*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime
With regards to online passes - I can play the single player part of a used game no problem. I want to go online then it costs me a bit. Publishers need money to keep the servers up.
If they keep the system the same for the next gen then i'm fine with it.

to me their model doesn't make much sense as it is currently.

buy the game brand new and i get an online pass included, so i can play the game online.

buy the game second hand and now i have to buy an online pass as it has been used, but the original owner cannot use their online pass due to no longer having the disc.

therefore there is no more strain being put on the servers. the cost of keeping the servers running comes from the initial sale.

imo the online passes are developers becoming greedy, especially since EA were one of the first to implement them.

i never buy games second hand anyway, so it doesn't matter much to me, would rather wait for them to come on psn + for free or discounted heavily before getting them apart from the usual suspects like fifa, ufc, gta and cod.

Caporegime
Except it now needs two cameras to do additional things or something - stuff to do with orientation

Do think its bizarre to make that inbuilt but not to bundle the camera - perhaps the old works just without the new additional features. I do get the feeling this is in addition to the existing move controllers and not a replacement of...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Two cameras, are you sure?!? So the PS4 would need two extra camera peripherals, or are they built into one units? Surely that takes up both USB slots :confused:

And move works without any other hardware required?

Nope, doesn't work at all. That's what is really odd.

Soldato
Two cameras, are you sure?!? So the PS4 would need two extra camera peripherals, or are they built into one units? Surely that takes up both USB slots :confused:
The PS4 Camera has 2 lenses (a bit like a 3d camera)

the ps3 could connect 7 controllers (a weird amount as with fifa that would mean 3 v 4). anyone know how many the ps4 can handle?
I think the limit on PS3 was to do with the bluetooth standard (8 devices could be linked - The host + 7 others)

Nothing has been mentioned about how many the PS4 can have connected

Caporegime
No its a unit with two cameras so it can decide distance/orientation better than the original one camera eyetoy. Its why the original move controller was a sphere so that relative size imparted distance from the camera.

Caporegime
usb ports are probably one of the cheapest components on a pc, my pc has about 16.

don't understand why they went with 2 as a lot of people complained about this last time round.

someone should message sony telling them to add more in the future revised models of the console as using hubs just gets messy.

Caporegime
What's people doing with their expensive current gen accessories? Such as fight sticks etc, selling them or hoping for some sort of adapter?
Ill be amazed/annoyed if theres any change from Sony - still expecting my TE fightstick and G25 to work out of the box...

Caporegime
What's people doing with their expensive current gen accessories? Such as fight sticks etc, selling them or hoping for some sort of adapter?

my £135 headset is incompatible due to removing the av multi out port.

i now need to buy a optical to rca converter and have that plugged in eating electricity constantly as well as the headset, etc, etc.

a bit miffed tbh, but the convertor is under £20. i could sell the headset tbh and buy something a lot smaller, but it is crystal clear and made by logitech who i like a lot.

Soldato
The fact that the PlayStation camera won’t be sold in the same box as the PS4 raised some questions between the playerbase, and today Sony Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida shed some light on the reasons behind the decision as part of a wider interview on the Japanese gaming site Game Watch.
Since there are multiple possibilities opened by the PS4, there’s no need for all games to use the functions of the peripherals

Rather than forcing every user to buy the camera, I think it’s better to to allow a separate purchase just for those that will enjoy it. Selling the camera separately means that the main console can be more affordable.

So it's to bring the price down, as thought. Wonder when they made the decision though.

edit* At least we aren't forced to buy a peripheral that we don't really want - though I am interested to see what they do with Kinect - will it mean that the potential functionality will be ignored by devs?

Last edited:
Associate
my £135 headset is incompatible due to removing the av multi out port.

i now need to buy a optical to rca converter and have that plugged in eating electricity constantly as well as the headset, etc, etc.

a bit miffed tbh, but the convertor is under £20. i could sell the headset tbh and buy something a lot smaller, but it is crystal clear and made by logitech who i like a lot.

That sucks really :( I'm just in limbo myself, same as ps3ud0 I'm hoping the USB side of things work to boot. Although personally I have to use an XCM cross battle converter (360 te stick) I just don't want to be disappointed and find it doesn't work, and be left with my stick that's then devalued due to the ps4 release.

Caporegime
The problem youve got Pac3y is some stuff might be offloaded (on purpose) to the touchpad to make it harder for third party accessory manufacturers. Do third parties even have pressure-sensitive buttons on their controllers?

Im a bit worried now Ive assumed it will be fine as thats not a small amount of money to burn - obviously still works on PC, but I dont game that much on it anymore...

EDIT: LOL forgot that you are talking about a 360 fightstick! LOL

Last edited:
Soldato
PS4 launch date not set in stone yet, but they are aiming for before the end of November.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/06/12/source-ps4-release-date-not-set-in-stone-yet

Also

iss2kazsnuir.gif

bwahaa

Caporegime
That sucks really :( I'm just in limbo myself, same as ps3ud0 I'm hoping the USB side of things work to boot. Although personally I have to use an XCM cross battle converter (360 te stick) I just don't want to be disappointed and find it doesn't work, and be left with my stick that's then devalued due to the ps4 release.

this is interesting but

the ps2 was compatible with usb headsets and so was the ps3, so no reason why the ps4 wont be.

therefore fingers crossed my headset works, otherwise £135 plus £20 for the convertor means i now have a very expensive paperweight if it doesn't.

as for other peripherals, im not so sure, because obviously usb headsets use a standard, is there a standard for game sticks? i wouldnt think so but if there is the more likely they shall work.

hopefully the sticks are configured in such a way BC is probable.

i will just have to wait and see now if my headset works, it wasn't cheap so you can see how im miffed.

will stick to £5 headsets in future if it isnt compatible.

Soldato
2 major impacts as I see it which give a significant advantage to Sony:

1) Game rentals from physical and by-post stores like Blockbuster will be limited to PS4.
2) Game owners can sell/trade PS4 games on eBay, forums etc etc whereas they can't with the X1. Even if there is a publisher activation fee on second hand games this still won't effect the ability to sell PS4 games via any s/h channel.

Even if X1 removes online authentication every 24 hours it won't resolve the above. They will have to remove the official re-seller channels as well and any hard-wired DRM restrictions for publisher/MS activation.

Then there is the Kinect conspiracy to contend with and how much data it will really gather. Wouldn't surprise me if they were going to implement facial recognition as part of the DRM at some point too.

I don't recall this level of backlash surrounding a console launch ever. Even when the PS3 was delayed people were disgruntled at best.

It's because people expect more nowadays. Nothing more. If you really break the pre-rendered game graphics down, then you may as well stick with the current gen consoles.

All I do is play games on consoles. I have a BR player, I have the ability to watch TV on demand, hell, I only just setup SmartGlass....

Don't make the mistake that used/PO games are out for the X1, they aren't. All that will happen is they will have a higher price of the equivalent PS game, and if the channels are right, the authentication will be taken care of through those channels.

Re the Kinnect, so? Wow, a camera. I have a laptop camera staring at me all day. I'll just put some tape over it.

24 hour hand shake...yes, like all of our Sky /Virgin boxes do....big whoop

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom