Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
True but it needs to be 4k60, cant see the console pulling that off.
I think it could, as the GPU inside these consoles will be around 1080Ti performance at least from what I understood reading some time ago. Now we know they can get a lot more out of gpu’s on consoles, so it would be possible. But saying that, let’s be honest, most developers will prefer to crank up the eye candy and do 30fps. Been like this for a long time.

I think it could, as the GPU inside these consoles will be around 1080Ti performance at least from what I understood reading some time ago. Now we know they can get a lot more out of gpu’s on consoles, so it would be possible. But saying that, let’s be honest, most developers will prefer to crank up the eye candy and do 30fps. Been like this for a long time.

In the past yes but we might finally be seeing a change in the guard regarding the fps target. Let's hope so anyway buddy.

Yeah I really hope for 60fps, the one thing that I hate about most console games is the motion blur which is needed to smooth things out at 30fps and below I get that. 4k60 with the option to disable any motion blur would be ideal.

In the past yes but we might finally be seeing a change in the guard regarding the fps target. Let's hope so anyway buddy.
Agreed. Although on many games I can settle for and enjoy at 30fps, I find 60fps is where it’s at.

Oh and in before 144fps is a minimum, 240fps is where it’s at comments. Lol. I don’t play fps games or online, so 60fps is more than enough for me.

Yeah I really hope for 60fps, the one thing that I hate about most console games is the motion blur which is needed to smooth things out at 30fps and below I get that. 4k60 with the option to disable any motion blur would be ideal.

I still prefer 30fps in some games.

e.g. star ocean 4 on the 360/ps3 was 30fps in the field. I started playing the hd remake and on pc/ps4pro the field feels weird, its too fast looking around not cinematic feel. In lightning returns at 60fps when looking at fire at 60fps it looks like crap, at 30fps it looks cinematic. Same with dragon age inquisition. I feel RPG type games when in scenes and field 30fps is often better for exploration. But when in actual fights as well as menus, 60fps is better. On most older console games this is what they did, so e.g. on lightning returns as well as the two other ff13 games, the menus are 60fps on console, field is 30fps. On the tales games, field is 30fps, fights 60fps, menu 60fps. Star ocean 4 on older consoles 60fps menu, 60fps battles, 30fps field. On PC they turn that off, and you forced to pick a fps for all scenarios, the only exception been FMV's which run at their encoded rate. Star ocean 4 on the ps4pro, digital foundry pointed out the flaws with the modern approach, and they make some good points.

On resolution there is also weird artefacts seen in modern games at lower resolutions that didnt exist in older games. On PC, this is clear when you compare DX9 to DX11, in many DX11 games there is a weird square effect on faded textures, and things like hair, that almost goes away when rendering at 4k. But in DX9 games no such problem. On star ocean 4, on the 360 and ps3, the game was rendered at 540p, barely above SD, but the hair on the character models looked spot on. On the new consoles and PC, the hair has clear artefacts that makes it appear jaggy. blocky even at 1440p at almost 3x the resolution of the original game. It almost goes away at 4k which is insane needing that resolution to achieve the same fidelity of the original game at under 600p.

The reason is older games used older engines, older AA techniques which worked well, and new engines, new techniques seem less efficient, presumably as the approach is we got more powerful hardware now so just throw more pixels at it.

Someone's notes from Reddit:

• Will be called PlayStation 5.

• Holidays 2020.

• There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware.

• Physical games for the PS5 will use 100GB optical disks.

• Optical drive doubles as a 4K Bluray player.

• Game installation is mandatory given the speed difference between the SSD and the optical drive.

• Cerny says, "we're allowing finer-grained access to the data." That could mean the ability to install just a game's multiplayer campaign, leaving the single-player campaign for another time, or just installing the whole thing and then deleting the single-player campaign once you've finished it.

• Completely revamped user interface.

• Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.

• The controller has "adaptive triggers" that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun.

• The controller boasts haptic feedback far more capable than the rumble motor console gamers are used to, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller.

• Improved speaker on the controller.

• A demo the reporter tried with the new controller: I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.

• While trying a demo of rigged Gran Turismo Sport: Driving on the border between the track and the dirt, I could feel both surfaces. Doing the same thing on the same track using a DualShock 4 on a PS4, that sensation disappeared entirely. It wasn't that the old style rumble feedback paled in comparison, it was that there was no feedback at all. User tests found that rumble feedback was too tiring to use continuously, so the released version of GT Sport simply didn't use it.

• The controller team has been working on haptic feedback since the DualShock 4 was in development. They even could have included it in PS4 Pro, the mid-cycle refresh—though doing so would have created a "split experience" for gamers, so the feature suite was held for the next generation.

• The next-gen controller uses a USB Type-C connector for charging (and you can play through the cable as well).

• The controller has a larger battery.

• The new controller is heavier than the DS4 but lighter than the current Xbox controller with batteries in it.

• While a number of studios already had their PS5 devkits, the controller prototypes began rolling out much more recently.

• Bluepoint Games is working on a big title for PS5.

• "I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA. "More generally, we’re seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools." Above all, Miele adds, it's the speed of everything that will define the next crop of consoles. "We're stepping into the generation of immediacy. In mobile games, we expect a game to download in moments, and to be just a few taps from jumping right in. Now we’re able to tackle that in a big way.

Game installation mandatory : [100GB game discs] [PS5 uses SSD storage]

It will be interesting to see the console storage capacities available and prices.
Needs to be minimum 500gb, ideally 1tb.

If they can do it so less data needs to be installed then I would be ok with 500gb. I never play more than a handful of games at once anyway.

Needs to be minimum 500gb, ideally 1tb.

If they can do it so less data needs to be installed then I would be ok with 500gb. I never play more than a handful of games at once anyway.

Disagree, it needs to be 1TB minimum for me to buy on launch. I already have a 1TB SSD in my PS4 Pro (which is the same size as the HDD it came with) so they really need to find the right balance between performance, capacity and price. All we've heard so far is that this brand-new SSD tech is faster than anything on the mainstream market so far, but that's no good to anyone if it's full after installing a few games.

Disagree, it needs to be 1TB minimum for me to buy on launch. I already have a 1TB SSD in my PS4 Pro (which is the same size as the HDD it came with) so they really need to find the right balance between performance, capacity and price. All we've heard so far is that this brand-new SSD tech is faster than anything on the mainstream market so far, but that's no good to anyone if it's full after installing a few games.
You are disregarding the fact that games maybe much smaller in the first place as mentioned by the designer. That is why I said 500gb.

I am sure they will have a 2tb version for people who want to pay an extra £100-200 for it, but others who do not should be given the cheaper option in my opinion.

I know I would rather save the extra £50 if given the choice as I don’t have time to play dozens of games at once. A handful if more than enough and 500gb would more than enough for that.

So more of the same then, except with tech that has been available within the PC space for years now.

And i should be excited because?

I'm snoring and the thing isn't even released yet.
Lol.

It may have been available but never been used that way for pc games anyway as games are built with consoles in mind. Even the PC will benefit from this now.

Also there are plenty of exclusives to be excited about. I have a backlog of PS4 exclusives I plan to play on the PS5.

Each to their own, I am snoring at Stadia which you seem to be super excited about for some reason :p

You are disregarding the fact that games maybe much smaller in the first place as mentioned by the designer. That is why I said 500gb.

I am sure they will have a 2tb version for people who want to pay an extra £100-200 for it, but others who do not should be given the cheaper option in my opinion.

I know I would rather save the extra £50 if given the choice as I don’t have time to play dozens of games at once. A handful if more than enough and 500gb would more than enough for that.

I'm not, and if that ends up working as intended it'll be a bonus for those games that use it (I'm fairly confident a similar idea was mentioned before the PS4 launched), but it doesn't change the fact that games will get bigger anyway. TLoU2 is rumoured to be on two BDs and that's a single player game on the current gen; we could quite easily be looking at 100GB install sizes for many games next gen and you still need to leave capacity free for downloading updates etc.

If they opt to offer an entry-level model at some point then great, but I doubt they'll be bothering with multiple SKUs at launch ala PS3 so I'd hope they go for a decent amount of capacity from the outset for those people willing to pay up on day one. It'll be like that PS3 with 12GB of flash memory otherwise.

No way it'll be less than 1TB.

I did read a rumour somewhere that they are considering a base and pro model at launch. I can't see this being the case but you never know...until you know.

Lol.

It may have been available but never been used that way for pc games anyway as games are built with consoles in mind. Even the PC will benefit from this now.

Also there are plenty of exclusives to be excited about. I have a backlog of PS4 exclusives I plan to play on the PS5.

Each to their own, I am snoring at Stadia which you seem to be super excited about for some reason :p

Fair enough. I don't care for PS exclusives. Played Uncharted and thought the AI was as dumb as a piece of ham.

One thing is certain, PSN will still be held together with duct tape and clue.

Here is an exclusive picture of the tools the engineers will be using.

hqdefault.jpg

:p

Back
Top Bottom