hopefully not.

Free-to-play games will be free to play online, but other games will require PS+ subscription.

There's no way in hell that servers only cost £100k for a year. A single network admin's salary will be nearly half that, surely.

Caporegime
Free-to-play games will be free to play online, but other games will require PS+ subscription.

There's no way in hell that servers only cost £100k for a year. A single network admin's salary will be nearly half that, surely.

that was just for 1 game and i think dedicated server costs only

sony would use the same staff they have currently.

but they do not use dedicated servers so the actual servers which run the network cost a lot less.

the article was about how much of a difference in costs it would be to add dedicated servers into psn's network.

basically £100K per year per game

Soldato

So no doubt Infinity studios will make it necessary to subscribe, because they know the sheeple will comply :D That isn't a great loss to me. Much of the online content has been a bit carp though, so could a subscription help remedy this? Take GT5 for example, the post game DLC and support was dire.

Soldato
So no doubt Infinity studios will make it necessary to subscribe, because they know the sheeple will comply :D That isn't a great loss to me. Much of the online content has been a bit carp though, so could a subscription help remedy this? Take GT5 for example, the post game DLC and support was dire.

I doubt it. PS+ revenue will be go towards the upkeep of the network, I can't see why it'd influence any additional content for games. That's down to the developers.

It was always going to go this way really. If it had remained free, we'd have been stuck with a second-rate service going into the next generation. At least with some money going directly into it, there'll be improvements and we can start expecting and demanding more from the service in terms of reduced downtime, features, integration etc.

I don't play online much so it's not a huge thing for me either way, but I am a PS+ subscriber anyway so it's good that the benefits will be there.

Caporegime
dedicated servers will we ever see them on consoles?

this is what makes the biggest difference.

the main problem with the ps3's network was the ps3, it was simply too crappy to do a lot of things at the same time, due to RAM limitations.

probably the reason why they have went overkill on RAM this time round.

also VM has issues with PSN or their servers, sony will blame VM and VM will blame sony, wo who knows for sure where the problem lies.

Back
Top Bottom