*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Associate
Probability on having to rebuy games for gaikai streaming if you already own the game in digital format? It would be great if you didn't have to rebuy them as I've already built up quite a large digital collection thanks to ps+.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
the bandwidth issue is moot tbh. as its 32megs when your hurling 3-4 gigs of memory about its a bottle neck.

also when you have a gpu using ddr3 rather than gddr5 thats a bit of a difference as well especially when you factor in the difference between the two machines.

the xbone comes with a gpu with 768 stream processors. the ps4 has a gpu with 1152 stream processors.

so you have a less powerful gpu and a slower system bus, i just cant see 32meg of super fast ram really improve things that much. and if the rumors of under clocking for the xbones apu are true they could lose even more ground, give it 3-4 years and i can see the xbone running out of steam, and dont forget ms have already confirmed that the operating system's (yes all 3 of them) will take 3 gigs of memory as the ps4 only takes up to 1gig for the os.

Caporegime
Im confused where we should discuss this as there pertinent info in the XO thread and stuff in this one too - its kinda confusing trying to get a single discussion going over both threads! Msmalls quote on the XO thread was quite interesting if true, its all gone cloudy again!

Surely as the PS4 must have a hypervisor then in reality the PS4 has 2 OSes (like the PS3) compared to the XOs 3, I think its just easier to refer to the PS4 OS and then MSes Game and App OS - dont really need to worry about the hypervisor do we? Unless it gets hacked :p

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
im just waiting for the flames ps3ud0, im just going off of the numbers that are floating around, as for numbers of os's on the ps4 im not sure but whatever it has its only supposed to have 1 gig reserved for it/them, unlike the xbone which has 3 gigs.

now i just hope i can get a good deal on a bundle (and a job) for the end of the year or early jan.

Caporegime
Id definitely think the main OS is encapsulated in a hypervisor as its a pretty standard way to attempt to secure the OS, they did it with the PS3 except they left the keys still in the front door :p

Dont disagree about the resource allocation, just that in reality this whole '3 OS' thing was more for PR than anything, it alludes to something more complicated than it really is (or needs to be). The XO should have a rather snappy UI though...

GAC

GAC

Soldato
yeah probably will be snappy but to lose 3 gigs of ram to it though, its got to hurt them down the road at some point.

Caporegime
I guess we will see, 5GBs sounds more than plenty now, Im sure most of us before the start of this year would have said that when thinking about the next gen of consoles. Its only the difference in specs that makes you think that 5GBs might not be enough...

On the flip side though, back when this gen was being launched Im sure you could have said that about 1Gb - all swings and roundabouts. Be interesting to see how a diversified console will do at what most consider should be its primary function...

GAC

GAC

Soldato
yeah for a console its a lot of memory compared to what has come before. but with the new machines being basically pc's and are now aiming to run at 1080P nativly that memory will be eaten up very quickly especially when textures start to be upped even more.

people just have to remember on both machines the memory is unified and the graphics will eat 2 gigs in a couple of years when devs start to push the textures and effects.

Soldato
I think with the textures and resolution there's a maximum size they can go before their just wasting memory. Your never going to be able to see the detail. There must be limits to amount of memory the graphics can use and be displayed. It'll be interesting to see what the memory does get used for.

Man of Honour
I think with the textures and resolution there's a maximum size they can go before their just wasting memory. Your never going to be able to see the detail. There must be limits to amount of memory the graphics can use and be displayed. It'll be interesting to see what the memory does get used for.

At low resolutions like 1080p the ceiling is pretty low for GPU RAM requirements, and 2GB should be plenty.

What they do with the other 6GB will be interesting, and it is the limited RAM that has been crippling the PS3 in the past 2 years so it's a very astute decision to really bump up the RAM in the PS4.

Caporegime
At low resolutions like 1080p the ceiling is pretty low for GPU RAM requirements, and 2GB should be plenty.

What they do with the other 6GB will be interesting, and it is the limited RAM that has been crippling the PS3 in the past 2 years so it's a very astute decision to really bump up the RAM in the PS4.

Plus the fact games are coded to work with very specific architecture makes it far more possible to get great results from humble specifications.

It crippled current generation games to do it, which is why so few did, but next generation it was specifically made in a way to make this possible,

Soldato
Plus the fact games are coded to work with very specific architecture makes it far more possible to get great results from humble specifications.

It crippled current generation games to do it, which is why so few did, but next generation it was specifically made in a way to make this possible,

Perhaps the greater RAM and "better" spec might secure more exclusives in future? Surely a developer wants the freedom of more RAM and the ability to make their games look better?

Back
Top Bottom