*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

I pre-ordered a ps4 back in june. Then cancelled my pre-order last month as decided i couldn't justify the purchase, now regretting it. Just pre-ordered again but gonna miss out on launch day now :(

I love the feeling this time around - the Internet is abuzz with the PS4 being the new PS2. Those were the days...

Yep, they seem to be doing everything perfectly this time. There has been only one negative so far, which is the fact you now have to pay to play online, but as we still get the great benefits of PS+ it doesn't bother me at all.:)

Yep, they seem to be doing everything perfectly this time. There has been only one negative so far, which is the fact you now have to pay to play online, but as we still get the great benefits of PS+ it doesn't bother me at all.:)

I haven't seen much negativity about charging for online and ps+ is a fantastic service and in think people realise the benefits you get crap all over the xbox.

I haven't seen much negativity about charging for online and ps+ is a fantastic service and in think people realise the benefits you get crap all over the xbox.

Yeah, they were smart to keep the current PS+ features. If they had announced you have to pay for online without the benefits of PS+ there would have been lots of unhappy people.

Depends if they improve the infrastructure with that money now coming in - its the main issue in my mind still

ps3ud0 :cool:

I'm sure I read a quote somewhere from Sony that said that is the exact reason they are charging now, they are going to spend all the money on improving the infrastructure.

I know what they said, but what have they done/are they doing? Ill happily give them the beneft of the doubt, but Im not naive about the outgoing concerns of the PS3 where PSN is the most notable...

I have. There are people that aren't happy about yet these are the same people that expect Sony to keep on improving PSN :rolleyes:

Depends if they improve the infrastructure with that money now coming in - its the main issue in my mind still

PSN isn't actually that bad. My main problem is the rubbish download speeds.
A lot of the other issues - no cross game chat, joining friends - are down to PS3 hardware limitations and bad interface design.

Oh Im not saying it is that bad, its just that movement from free to paid puts the onus on Sony to make notable/significant changes where needed - its completely acceptable for people to expect that and Sony need to demonstrate timely delivery of such improvements.

You just cant use the old adage, 'its good enough for free' anymore; and its sensible to be quite pragmatic while the PS4 launch seems to be going so well. All the good work Sony have done could be easily undone IMHO by not tackling a well known long-lived deficit...

EDIT: To clarify my concerns revolve around the PSN store speed; general download speeds; patching and package methodology; and game server backbone.

Last edited:
EDIT: To clarify my concerns revolve around the PSN store speed; general download speeds; patching and package methodology; and game server backbone.

The store is no longer a separate app in PS4, it's integrated into the XMB like on Xbox. General download speeds - this has to be ISP specific because I can max out my (paltry) 14Mbps at any time of day on PSN. Patching and packaging is all done in the background (when you are asleep if you choose). Whether they have streamlined it to only have <100MB downloads is another matter. When you almost have to download a gig of patch to get playing on PS3 is quite ridiculous.

I think the only one you mentioned that hasnt been really covered is packaging; I havent seen Sony mention what they are going to do there though I bloody hope they wrap patches within the original game data so when you do download a game its the latest version rather than v1 that needs subsequent patches - its not a hard thing to do

Found I got great speeds if I plugged in a network cable for downloading. Pretty turd over wifi. 60gb ps3

Would the problem of not maxing out speeds be hardware related? Just poor design?
As when I tested it. It would show as
Wired 11mb down 700k up
Wireless 6mb down 300up
I have a 17mb line fttc

Back
Top Bottom