Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
This has to be for the PS5 Pro in order to show it off, before and after pics if you will. It still doesn't make sense either way.

The sad thing is, folks will still go out and buy the damn thing since gamers can't control themselves so yes Astrobot Remastered for 2025!

I think they pitched this backwards. Do many people actually want to replay old games with fractionally better graphic?

I know they are treading a fine line that they can't alienate existing PS5 owners, or people looking to get the base version. They can't really say "the old one is bad now, you need to get the new one." But the angle they are pitching this in, "look at these last gen games, look at how much better it is (if you zoom in and squint)".

It must be the first console release where they have not looked forward? and just backwards?

I think they pitched this backwards. Do many people actually want to replay old games with fractionally better graphic?

I know they are treading a fine line that they can't alienate existing PS5 owners, or people looking to get the base version. They can't really say "the old one is bad now, you need to get the new one." But the angle they are pitching this in, "look at these last gen games, look at how much better it is (if you zoom in and squint)".

It must be the first console release where they have not looked forward? and just backwards?
I think the remasters and remakes are only valid when the original games were 15+ years ago from a much older generation. Where the technology was much less advanced.

Still buying it. I just don’t get why anyone would care how I (or anyone else purchasing the pro) spend my money
I don't think anyone cares how you spend your money. I think the wider concern is that if Sony see's a PS5 Pro sellout at launch for 700 quid then we're going to see a substantial change in the price of consoles going forward.

I think they do to at least some extent, but the problem is that unlike a PC GPU upgrade, unless those older games are updated to take advantage of the new hardware the gains are likely to be minimal at best. "Boost" mode on the PS4 Pro (designed to improve performance on games without updates) usually achieved very little in my experience and in some cases xould break things.

That's not such a difficult thing to accept when you're paying a modest amount for the uprated console, but at £700 there really needs to be clear improvements in every game so I hope Sony are either encouraging devs to update games or have improved how Boost mode works.

Geez ... what's with the remasters of games that are only several years old ? Who wants that ? The original looks perfectly fine as it is, and if I was that desperate to play it with optimal visual quality/ high frame rate then I'd just get it on PC.

They have been pulling the same trick since the PS3 days. Uptil now, we have Last of Us 2 remastered....which you can easily play the PS4 original on the PS5 :confused:

They have been pulling the same trick since the PS3 days. Uptil now, we have Last of Us 2 remastered....which you can easily play the PS4 original on the PS5 :confused:
I'm okay with that, it's a £10 upgrade for existing owners of the PS4 version and you get some extra features and content. I still haven't bought Part 1 though as the pricing was ridiculous.

I think they do to at least some extent, but the problem is that unlike a PC GPU upgrade, unless those older games are updated to take advantage of the new hardware the gains are likely to be minimal at best. "Boost" mode on the PS4 Pro (designed to improve performance on games without updates) usually achieved very little in my experience and in some cases could break things.

That's not such a difficult thing to accept when you're paying a modest amount for the uprated console, but at £700 there really needs to be clear improvements in every game so I hope Sony are either encouraging devs to update games or have improved how Boost mode works.

I guess there are several angles to look at it. If you look at it as 1 lump upgrade, the £700, or £800 because you currently have an original disk PS5. Then it is huge sums of money for a console.

If you look at it as selling current console, then upgrading. You take less of a hit. But still going to be around £500 minimum. As they seem to go for that much used. It is less, but still a lot. If then you consider £100 for more storage, it is £400.

So I would look at the upgrade for the difference at around £400. I am ignoring the cost of the stand, it will stand up without it, it will function just fine without the stand.

I wonder if they would ever go back to old Nintendo/sega model where they introduce a port in PS6, so in the mid cycle you can get an hardware add on to attach to it for improve performance. They could sell this add on at like £400 and it would work out the same as upgrading mid cycle. Of course, you won't get the bragging rights in terms of "selling more consoles" if you do that, and I would think there will be more people who would rather get a new console than an add on.

I'm okay with that, it's a £10 upgrade for existing owners of the PS4 version and you get some extra features and content. I still haven't bought Part 1 though as the pricing was ridiculous.

People would have been more happy if they used those resources for a new game instead of an remaster no one asked for.

Remasters are fine if the game is over 10 years old or they cant be played on current platforms.

I think the wider concern is that if Sony see's a PS5 Pro sellout at launch for 700 quid then we're going to see a substantial change in the price of consoles going forward.

This is the interesting point, on just how much console hardware will go up in price and not just the mid-gen refresh.

Whilst I don't think we'll see a PS6 for £389 (i.e. the current PS5 Digital RRP) I do wonder if it gets as high as £700. Based on their commentary and the fact their Series X 2TB w/optical drive is £549 I suspect Microsoft is of the same thinking as Sony around prices. I.e. less subsidy on hardware and looked to a profit. However I think Sony do have a relatively uncontested space with the PS5 Pro to test a price quickly react to it (i.e. drop it) and see what the impact is on sales. Obviously only time will tell and there are lots of other factors at play such as inflation etc. which can't be predicted.

Last edited:
Basically the PS5 Pro is the console that should have been released in the first place. The original PS5 should never have been advertised as 4k. Dynamic resolution and upscaling is not 4k gaming. How many games are true 4k? It can barely reach 60fps. If it does, it's on performance mode (1080p or there abouts)

So the PS5 Pro will now be able to get a little closer to 4k (wow).

It would not surprise me if the PS6 would not reach true 4k.

Dynamic resolution and upscaling is not 4k gaming. How many games are true 4k?

Given the stats; 75% of PS5 owners choose the 60fps mode and 80-90% of Nvidia GPU owners use DLSS (taken from Digital Foundry's recent videos on PS5 Pro), it very much points to a market where people don't care about native resolution but more about performance and frame-rates. And if what the Remedy spokesperson (replied on Resetera to the 840p on Alan Wake 2 news) then there is much more to image fidelity than native resolution. I guess part of this is if your upscaling tech is so good where it doesn't impact image fidelity then you may as well use it to make that GPU power available elsewhere.

Last edited:
Still buying it. I just don’t get why anyone would care how I (or anyone else purchasing the pro) spend my money

Who's questioning it? I think you're trying to justify it yourself.

It's like it's been said many times, I bet everyone in here can buy it, but most don't see it being worth it. In my eyes, it's like going from an iPhone 15 to a 16, or an Apple Watch 9 to a 10, completely underwhelming. The excitement will be the build-up to the release date, unboxing, then turning the thing on and...meh.

Who's questioning it? I think you're trying to justify it yourself.

It's like it's been said many times, I bet everyone in here can buy it, but most don't see it being worth it. In my eyes, it's like going from an iPhone 15 to a 16, or an Apple Watch 9 to a 10, completely underwhelming. The excitement will be the build-up to the release date, unboxing, then turning the thing on and...meh.

The phone analogy is appropriate here.

It's not about affordability, it is about how much difference I can tell in actual use. Not pixel peeping, but actual use.

Even if I can...we can go back to this list again. The value proposition isn't there.

This is the interesting point, on just how much console hardware will go up in price and not just the mid-gen refresh.

Whilst I don't think we'll see a PS6 for £389 (i.e. the current PS5 Digital RRP) I do wonder if it gets as high as £700. Based on their commentary and the fact their Series X 2TB w/optical drive is £549 I suspect Microsoft is of the same thinking as Sony around prices. I.e. less subsidy on hardware and looked to a profit. However I think Sony do have a relatively uncontested space with the PS5 Pro to test a price quickly react to it (i.e. drop it) and see what the impact is on sales. Obviously only time will tell and there are lots of other factors at play such as inflation etc. which can't be predicted.
I don't know why I haven't seen all that many of your posts before, Timber, but I'm finding myself agreeing with about 95% of what you say.

I do think we'll see 500-550 as the PS6/new Xbox launch prices or something like 499 digital, 549 with a disc drive - unless both decide to move away from disc drives as a standard and only offer them as 'attachments'.

I agree about the less subsidy now on the hardware, especially initially at launch. I think it was Digital Foundry who said that both Xbox and PlayStation had commented that they aren't really growing the console space to new users, the majority of people that buy a console right now are people that have previously owned a console so perhaps their logic is about no longer subsidising to grow a base.

For me, the most interesting thing going into the new generation is what happens in the CPU space and whether we see 3D vcache incorporated into the consoles as part of their APU. It could be such a great addition to removing the current limitation of the PS5 (and the PS5 Pro).

I am just hoping we get more hands on impressions before pre-orders go live. Price is not an issue for me I just need to be convinced that it’s going to be worth £700 (or £450 after selling my PS5). Not bothered about the drive or the stand.

I agree. But let’s see what it can do with boost mode too

fast-and-furious-nitros.gif

Back
Top Bottom