Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I don't think it can be as late as 2021 for two factors

1) a year or more behind MS, highly unlikely imo - would give MS a gigantic lead even if they haven't made the most of the hardware.

2) While its a brand new cpu / chipset now, in 18 months -2 years it will be pretty old hat and Sony wont be anywhere near bleeding edge for the hardware even considering its a console.

I really wouldn't be surprised at Easter 2020, but maybe Christmas if they absolutely have to (but imo that will give MS a good start in the sales wars).

Back compatibility is no longer an issue as chipset will be practically identical to ps4 (unlike other ps models generation to generation) they just have to get BIOS working correctly so hardware throttles to the right speed etc.
It'll surely be Nov 2020 which tally's with historical release schedule. I'm not sure they are that worried about MS, yes nice hardware but they don't have the exclusives to back it up, and like you've said, chipsets soon get old and if MS launch a year earlier then they could possibly be even older on that one.

Soldato
Ms did buy quite a few devs recently they must have exclusives in mind.

It's been Sony best assets this generation, I actually think we won't see last of us 2 on ps4 I think be pushed to go on ps5

Soldato
Yeah i am with you. According what people have said around discord and the like its based on the zen2 cpu which is current so unlikely they will hold out announcing it past mid 2020 and a release towards oct/nov.
fyi Zen2 isn't current, but will be out by q3 this year according to an AMD investor call this week.

I cant remember how long the intervening time between official announcement and actual release is - but Im guessing it will be about 9 months or so maybe 1 year (with dev kits floating around a good 6 months before that...which of course have already started to be delivered for ps5 devs)

Soldato
It's been Sony best assets this generation, I actually think we won't see last of us 2 on ps4 I think be pushed to go on ps5

No chance. As much as it would help sell new consoles, they're never going to sacrifice selling millions of copies of the game to PS4 owners just to shift some extra PS5s. With backwards compatibility the prospect of a PS5 re-release doesn't seem quite as appealing anyway.

Soldato
Yeah, there's no way TLOU2 isn't gonna be on PS4.
With an install base of over 90 million (as a quick google told me) and the PS5 being a guaranteed seller anyway if priced well, it would be silly to stick TLOU2 on PS5, even as a timed exclusive before the PS4 version released.

Soldato
Personally, I would be more than happy to wait for TLOU2, if it were to be a PS5 launch title :)
Same here.

No chance. As much as it would help sell new consoles, they're never going to sacrifice selling millions of copies of the game to PS4 owners just to shift some extra PS5s. With backwards compatibility the prospect of a PS5 re-release doesn't seem quite as appealing anyway.
But do we have a firm release date for TLOU2? If PS5 is out November 2020 (likely) then that's just 18 months away, why release TLOU2 just a few months before that on an inferior system?

Soldato
Yeah, there's no way TLOU2 isn't gonna be on PS4.
With an install base of over 90 million (as a quick google told me) and the PS5 being a guaranteed seller anyway if priced well, it would be silly to stick TLOU2 on PS5, even as a timed exclusive before the PS4 version released.
Of course it will be on PS4, the debate is will be on there before PS5 comes out :)

Soldato
But do we have a firm release date for TLOU2? If PS5 is out November 2020 (likely) then that's just 18 months away, why release TLOU2 just a few months before that on an inferior system?

Because it will sell far, far more copies on the PS4. Don't get me wrong, it'd be an epic launch title for a new console but it makes no financial sense to ND or Sony to do so.

Soldato
I'm not disputing it not selling on PS4, I'm trying to ascertain what the release date is so as to get more of an idea if it will indeed release on PS4 first. If it releases a few months before I think they'll wait.

Soldato
I saw a Tweet last week (or the week before) saying that the acting scenes and dialogue have wrapped in TLoU 2. No idea what that means in terms of how long it'll take from here.

This one https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1119026754952151040?s=20 and this https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1118329800156798977?s=20
Can't find the source now (it was probably Reddit speculation tbh), but extrapolating from the mo-cap wrapping up on previous Naughty Dog titles, and their eventual release dates, the person speculating reckoned there was a 7 month average wait until release. If that holds true for TLOU2 (which is a stretch), then we're looking at November/December this year. Lots of salt required obvs.

Back
Top Bottom