Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 27 11.6%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 146 62.7%
  • No (other)

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • Pancake

Votes: 12 5.2%

• Total voters
fast-and-furious-nitros.gif
Hope the pros manifold will be ok. :D

I do think we'll see 500-550 as the PS6/new Xbox launch prices or something like 499 digital, 549 with a disc drive - unless both decide to move away from disc drives as a standard and only offer them as 'attachments'.

Absolutely - and let's remember the effects of inflation, both generally and specifically for GPUs - it's been a very long time since a flagship GPU sold for sub-£500 for example.

The PS1 was ~$600 on release in today's money.
Yes, it was a *much* bigger leap from 16-bit consoles - but it was also crap quality in comparison to today's consoles - pads now feel like they're cheap tat from the stone age, no storage, no updates, seperate memory cards etc. Consoles are simply much better quality now, they can do more, have higher quality accessories etc.
So I think it's no big deal that £700 is the new normal, people will get used to it the same way they've got used to £1200 for an iPhone, because the iPhone does way more than a £1000 phone from 1996 regardless of it being hardly any better than last year's model.

Given the stats; 75% of PS5 owners choose the 60fps mode and 80-90% of Nvidia GPU owners use DLSS (taken from Digital Foundry's recent videos on PS5 Pro), it very much points to a market where people don't care about native resolution but more about performance and frame-rates. And if what the Remedy spokesperson (replied on Resetera to the 840p on Alan Wake 2 news) then there is much more to image fidelity than native resolution. I guess part of this is if your upscaling tech is so good where it doesn't impact image fidelity then you may as well use it to make that GPU power available elsewhere.
I'm all for that. I would much prefer frame rate over res any day. It's just that the consoles have to downgrade the resolution so much and use 4k trickery to get to that 60fps target. I suppose that's the price you pay for a cheap console. (except the PS5 Pro that is)

Absolutely - and let's remember the effects of inflation, both generally and specifically for GPUs - it's been a very long time since a flagship GPU sold for sub-£500 for example.

The PS1 was ~$600 on release in today's money.
Yes, it was a *much* bigger leap from 16-bit consoles - but it was also crap quality in comparison to today's consoles - pads now feel like they're cheap tat from the stone age, no storage, no updates, seperate memory cards etc. Consoles are simply much better quality now, they can do more, have higher quality accessories etc.
So I think it's no big deal that £700 is the new normal, people will get used to it the same way they've got used to £1200 for an iPhone, because the iPhone does way more than a £1000 phone from 1996 regardless of it being hardly any better than last year's model.
This logic is dumb and also annoying, many factors were different then such as people’s wages, cost of living crisis.

Part costs for manufactures and inflation would impact many things in every part of the world just cause it was x doesn’t garuntee at all a ps1 is £600 etc

Phone costs are also ridiculous and mostly hidden as people have them on contract so don’t look at the cost I suspect

DF just released a new video on FF7 Remake, they call it "Remarkable Visual Turnaround".

Improvement, yes. Remarkable Visual Turnaround is a bit strong. I would apply that between the 1997 original to the PS5 version, that difference is remarkable. But the difference here is marginal in my book.
Just watched the video, it's a pritty mega upgrade to image clarity. I tried the demo on performance mode and it was shockingly bad and so was quality mode.

Looks like pssr is really good, might even evolve to be close to dlss.
Next gen amd cards are going to benefit massively through this.

I think that df video hold sold me, I’ve yet to play rebirth and seeing what it’s like on ps5 performance mode is a bit of a shocker. Refuse to play at 30fps so looks like after all the moaning and bitching about the price I’ll be getting a pro :cry:

Last edited:
I don't know why I haven't seen all that many of your posts before, Timber, but I'm finding myself agreeing with about 95% of what you say.

Thank you, too much time on my hands although I've never had someone agree with me so much so must be something right! :)

DF just released a new video on FF7 Remake, they call it "Remarkable Visual Turnaround".

Improvement, yes. Remarkable Visual Turnaround is a bit strong. I would apply that between the 1997 original to the PS5 version, that difference is remarkable. But the difference here is marginal in my book.

I'll be honest that DF video sold the PS5 Pro better than the Sony presentation last week. I can't disagree with the DF wording and imagine in person it's even more noticeable.

I'm all for that. I would much prefer frame rate over res any day. It's just that the consoles have to downgrade the resolution so much and use 4k trickery to get to that 60fps target. I suppose that's the price you pay for a cheap console. (except the PS5 Pro that is)

I think the issue is that up until now consoles have been very limited in using dynamic resolution scaling, software or similar techniques to get to 4K/60 outside of the easier to run games; i.e. esports etc. Now the PS5 Pro will have a hardware based up-sampling in it's armoury meaning that to all intent purposes it will won't look significantly different from true 4K/60. And that DF video on FF7 Rebirth seems to be an example of where it works.

You're buying a pro when you barely used the PS5 you sold, and when you did play on it, it's the odd game of FIFA :confused:

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about above i.e. FOMO :D
I don't think its FOMO because I'm unlikely to get it on launch. Also I need the black faceplates to be available (those too compatible with the disc drive) before I even consider buying it as, I know this is completely subjective but, that white console absolutely trashes my stealth black decor.
I guess there are several angles to look at it. If you look at it as 1 lump upgrade, the £700, or £800 because you currently have an original disk PS5. Then it is huge sums of money for a console.

If you look at it as selling current console, then upgrading. You take less of a hit. But still going to be around £500 minimum. As they seem to go for that much used. It is less, but still a lot. If then you consider £100 for more storage, it is £400.

So I would look at the upgrade for the difference at around £400. I am ignoring the cost of the stand, it will stand up without it, it will function just fine without the stand.

I wonder if they would ever go back to old Nintendo/sega model where they introduce a port in PS6, so in the mid cycle you can get an hardware add on to attach to it for improve performance. They could sell this add on at like £400 and it would work out the same as upgrading mid cycle. Of course, you won't get the bragging rights in terms of "selling more consoles" if you do that, and I would think there will be more people who would rather get a new console than an add on.
I was actually looking at this similarly. £700 as a lump sum might be a substantial amount but £400 is more acceptable and that's round about where I'll end up with the Pro, because the hole in my pocket would only be £400 and £300 is just something I've already banked on.

However, I'll have to add the disc drive as although all my PS games are digital but still I wouldn't want to get myself locked out of any disc deals in the future. The vertical stand I'm not worried about too much, Ali's got a great range starting from quarter of the official prices and I'll probably get one from there.

I don't think its FOMO because I'm unlikely to get it on launch.

But why would you want one if you hardly ever switched your PS5 on except for a few games of FIFA?

I can understand people wanting one who use their PS5 regularly and want to play titles at higher framerates without the blurriness that performance mode brings.

LOL

Might as well just port the pc version back :cry: . I'm happy with remasters if they can't be easily played, i.e. ps1/2/3 games (mgs4 in particular).

But why would you want one if you hardly ever switched your PS5 on except for a few games of FIFA?

I can understand people wanting one who use their PS5 regularly and want to play titles at higher framerates without the blurriness that performance mode brings.
Few games of FIFA don't deserve a Pro?? :p I'm gonna make sure that I use it more often then.

Last edited:
I think they do to at least some extent, but the problem is that unlike a PC GPU upgrade, unless those older games are updated to take advantage of the new hardware the gains are likely to be minimal at best. "Boost" mode on the PS4 Pro (designed to improve performance on games without updates) usually achieved very little in my experience and in some cases xould break things.

That's not such a difficult thing to accept when you're paying a modest amount for the uprated console, but at £700 there really needs to be clear improvements in every game so I hope Sony are either encouraging devs to update games or have improved how Boost mode works.
A Resident Evil: Code Veronica remake done properly would be quite popular I'd imagine. A lot of people are nostalgic for their earlier gaming years. I prefer emulation, but that's just me.

I can't find the corresponding article on Playstation blog to see how much all this costs!

There is a skin for the Dual Speeder in Astrobot that is almost identical to this new special edition controller!

When I unlocked it in game a few days ago I searched online thinking maybe Sony had released the controller already or as part of the games release, but I just found 3rd party sklns and modded controllers. It's always annoyed me that Dual Sense ditched the iconic face button colours, and just leaving the 4 symbols instead. PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 all had coloured face buttons.

I think I would be willing to pay 75 euros for this. Normally the Dualsense is around 60 euros, but a few weeks ago it went up to 70ish.

Edit: Article is there now but no prices. Sony Fail.

rp2000

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom