The Official Prometheus (Alien Prequel) Thread

Man of Honour
thought I would look up what's happening, I wasn't expecting this plot for the second film. only the basic one paragraph usual plot, but put it in spoilers anyway,

vOfficial Alien: Covenant Plot Synopsis

Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created in ALIEN with ALIEN: COVENANT, the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with PROMETHEUS -- and connects directly to Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

doesn't sound very interesting to me. sounds like a rehash of the first two films.

Soldato
thought I would look up what's happening, I wasn't expecting this plot for the second film. only the basic one paragraph usual plot, but put it in spoilers anyway,

vOfficial Alien: Covenant Plot Synopsis

Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created in ALIEN with ALIEN: COVENANT, the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with PROMETHEUS -- and connects directly to Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

doesn't sound very interesting to me. sounds like a rehash of the first two films.

apparently Katherine Waterston is playing Ripley's mother, that could be interesting. also i'd imagine this is the reason why the movie is set 30 years on from Prometheus and why the Shaw character isn't present.

aliencovenant-waterston-firstlook-cropped_zpsmrkm4vzi.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
why jump away from the Shaw storyline and why oh why create some **** about it being Ripley's ******* mother. Christ there are some bull **** writers in and around Hollywood these days

Soldato
Not sure why this thread has been resurrected, as there's already a thread for this follow up to Prometheus. Also noticed someone else has created a thread on this film Covenant. Too many threads. :p

Soldato
OP
They need to movie Alien/Prometheus completely away from Ripley and her mother/daughter, not needed anymore. It was a big deal to have a female hero when Alien first hit, no need to keep doing it.

Also Weaver is primarily the reason Alien 3 had so many issues, never forgiven her for that :D

Caporegime
why jump away from the Shaw storyline and why oh why create some **** about it being Ripley's ******* mother. Christ there are some bull **** writers in and around Hollywood these days

It's one of the most annoying tropes in movies.

Everybody has to be related.

You can't just have a new cast of unrelated people. They all have to be the son/mother/second-cousin-twice removed of the original cast.

It's stupid, and un-necessary, but it's something they do almost every time.

/shrug. Hollywood, innit.

Permabanned
Watched last night. Borderline rubbish. Scott says people didn't like it cos' there weren't enough aliens.

No... But it could have been half decent if the script was realistic and didn't include enlisting a bunch of rag-tag morons for such an important expedition. Robot guy was good though.

Off to watch Covenant now.

Associate
Watched last night. Borderline rubbish. Scott says people didn't like it cos' there weren't enough aliens.

No... But it could have been half decent if the script was realistic and didn't include enlisting a bunch of rag-tag morons for such an important expedition. Robot guy was good though.

Enjoy Covenant, but don't expect anything better than Prometheus!

After marinating on everything for a few years now I much rather want a Prometheus prequel/sequal than any further Alien "origin" stories..

Caporegime

Both are pretty cack to say the least. The concept from Neill Blomkamp was far more interesting, but in the end the studios went with Scott who produced 2 large turds. Prometheus was profitable and i think covenant cost them money with the weird way Hollywood's money system works.

Associate
I liked Prometheus, I don't care what any of you say. I enjoyed covenant for what it was too.

I love all Alien (Xenomorph) mythology based movies and Prometheus is definitely up there with one of my favourites..

I don't even care about the nitpickers calling out all the stupid choices. I enjoy the origin of it all and the story revolving the Engineers! I just hope that someday they actually show where the "alien" actually came from..

Caporegime
I love all Alien (Xenomorph) mythology based movies and Prometheus is definitely up there with one of my favourites..

I don't even care about the nitpickers calling out all the stupid choices. I enjoy the origin of it all and the story revolving the Engineers! I just hope that someday they actually show where the "alien" actually came from..

Didn't they do that in covenant? David designed it.

Associate
Didn't they do that in covenant? David designed it.

Remember in Prometheus when they entered the sealed room with the black goo cannisters and the mural on the wall depicting Engineers worshiping a Deacon, which looks fairly similar to the one that bursts out of the Engineer at the end?

This is obviously the earliest rendition of what we as viewers know to be the "Xenomorph" and also the essence captured in the cannisters.. hence the drop of goo in Holloway's drink > impregnates Shaw > birth of Squiddy > which facehuggs Engineer > body burster Deacon..

So, my guess is that David mutates it into the style of Xenomorph we know from Alien onwards, but where did the first creatures come from before Prometheus?

That's what I want to know..

Back
Top Bottom