• Digital Only Version

Votes: 172 16.2%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I wouldn't be worrying about the noise. The console has a fixed power profile with a known maximum limit, so surely the engineers have designed the cooling knowing this and therefore the system will be the quietest ever. If they haven't done this, then frankly that's idiotic. :p

Presumably they knew the power/thermals last time but yet it still sounds like a jet engine taking off. The device may well still be running "within expected thermal parameters" but that sure as hell doesn't mean it's quiet!

The regular PS4 isn't too bad but the drone the Ps4 Pro makes is obnoxious at times.

Soldato
You didn't catch the sarcasm, I take it? ;)

OK, whatever you say pal.

I wouldn't be worrying about the noise. The console has a fixed power profile with a known maximum limit, so surely the engineers have designed the cooling knowing this and therefore the system will be the quietest ever. If they haven't done this, then frankly that's idiotic. :p

Well, have you seen the design? I suppose the marmite effect could have been intentional but maybe they just had a bunch of nutters doing nutter things when they designed the form factor and cooling? :p

On a serious note it seems like the design is less cooling orientated - so more form over function. But I guess we will have to wait till we can see what's under the hood or at least some early reviews showing it in use under load. I cant say my pro is particularly noisy. My gaming laptop, however, sounds like a jet engine whenever I play games! Lol.

Caporegime
Presumably they knew the power/thermals last time but yet it still sounds like a jet engine taking off. The device may well still be running "within expected thermal parameters" but that sure as hell doesn't mean it's quiet!

I suppose not but in his Road to PS5 talk, Mark did say about the PS4 Pro noise and that it shouldn't be an issue this time around. This is what he said

Our process on previous consoles has been to try to guess what the maximum power consumption during the entire console lifetime might be which is to say the worst case scene in the worst case game and prepare a cooling solution that we think will be quiet at that power level.

If we get it right fan noise is minimal if we get it wrong the console will be quite loud for the higher power games and there's even a chance that it might overheat and shut down if we mis-estimate power too badly.

PlayStation 5 is especially challenging because the CPU supports 256 bit native instructions that consume a lot of power.

These are great here and there but presumably only minimally used or are they if we plan for major 256 bit instruction usage we need to set the CPU clock substantially lower or noticeably increase the size of the power supply and fan.

So after much discussion we decided to go with a very different direction on PlayStation 5.

We supply a generous amount of electrical power and then increase the frequency of GPU and CPU until they reach the capabilities of the system's cooling solution.

It's a completely different paradigm rather than running at constant frequency and letting power vary based on the workload we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency band vary based on the workload.

We then tackled the engineering challenge of a cost-effective and high-performance cooling solution designed for that specific power level.

Last edited:
Soldato
The likely reason for this is because games are not designed to make use of the extra speed. When games are designed around it it can make a difference.

Yep, the whole point is that games may not even need to "load" in the traditional sense, because the storage is so fast data can be accessed and decompressed on-the-fly whilst system memory is used more effectively. The entire storage architecture is designed around this concept. I saw a quote yesterday saying the NBA title that was shown loads in two seconds.

The regular PS4 isn't too bad but the drone the Ps4 Pro makes is obnoxious at times.

It's completely different hardware and design though, whether it's loud or not will have almost nothing to do with the PS4. From the looks of it there's plenty of ventilation.

Soldato
I think it looks great, so much better than that black box mock-up posted the other day (and the one to its right in that image above, for that matter).

An all-black one would look great too.

Soldato
I think it looks great, so much better than that black box mock-up posted the other day (and the one to its right in that image above, for that matter).

An all-black one would look great too.

Looks like a cheap dehumidifier to me, and it's sooo big. The biggest console ever made.

Somehow made the Xbox mini fridge look attractive and functional.

Soldato
Ah, the old adage "My greatest fear is that one day I die and my partner sells my gaming/electronic/hobby possessions for the price I told them I spent on it" :D

If this is true then there are a lot of people in this situation based on the number of people complaining :p

I pretty much always get what I want without my partner saying anything, but then out the two of us I am the tight one :D

Oh the excuses I've had to make to previous partners over the years has been substantial, none of them were gamers and just 'didn't get it'.

One particularly memorable conversation went something like this:

The ex: What are you looking at?
Me: The new Playstation 4 slim
Her: But you've got a Playstation 4, haven't you?
Me: Yes :)
Her: So you don't need another do you?
Me: Yes I do
Her: But, no you don't
Me: But, yes I do, the other one is a phat, this one is smaller and slimmer, and quieter
Her: Right, so it's about being fat is it?
Me: Hmm... yes, kinda?
Her: So you don't like fat, am i fat?
Me: No! (sniggers)
Her: And I'm noisy too am I?
Her: So when a slimmer quieter girl comes along are you going to replace me then?
Her: You're not having it
Me: Yes I am
Her: You ******* are not!
Me: OK fine...

But of course I did, she just never knew, atleast not until the Pro came out, and then I had to do the same thing all over again with a similar conversation :p

Unsurprisingly we're not together any more and my Pro is smiling at me as we speak.

Soldato
Oh the excuses I've had to make to previous partners over the years has been substantial, none of them were gamers and just 'didn't get it'.

One particularly memorable conversation went something like this:

The ex: What are you looking at?
Me: The new Playstation 4 slim
Her: But you've got a Playstation 4, haven't you?
Me: Yes :)
Her: So you don't need another do you?
Me: Yes I do
Her: But, no you don't
Me: But, yes I do, the other one is a phat, this one is smaller and slimmer, and quieter
Her: Right, so it's about being fat is it?
Me: Hmm... yes, kinda?
Her: So you don't like fat, am i fat?
Her: And I'm noisy too am I?
Her: So when a slimmer quieter girl comes along are you going to replace me then?
Her: You're not having it
Me: Yes I am
Her: You ******* are not!
Me: OK fine...

But of course I did, she just never knew, atleast not until the Pro came out, and then I had to do the same thing all over again with a similar conversation :p

Unsurprisingly we're not together any more and my Pro is smiling at me as we speak.
Glad I don't have to go through this haha.

My wife isn't into games but bought PS4 for me and put towards PS4 pro :D

She knows I plan on getting PS5 she just said and I quote "not arsed you use em so go for it"

Only thing she does say is don't bother with Xbox as you always get rid of em, which tbf she is right.

Associate
OP
Some unfortunate people (not me any more!) literally have to sneak new consoles into their front room because they cannot justify the expense to their non-gaming wife/partner who will/would go bonkers if they knew the true cost, and replacing their black Pro with a gigantic bright white ugly futuristic hunk of plastic would kinda give that game away.

It's a true story it actually happens you know! :p

If people are having to sneak in consoles because they can’t justify the price to their other halves then I think there are bigger issues to be sorting out.

Soldato
Glad I don't have to go through this haha.

My wife isn't into games but bought PS4 for me and put towards PS4 pro :D

She knows I plan on getting PS5 she just said and I quote "not arsed you use em so go for it"

Only thing she does say is don't bother with Xbox as you always get rid of em, which tbf she is right.

Wife bought me the 1st playstation as a wedding present in the October of 1995 when we married . Since then I've had to buy my own :(

Soldato
If people are having to sneak in consoles because they can’t justify the price to their other halves then I think there are bigger issues to be sorting out.
How can you justify a new generation, then the revision, then the pro version, then the revision of that, to someone who has no interest or understanding in gaming, and is baffled why anyone would, and is a little bit of a pessimist?

Back
Top Bottom