Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
Not sure what to think of this unofficial render... :eek: Now it reminds me of some neck support pillow.

mTu2rgM.jpg

https://kknews.cc/game/4jzek3g.html
That can’t be for real? It looks like a designer from the 80’s designing something futuristic. Haha.

A part of me kind of likes it, but it would need some work at the front. Why does it say let’s go digital?

I am sure the final design won’t be anything like this.

Last edited:
Saw a post on reddit (via 4chan) about Sony revealing PS5 on January 22nd in New York (125 days away). Could be 100% false or 100% real. But something that is true is that we are approaching the time when things will start to move.

Saw a post on reddit (via 4chan) about Sony revealing PS5 on January 22nd in New York (125 days away). Could be 100% false or 100% real. But something that is true is that we are approaching the time when things will start to move.
Good chance it is real. Looking forward to it.

Not looked forward this much for a console release for nearly two decades.

Good chance it is real. Looking forward to it.

Not looked forward this much for a console release for nearly two decades.

I would also concur this is real. There will be a gentleman's agreement between Sony and MS that they keep announcements separate however, I fully expect the full reveal of Scarlett to be at the MS Conference @ E3. Especially, as its rumored to be a 3 tiered console release with a bottom tier 'streaming' oriented box/MS X Cloud device, a standard tiered Scarlett aimed at the normal user and an enthusiast grade top tiered Scarlett.

Shawrey

More titbits of info today - Jim Ryan mentioning the PS5 rest mode. Glad to hear it's there from day 1. This is a feature I absolutely love.

I am also very pleased to announce the next generation PlayStation console will include the possibility to suspend gameplay with much lower power consumption than PS4 (which we estimate can be achieved at around 0.5 W). If just one million users enable this feature, it would save equivalent to the average electricity use of 1,000 US homes.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...-the-united-nations-to-combat-climate-change/

I'm guessing this is all to do with the SSD. They could put the system into a deeper sleep like hibernation mode and not need to keep the RAM alive.

Hopefully it will also update all games/apps so you're not spend waiting 8 hours whilst a game you haven't played for a month, updates.
My dads Xbox is bad for this. Fancied playing a bit of forza a few weeks back...not a chance. System updates and game updates took forever.

Hopefully it will also update all games/apps so you're not spend waiting 8 hours whilst a game you haven't played for a month, updates.

I suppose the issue is that if they're going all-SSD storage as speculated they'll want to find ways to reduce significant writes to the drive to extend longevity and one way to do that is not have everything auto-update all the time. It's going to get a hammering from the constant writes caused by video capture as it is.

I keep meaning to remove the SSD from my PS4 Pro that I've had installed since earlier this year and check what the write level has been.

I hope the design has clear easy defined push buttons, the stealth sensors I am not a fan off.
I expect a combo ssd/hdd solution because I feel the console needs at least 2TB capacity at a base level and I cant see them putting 2TB of nand in there.
I wonder if the optical drive will be done away with as well.

I suppose the issue is that if they're going all-SSD storage as speculated they'll want to find ways to reduce significant writes to the drive to extend longevity and one way to do that is not have everything auto-update all the time. It's going to get a hammering from the constant writes caused by video capture as it is.

I keep meaning to remove the SSD from my PS4 Pro that I've had installed since earlier this year and check what the write level has been.

Bear in mind firefox and chrome have been nicknamed as ssd killers, a typical desktop ssd does a ton of writes just from web browsers alone, which a games console wont have to do. I monitored the writes on my kingston daily with chrome running of it and it was in excess of 4 gig a day in writes. That was without a pagefile (most will have a pagefile enabled on ssd) and also with temporary internet files on ramdisk. Windows also wastefully writes to a lot of logs as well, you have the windows search db, and steam will download all patches and games to the system ssd even if the game library is on a different drive. So I think unless they using really low quality QLC crap, and/or a very small nand capacity I think it will be ok. Plus I am expecting them to use a hdd/nand combo so writes may well initially go to spindle and then move to nand based on a caching algorithm. They may then in such a system make sure things like video recording always goes to spindle.

The problem is Sony have to set it to only update the 10 most recent apps that were launched. I suppose they wanted to save on bandwidth for capped lines?

That change initially annoyed me but now I understand it, steam has been updating games I never ever play a lot lately as they keep getting updates, and such a policy is so wasteful on , pc resources, storage writes, bandwidth etc.

I ended up using this to tame it LOL https://github.com/Revolt64/steam-update-manager I just mass set every game to update only on launch.

So now I respect why sony made it last 10 games/apps only.

GTA 5s visuals on the PS3 were incredible, They pushed the hardware to the absolute max and made even some early PS4 titles look dated. In terms of GTA Rockstar skipped the PS4 (forget the remaster) so I would defo be very interested in a PS5 GTA title :)

gta got skipped this gen cause gta5 online is making them a killing financially. Same reason they cancelled all single player DLC for it.

Bear in mind firefox and chrome have been nicknamed as ssd killers, a typical desktop ssd does a ton of writes just from web browsers alone, which a games console wont have to do. I monitored the writes on my kingston daily with chrome running of it and it was in excess of 4 gig a day in writes. That was without a pagefile (most will have a pagefile enabled on ssd) and also with temporary internet files on ramdisk. Windows also wastefully writes to a lot of logs as well, you have the windows search db, and steam will download all patches and games to the system ssd even if the game library is on a different drive. So I think unless they using really low quality QLC crap, and/or a very small nand capacity I think it will be ok. Plus I am expecting them to use a hdd/nand combo so writes may well initially go to spindle and then move to nand based on a caching algorithm. They may then in such a system make sure things like video recording always goes to spindle.

My Samsung Evo NVMe drive has done about 5TB of writes since being installed about 18 months ago, doesn't bother me too much but constantly writing captured video data to the drive along with massive game installs could potentially surpass that quite quickly on a console.

Steam never touches my system drive when updating games though, not sure why yours would be. All my games are on their own SSD and it's the only one it writes to for installs and updates.

Back
Top Bottom