*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
A 2TB SSD is around £200, or £170 - £180 if you keep you eyes out for the "daily sales" at certain retailers.
The £85 2TB Firecuda hybrid drive is a popular upgrade - again, straight swap out.

Easiest option is just plug in any USB3 external drive of your choice.
If I remember rightly, the throughput on the PS4 is severely limited because it uses a USB->SATA interface. It's a waste of time buying an SSD.

As suggested, I just got a 2TB Firecuda which i think was £99 at the time and that works great. Easy peasy, just get the OS on USB ready.

Soldato
It's not a waste of time, but the benefits are not as significant as they could be. My SSD is still far, far quicker than the SSHD/Firecuda drives were.
I suppose if you're playing a lot of single player games and don't mind paying the extra cash, it could be worth it. I was being a tightwad and wanted bang for buck. :)

In multiplayer you're just going to be waiting even longer for everyone else to load up :D

Last edited:
Soldato
You won't get the "full bandwidth" of the SSD - but it will still be quicker than an HDD by the very nature it's a solid state drive.
I have a 2TB Kingston SSD installed in my Pro and there is a noticeable difference in loading times, just not night & Day.

I'll be taking the 2TB drive out at some point and making that a USB3 external drive, which will then be used with my PS5 for PS4 games. I'll slam something like a 1TB MX500 in as an internal.

Soldato
Wow. Did you not consider to uninstall like 5 or 10, surely you do not play all 21 at the same time? :)

That said some people do have slow connections to the internet, so that could be a reason.
I have 41 games currently installed on my 2tb ext drive. 13 of them are PSVR games and demos. The rest are PS4 games. I keep a varied amount of games installed as I may not always feel like playing the same game all the time to completion. Or I might feel like short blasts on a few different games.

Would be a pain downloading them every time I felt like playing a different game.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have 41 games currently installed on my 2tb ext drive. 13 of them are PSVR games and demos. The rest are PS4 games. I keep a varied amount of games installed as I may not always feel like playing the same game all the time to completion. Or I might feel like short blasts on a few different games.

Would be a pain downloading them every time I felt like playing a different game.
Fair enough, I like to concentrate on a few games at a time. Maybe due to the type of games I play, I get much more fun out of it that way. I would lose interest if I did what you do.

Soldato
Fair enough, I like to concentrate on a few games at a time. Maybe due to the type of games I play, I get much more fun out of it that way. I would lose interest if I did what you do.
Yeah to be fair upgrading my drive was a bit of a waste of time as far as capacity is concerned as I tend to play -> complete -> delete, unless it's a casual game I can play occasionally like Rocket League.

Soldato
Yeah to be fair upgrading my drive was a bit of a waste of time as far as capacity is concerned as I tend to play -> complete -> delete, unless it's a casual game I can play occasionally like Rocket League.
That's pretty much how I roll, out of interest to the guy above you mention vr games. Are they typically bigger than a non Vr game?

Soldato
If anyone needs a laugh...

I had woken up at 4am, decided to edit and upload some Snowrunner gameplay. Plugged my USB stick in to copy the clips over. Upon trying to copy the files to my USB stick I had gotten "the usb storage device is not connected". Spent about 30 minutes troubleshooting online only to find I had accidentally plugged it into the Ethernet Port RIGHT beside the USB port... woops!

Soldato
I keep an eye on the Amazon Warehouse sites across Europe for the Move Controllers - well I did, I managed to grab some from the Italy Warehouse site for around £50 delivered - open/unused.
Won't say they come up regularly, but enough do appear and even with delivery from Europe the prices are a lot fairer.

Soldato
I think I have a couple of Move controllers I haven't used for years, got them when a I bought a second-hand PS3. I'll stick them on the MM if I find them, they'll have been barely used.

Man of Honour
I’m continuing to limp my way through resident evil 7 and.... holy ****.... as I said you need balls of steel to play this game. Just... daymmmmm!!!!!

I dread whatever treats are in store for me *gulp*

Back
Top Bottom