Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
steam downloads to its downloads folder before moving the data to the library.

I resolved it by symlinking this folder to a spindle.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading

There is also the depotcache folder. But that doesnt handle as much data, I think that acts as a browser cache for when you do things like browse the store in the app.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/360672383112772066/
https://old.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...a_steam_folder_steamsteamappsdownloading_can/

Seems its a holding area to support download resumption.

Thinking about it a bit more I understand where you coming from now on the console, as I just remembered the ps4 writes video footage all the time by default which is what allows you to always save live video footage. If they go for dual spindle/nand combo I think they will write this to spindle, but if it is pure nand it will be interesting what they do. Another possibility is writing to ram during game live, and only putting on persistent storage when the user chooses to save the footage.

You just got me concerned about the ssd I just put in my ps4 pro now ;)

https://old.reddit.com/r/playstation/comments/7vwi07/ssd_and_autorecording_question_on_the_ps4_pro/

these guys speculate it is staying in ram until saved.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/74775304

This guy posting here seems to have figured it out with reasonable logic. Scroll down to sam6862's post

https://community.playstation.com/c...als.topic.html/turning_off_auto-rec-vvQd.html

Basically if the system drive fills up, you get a message that the auto recording is disabled meaning it needs to write the live recording to storage, ironically thats a way to disable it, fill up the system drive.

I will keep my ssd in, try to make a note of playtime next time I do some gaming then I might consider dragging the drive out to check its writes out of curiosity.

My thoughts are tho if the ps5 is nand only storage, sony will be aware of this and adjust the recording system to manage the life on the nand.

Last edited:
My original iPod touch from 2007 is still going strong and that is only using NAND memory. Obviously, it's not going to be writing nearly as much data as a games console but I think folk are worrying over nothing. Has anyone actually had an PC SSD go to pot on them yet?

I keep meaning to remove the SSD from my PS4 Pro that I've had installed since earlier this year and check what the write level has been.

Just did it, the Crucial SSD application shows 6.2TB of writes in total, and that's since it was installed in my PS4 Pro at the end of January. It's a 1TB MX500, and Crucial apparently specify that it'll handle 360TB of writes in total. Probably nothing to worry about then. :)

Interesting so certainly much higher writes than my windows install, my 850 pro before it died did about 20TB writes in just under 5 years. So about 4tb a year vs your about 8-9Tb a year. My SSD died at that 20TB point tho. It was rated for 150TB.

Also what is interesting my samsung 830 128gig in my laptop bench's at only about 30% of its rated speed now. I plan to secure erase it to see if it bumps back up, it has erase cycles in the 100s.

But I think a modern 3d nand reputable branded SSD of at least 1TB is probably going to be ok like you said.

I see Shawn Layden, head of PlayStation World Wide Studios, is leaving the company. First thought = jumping ship before everyone discovers the PS5 is going to be a load of old tosh. (Yes, I can't see it being correct but I'm a pessimist by nature. :p)

I see Shawn Layden, head of PlayStation World Wide Studios, is leaving the company. First thought = jumping ship before everyone discovers the PS5 is going to be a load of old tosh. (Yes, I can't see it being correct but I'm a pessimist by nature. :p)
Quickly, lets all buy a stadia ! Ps5 confirmed hot trash :p

still getting one at launch :p

Yeah, so am I. Whatever they come up with for PS5, it's going to have to last 6 years or thereabouts, so you're going to have to put up with it. Or it could be the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm reading it's more to do with internal power struggles than anything else. Perhaps Shawn doesn't get on with Jim Ryan. Only need to get worried if Mark Cerny quits.

I think they’ll knock it out the park as usual. The biggest thing for me is stable 1080p 60fps gaming (not bothered about 4K atm, even though I have a 4K tv)

and reduced load times. I’m also hoping for a whisper quiet console. I can tell you now if I buy one and it turns out as noisy as ps4...it’ll be enough to make me switch to Xbox.

Part of me doesn't want 4k, would mean a new amp and TV for starters.
1080 with all the bells and whistles is plenty.

No no no. Stop this nonsense. I'll let you have your 1080p60 or even 1080p120 but that better not be the default resolution. It can be an option but prioritize 4K60, please, Sony! :D

I'd rather have 1080p 60fps min, with all the bells and whistles than 4k that drops to 30fps with rubbish lighting and physics.

Back
Top Bottom