The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Associate
Tried out my Corsair Vengeance 1500 PC USB headset on the PS4 yesterday, works quite well! Audio sounds amazingrks.

My boy said that when I gave him mine, @ xmas, ( I was so impressed I ordered the 2100 for my PC) Now looking for a headset for the PS4.

Does anyone know how they compare?

Caporegime
OP
AKG Q701's were on sale a while back for £95-£120 depending on if you get hit with customs or not (I posted the deal in sound city), normally sell in the UK for £220-£300 with a RRP of £399.

These are basically in the top 5-10 gaming headphones on the planet and those that are better cost considerably more for very little improvement. Basically these are "end game" in terms of sound especially in competitive fps.

Unfortunately the mixamp isn't powerful enough to drive them sufficiently whilst using voice chat so I will need to buy a Schiit Vali and double amp them.

My new rig will be:

Wireless 5.8 Mixamp (RRP £120, I paid £75 but I had to buy a battery, few additional wires etc pushing it up to £100) + Q701 (RRP £399, I paid £120) + Schiit Vali (£110 ish new) + DX clip on mic (£1.58)

If you were to buy my new rig today brand new online from the UK it would cost you £400-£500

The difference being my rig will last me a lifetime (most gaming headsets last a few years if your lucky).

Ryan a guy on here who has listened too and owned many headphones including ones which cost £30K-£100K reviewed a gaming headset which ocuk will be stocking for £60-£70 the other day and rated it very highly for the money. Read his review in his thread in sound city.

If you are interested in sound quality, please visit the sound city section of the forums and the guys there will recommend you the best headphones for your budget.

I own AKG Q701, Sennheiser HD600, HD558, HD25-1 II, Phillips Fidelio X1 and a few IEM's and owned a few other headphones in the past like the HD 595 and HTF600's.

I sold the HTF600's on the mm for £22.50 delivered in brand new condition fully boxed (had only owned them for like a month from new) and the guy I sold them to was ashamed to admit they sounded better than his £200 Beats by Dre's.

Basically you don't need to spend a lot like myself you just need to spend wisely, make the wrong choice and you can end up with a crap set for £200, make the right choice and you can end up with a superb set for £30. Their are amazing gaming headphones out there for every budget, the only issue with the PS4 is that you really do need a mixamp which costs like £120 and it's wired.

If you want to go wireless then cheap choice would be sony and the expensive choice being A40's but they will never sound as good as a wired setup for the same money.

Last edited:
Soldato
A40s are wired lol.

It seems like you have a very biased veiw its your view on no view with how you keep going off, why make a discusion thread when you dont listen to anyone??

O and your rig wont last a lifetime nothing does electronics do break hehe.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
How much do the a40's cost? Is it not like £200? For their kind of money you could have gotten the Akg q701 plus a second hand mixamp.

As for them not lasting all wearable parts are replaceable and they are built to a much higher standard.

If you don't believe so just venture into sound city or head fi forums.

Once you try a proper set of headphones like the q701 you can never go back to a "gaming headset" it's like comparing a rolls royce to a focus

Caporegime
I bought myself some Sony BTN 200's for my Xperia Z1/Ultrabook and Surface tablet.

I'm aware that the PS4 can take wireless headphones for gaming, but whenever I try to connect the PS4 to these headphones, it says that it can't find a profile, anyone have any suggestions?

It'd be a shame to have to buy another set of headphones.

Caporegime
OP
The PlayStation 4 is only compatible with first party Bluetooth headsets.

The controller can output audio but it's terrible quality.

Currently USB is in the middle between hdmi/optical and the controller in terms of quality but I think they have plans to upgrade it.

Soldato
tempted by the Turtle Beach PX4's, does anyone know if they ever patched them so you dont need to plug into the controller for mic use (i.e now fully wireless) ?

If not then ill prob just go for the cheaper sony wireless set option

Caporegime
What would be the best wireless headphones for 70 quid tops that'd work on the PS4/PS3/Xbox 360/Xbox one? Not too fussed at all if they don't have a mic, as I rarely online game over consoles, although if possible, I'd still take one with a mic over one without at the same end price.

Caporegime
What would be the best wireless headphones for 70 quid tops that'd work on the PS4/PS3/Xbox 360/Xbox one? Not too fussed at all if they don't have a mic, as I rarely online game over consoles, although if possible, I'd still take one with a mic over one without at the same end price.

1) Buy a 2nd hand amp that might break on gumtree.
2) Buy a 36.76549 pence mic on some site from china.
3) Get a fancy set of hifi headphones from a deals site for £60 from USA (dont worry mugs in the UK are paying £300 for them)
4) Mod the headset. This is the key. By changing the pads you can make it sound 100 times better and laugh at the people who bought the better model at full RRP!

Now you have a £5000 sort of wireless setup that beats any all in one set you can get. If you don't believe me, check on headfi or other hifi websites that I can link you to. If you are thinking of asking people with first hand experience, don't bother. reviews on websites say these cans sound good and that's all that matters.

rp2000

Caporegime
OP
Plenty of people with first hand experience on here about 10+ of us bought them in fact events those that missed out bought some from others that had or ebay, etc.

I also have plenty of first hand experience.

For £60-70 all you can get is first party sony if you want wireless.

You need to spend at minimum £100+ for a decent setup which will work with all consoles.

Also the original pads on the q701 are fine

Caporegime
OP
that is what Ryan reviewed over in sound city for £70 they are very good (based off ryan's review) in fact you won't find anything better brand new most likely but second hand you will, but if you want to use them with a PS4 then you will require a mixamp which costs £120 brand new or around £60-£80 second hand which pushes the cost up substantially.

a few people paid £95 for Q701's though which destroy them (deal is now over) so your too late to join in on that but if you wait it's possible another similar deal could pop up. i ended up paying £120 for my Q701's as I got hit by customs but a lot on here didn't.

the main issue is the fact you do really need a mixamp for the best sound quality if you want voice chat, if you don't need a mic then you require a DAC/AMP but again they aren't much cheaper.

it depends on how serious you are and how much you have to spend really.

plugging into the controller - complete no for me the sound quality is awful, it's okay for voice chat but not for game sounds
usb - would be fine for most people i imagine who don't know what hi-fi is
optical - for people that want the best quality and willing to pay for it

basically if your budget is under £100 I would say buy a USB plug and play headset with a long enough wire

Soldato
tempted by the Turtle Beach PX4's, does anyone know if they ever patched them so you dont need to plug into the controller for mic use (i.e now fully wireless) ?

If not then ill prob just go for the cheaper sony wireless set option

Had mine since around PS4 launch, still enjoying them. No issues whatsoever. Sound quality is decent with the Dolby 5.1, I use them for other things too which handy. Such as Netflix on the PS3.

Like the fact they are true Dolby Digital 5.1 and not the virtualised stuff.

Good being able to appreciate surround sound at night. (Or closest to it)

Back
Top Bottom