The Official Prometheus (Alien Prequel) Thread

Caporegime
In a Geordie Big Brother voice:

"Day 26 and Dr Shaw is finally allowed outside after 25 consecutive days of environmental tests, now she has to follow health and safety executive order 223 regarding entering a building of alien origin"

Pretty damn boring film.

And it's a pretty damn stupid film when they go from 0 to retard in 5 seconds flat.

Soldato
Yeah as opposed to, we landed, we jumped in the wagon, we sped inside stripped off our suits, got lost, ran like mad, and somehow left our team behind as they couldn't climb back up the first rope we came down...
Then on day 2 and 3 we all pretty much died because we went from stupid to idiots, but thankfully the captain saved the day by activating the ion drive, luckily his two sidekicks stayed to help him... by standing there doing nothing.

We created a load of threads of potential storylines, congealed them all into one mass, failed to explain any of them, and then mishmashed them up and around and called it a prequel.

The girl running about at high speed with an occasional twinge of pain after an abdominal operation is actually one of the more believable things in an action movie. I didn't discredit this part, as I assumed she had injected and hoofed down painkillers offscreen, as that might be logical, unlike virtually the entire rest of the film.

Soldato
People seem to think there is no middle ground.

The choices should not be between retard and boring, proper scriptwriting and filmaking would eliminate both.

Last edited:
Associate
Indeed, so it's down to three months of H&S ;)

Basically Prometheus is a marmite film, some people will like it, some people won't and each has a perfectly valid opinion not matter how much keyboards are pounded in nerd rage.

Caporegime
Indeed, so it's down to three months of H&S ;)

Basically Prometheus is a marmite film, some people will like it, some people won't and each has a perfectly valid opinion not matter how much keyboards are pounded in nerd rage.

Wheee, ad hominem. I don't think any of us is pounding our keyboards. 7.3/10 on imdb puts it well outside the top 250, and thus vastly inferior to Alien (placed at 40) and Aliens (placed at 57). It's not bad, but it's not even close to the films it's clinging on to. Without Alien it would be nothing.

Associate
what I said about the rest of the scientists, apart from shaw and Holloway, being only there for the money is confirmed in the commentary by John Spaihts and Damon Lindelhof.

Soldato
well I just watched my bluray and it was just as good on the second viewing as the first

my only criticism is that it could have so easily been the ship from alien crashing on the planet from alien at the end, and bingo instant setup as a standalone prequal to alien without any more films needed

Associate
Wheee, ad hominem. I don't think any of us is pounding our keyboards. 7.3/10 on imdb puts it well outside the top 250, and thus vastly inferior to Alien (placed at 40) and Aliens (placed at 57). It's not bad, but it's not even close to the films it's clinging on to. Without Alien it would be nothing.

Hate to break it to you old chap it wasn't ad hom it was directed at both camps and certainly at no one in particular. So wind your neck in, now go an pop the kettle on, there's a love ;)

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well I just watched my bluray and it was just as good on the second viewing as the first

my only criticism is that it could have so easily been the ship from alien crashing on the planet from alien at the end, and bingo instant setup as a standalone prequal to alien without any more films needed

cant be as prometheus takes place on lv422 not lv426 as alien/aliens takes place. although the space jockey in the seat with a blown out chest points to it being the same planet.

so either the planet gets renamed by the weyland yutani for alien, or lv422 is another planet with a crashed ship with the same space jockey in it.

also im guessing prometheus is totaly ignoring the whole avp conection from previous films and comics. but who knows, it could have all been just a dream :p

Soldato
OP
Prometheus is LV-223, Alien/Aliens is LV-426

It's been confirmed that the ship we see in Alien has been there for thousands of years so it's not possible to directly link the two.

Soldato
my point was that the writers could have very easily made this LV-426
and it would have directly setup the link into alien, but they clearly decided they wanted to make more films inbetween, ill reserve judgement until ive seen them on whether it was a good idea or not :)

Associate
ridley talks about it in the commentary and he doesnt really think very much of alien resurection or the avp films, i got the impression he couldnt even watch the whole of them, just wasnt interested. Cant blame him i'm indifferent to them myself.

anyway having watched the film with the writers commentary last night its interesting to see what i thought was more or less what they intended although they didnt explain everything so i've joined the dots up in some places with my own interpritation. so there you go obviously both me and the writers are wrong about what the writers meant lol. people can call it bad writing if they want and reason that as they didnt understand it thats because it should have been written better, but on the flipside many people understood the film justfine so thats really something people need to decide for themselves and there is little point in trying to argue about it.

Interestingly many of the things lindelhof's getting the blame for in this thread are john spaihts doing, and i'm glad many of spaihts idea's didnt make it into the film as it was at times sounding more like the alien resurection or the avp films, however he was responsible for many of the good things in the film also, i'm happy with what we ended up with however.

Caporegime
My steel book is here so gf says, will be watching in 3d tonigh !

IMG_20121019_152301.jpg

Last edited:
Don
I think I preferred it on the second viewing.

Also went through the alternate scenes last night.

Where they wake the engineer from stasis, he responds to David (the cyborg) and asks them what they're doing there.

David tells him that Weyland wishes to live forever.

Weyland pleads to the engineer in English, saying, "I've created this robot from nothing, he is my creation, I'm like you, we're the gods"

The engineer doesn't respond at all in English.

Then the engineer rips off David's head and pummels everyone like in the cinema cut :p

I preferred this to the theatrical edit, only a slight change, but it felt more satisfying than getting the silent treatment and getting pwned

Back
Top Bottom