*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime
What Im talking about is the fact that MS will be setting up a system for retailers to use to allow them to service customers that want sell/buy used XO games. Sony arent doing any of that AFAIK and have said 'If a third-party publisher wants to do something server-side with their own content, there's not much we can do about that.'

Thats quite a distinction that I was aiming at.

EDIT: As m4rk84 mentioned a lot of what MS have said is integrated into the XO OS...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Several development sources have told us that they expect game publishers to implement similar DRM policies across Xbox One and PS4, despite what has unfolded at E3 this week.

Our contacts described Sony’s conference announcements as a PR play, and revealed that its decision to go DRM-free was made at the very last minute.

Each platform holder’s DRM policy has changed continually over the last few months, they said, though Microsoft’s initial stance was much tougher than its position today. This suggests that the platform holder’s decision to let publishers decide for themselves whether to implement DRM on Xbox One was not part of the original plan.

Ultimately, the developers we spoke to understand the need to protect the revenues made on their work, and expect to see broadly similar DRM restrictions across both PS4 and Xbox One – in one instance, it was suggested that these measures were essential for the console business to survive.

We were also told that final publishing agreements will not be drawn up for at least another month, so the terms of engagement could yet change once more before each console launches at the end of the year.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-...ar-policies-across-both-consoles-say-sources/

So it would seem (if to be believed) that things may yet change over the coming months.

Soldato
Sony will keep to the current DRM, same as ps3. Let the pubs do as they wish but if they slap on "online activation required" and "not for re-sale" on the box then they are going to be facing EU law. Edge getting hits imo.

Caporegime
http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-...ar-policies-across-both-consoles-say-sources/

So it would seem (if to be believed) that things may yet change over the coming months.
Gawd I heard a rumour yesterday that publishers dont want DRM and its only MS that wants it implemented into the XO. I think its a whole lot of crap out there and we, as consumers, are just stuffed once it settles down. Great time to be a gamer, we are just too popular to ignore :/:p

EDIT: Im getting to the opinion that its retailers rather than pirates that really have caused this mess :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Sony will keep to the current DRM, same as ps3. Let the pubs do as they wish but if they slap on "online activation required" and "not for re-sale" on the box then they are going to be facing EU law. Edge getting hits imo.

Why would they be facing EU law? Why has EU law not stopped the online codes needed to play online, which needs online activation....

Soldato
What Im talking about is the fact that MS will be setting up a system for retailers to use to allow them to service customers that want sell/buy used XO games. Sony arent doing any of that AFAIK and have said 'If a third-party publisher wants to do something server-side with their own content, there's not much we can do about that.'

Thats quite a distinction that I was aiming at.

EDIT: As m4rk84 mentioned a lot of what MS have said is integrated into the XO OS...

2 major impacts as I see it which give a significant advantage to Sony:

1) Game rentals from physical and by-post stores like Blockbuster will be limited to PS4.
2) Game owners can sell/trade PS4 games on eBay, forums etc etc whereas they can't with the X1. Even if there is a publisher activation fee on second hand games this still won't effect the ability to sell PS4 games via any s/h channel.

Even if X1 removes online authentication every 24 hours it won't resolve the above. They will have to remove the official re-seller channels as well and any hard-wired DRM restrictions for publisher/MS activation.

Then there is the Kinect conspiracy to contend with and how much data it will really gather. Wouldn't surprise me if they were going to implement facial recognition as part of the DRM at some point too.

I don't recall this level of backlash surrounding a console launch ever. Even when the PS3 was delayed people were disgruntled at best.

Soldato
Just preordered a ps4 thru Amazon. $399 delivered. I'm in the US, so it makes no difference to me, but with the ps4 being region free, surely given the cost differences, won't most be buying from the US? I wonder if the power will be internal or external. If ext, I can see a lot of grey imports being sold.

Soldato
Just preordered a ps4 thru Amazon. $399 delivered. I'm in the US, so it makes no difference to me, but with the ps4 being region free, surely given the cost differences, won't most be buying from the US? I wonder if the power will be internal or external. If ext, I can see a lot of grey imports being sold.

Power supply is internal.

Makes no sense to import a PS4, the cost savings after import duty just means you'll save very little.

Buying games overseas however, but then will anyone bother doing that? Its not like the SNES days of old, where games were released in the US and Jap markets way before europe.

Caporegime
I think if there was a big difference in release dates and the price difference is worth not having a warranty then I could see it being worth the hassle. I cant see why the PS4 PSU wont be auto-sensing like the PS3s was...

Personally for me I just cant see it being worth the saving of say a free game at best...

Caporegime
Power supply is internal.

Makes no sense to import a PS4, the cost savings after import duty just means you'll save very little.

Buying games overseas however, but then will anyone bother doing that? Its not like the SNES days of old, where games were released in the US and Jap markets way before europe.

there are no savings.

what you lose in warranty and consumer rights, means you end up worse off.

also it's usually a 1:1 conversion rate, but this time it isn't especially when you take sales tax into account, the UK are finally getting it for a very good price.

sony have done extremely well this time round.

the only thing we need is a confirmed release date for the UK, as we normally get it later than the rest of the planet.

Soldato
have kept my PS4 pre-order and am reasonably happy, my only complaint is the specs for the eye and that it is optional, Id rather pay a bit more and have something with the kinnect specs as (and I might be in a group of one) I believe that the xbox devs will do some really cool stuff with it..

Caporegime
have kept my PS4 pre-order and am reasonably happy, my only complaint is the specs for the eye and that it is optional, Id rather pay a bit more and have something with the kinnect specs as (and I might be in a group of one) I believe that the xbox devs will do some really cool stuff with it..

its a gimmick, pads will always be better than waving a stick about for most games that arent wii sports or similar.

honestly the amount of people who have a kinect and it see's zero use is hilarious. i even told someone i know not to buy it he will never use it after the first 2 weeks. he went ahead and yeah its now a £100 paper weight.

Soldato
With regards to online passes - I can play the single player part of a used game no problem. I want to go online then it costs me a bit. Publishers need money to keep the servers up.
If they keep the system the same for the next gen then i'm fine with it.

Caporegime
They've built in the move controller part essentially.
Except it now needs two cameras to do additional things or something - stuff to do with orientation

Do think its bizarre to make that inbuilt but not to bundle the camera - perhaps the old works just without the new additional features. I do get the feeling this is in addition to the existing move controllers and not a replacement of...

Back
Top Bottom