OP
What's a good one for just voice?

voice chat?

wired:

if your budget is less than £100 - get a USB headset or the hyperx cloud

more than £100 then a mixamp and headphones setup

wireless:

budget is under £100 then get an official sony headset

if your budget is over £100 then get a 5.8 wireless mixamp (second hand only) and headphones setup

I have 2 setups:

5.8 mixamp + TB Chat cable + Sennheiser HD558 + Clip on mic

this is used for normal gaming

and

5.8 mixamp + TB Chat cable + AKG Q701 + Schiit Vali + V4.0 Antlion Mod Mic (mutable version)

this is used for competitive gaming

Soldato
I ended up just opting for the Sony Gold's, the ease of use and the £65 price tag swayed me in the end.

That guy who posted the bad review for the Turtle Beach 500p recently posted this which I found interesting.

Associate
I got my soaked Sony Headset returned and a new one delivered along with a discount, been using it tonight and its perfect, the sound is excellent and they are very comfortable.

My only problem is the mic enabling voice commands, the other half was next to me when I tested it out, now she randomly shouts playstation home screen, when I'm in the middle of a game....

Associate
So my astro a30 has snapped and now looking for a replacement. Been looking the hyperx cloud gaming headset and the Skullcand PLYR 1. Are these any good or recommend other headsets? I have a wireless 5.8 mixamp if that helps.

Caporegime
OP
So my astro a30 has snapped and now looking for a replacement. Been looking the hyperx cloud gaming headset and the Skullcand PLYR 1. Are these any good or recommend other headsets? I have a wireless 5.8 mixamp if that helps.

if you have a 5.8 mixamp then get any decent set of gaming headphones

hd558, dt770, k702 or for simplicity a hyper x or sennheiser gaming headset (expensive though for built in mic)

personally i would be looking at k702's they are "end game in terms of music and gaming

Associate
I've been waiting a while for these, a wire free all in one surround sound
headset. So are they worth the £250?

I love that they are completely wireless. The base that charges the headset is cool with its magnetic charge port. They turn on when removed from the base and turn off when I pop them back on the base....I like this feature :cool: the voice commands informing you what mode your in is also funky!!

Playing The Evil Within I can defo pick out where monsters are coming from and the creepy sounds are more defined. I hadn't heard some of the sounds through my old pioneer 5.1 setup. I want to try something with more guns, explosions to see how they handle the sound stage.

I'm just not sure about the price tag but then again it's feature packed to be fair. One down side is that I can't register the Elite part on Turtle Beach website yet. It wasn't th reason I got them tho.

Associate
Anyone know how to take the earpads off on the HyperX Cloud Gaming headset. I want to swap to the velvet ones but am afraid of damaging something!

Soldato
Anyone know how to take the earpads off on the HyperX Cloud Gaming headset. I want to swap to the velvet ones but am afraid of damaging something!

Mine came off quite easily when I pulled them off near the top of the earpiece. Don't know how easy it will be to put it back on though :p
EDIT: It was easier then expected, took me about 2 minutes to reattach the earpiece fully, the 'leather' has more stretch in it than you would think

Last edited:
Associate
Anybody else get the 500P? I got it, and love it in every single way apart from the mic monitoring being completely missing. Game refuse to take the return because of it and Turtle Beach have ignored my support e-mails so I'm stuck with it regardless. Have I just got a dodgy pair or has anyone else got them and got no mic monitoring?

Soldato
This my sound like a daft question, but I have a Denon 1610 amp that my ps4 is connected to via Hdmi. Would I still need to purchase a mix amp if I wanted to go down the wired route?? (I'm not overally fussed if the headset has a mic or not)

Also, does anyone have any idea if the Steel Series H wireless headset is any good?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
This my sound like a daft question, but I have a Denon 1610 amp that my ps4 is connected to via Hdmi. Would I still need to purchase a mix amp if I wanted to go down the wired route?? (I'm not overally fussed if the headset has a mic or not)

Also, does anyone have any idea if the Steel Series H wireless headset is any good?

Get yourself HD558 and mod them or K702's and plug straight into amp. AKG X7XX range are end game for gaming

Soldato
Thinking about it, I'll probably need the Astro mixamp as I'd like to use the headset on my MacBook Pro to watch movies/shows.

I'm by no means a hardcore gamer. I play the odd game on the PS4. Ideally looking for an all rounder for games and movies :).

I like the look of the K702s, but I can see from the reviews they leak sound? So I don't think that they would be ideal if people around me are trying to watch TV.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
so your looking for a closed set of cans.

all you need to do is buy a USB DAC/AMP for your laptop like the Asus Xonar U3.

then get yourself DT770's by Beyerdynamic.

or just get yourself the hyperx headset if you want to use voice chat.

no need for a mixamp for laptop use, mixamps are best used with consoles only.

Associate
So I've tried the Stealth 500P's, they drove me crazy with a loud buzz when using the mic, from reading around it just seems to be what happens with these headsets. I've tried Sony Golds too, but the mic was terrible and weren't comfortable at all for me, so they're gone too, now I'm back to my knackered TB P11's from about 10 years ago. Honestly the 500P's (and the 400's) are perfect but I just can't stand the buzzing. Things like Mic Monitoring and being able to balance volume between the game 7 chat are the only thing keeping me away from something like the HyperX Cloud, and I do fancy wireless but it's not essential. I'm switching between the PC & PS4 with the headphones a lot, again the 500P was perfect because it's just a USB dongle with a 3.5 optical input, so I just left a cable hanging out of my PS4 & PC and it took 2 seconds to move it across, I could even get audio from my Sky box. That damn buzz.

Can anyone help? I'm running out of ideas. Someone tell me the Stealth 400 doesn't have the same buzz, but I've read some things that say it does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom