The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Soldato
Hi

Got the AKG Q701 headphones off the members market a few weeks back and I'm finding them amazing, the soundstage is brilliant on them, I'm hearing things I never heard before.

I use them for music, movies and gaming which has me thinking is it possible in anyway to integrate a microphone with them?

Cheers

Caporegime
OP
Hi

Got the AKG Q701 headphones off the members market a few weeks back and I'm finding them amazing, the soundstage is brilliant on them, I'm hearing things I never heard before.

I use them for music, movies and gaming which has me thinking is it possible in anyway to integrate a microphone with them?

Cheers

how are you connecting them to the PS4 currently?

either way you will probably need a mixamp (£120 brand new or a lot less second hand) + clip on mic (£1.50 from dx) or antlion mod mic (£30ish from states) and possibly an additional amp like the schiit vali if you want brilliant bang for buck, or something like the topping NX1 (£20) or Fiio E11 (£40) until you can afford a Vali (£110).

you need to read this thread basically, same question been asked many times.

Soldato
how are you connecting them to the PS4 currently?

either way you will probably need a mixamp (£120 brand new or a lot less second hand) + clip on mic (£1.50 from dx) or antlion mod mic (£30ish from states) and possibly an additional amp like the schiit vali if you want brilliant bang for buck, or something like the topping NX1 (£20) or Fiio E11 (£40) until you can afford a Vali (£110).

you need to read this thread basically, same question been asked many times.

I connect them to my denon reciever which I have all my devices connected too.

Caporegime
OP
You could just stick the sony earpiece in your ear, plug it into the controller for voice chat only then stick the q701's on over them.

Bit of a ghetto setup but won't cost you a penny

Caporegime
OP
Thanks, I was thinking that, I will give that a try next time see how it sounds.

You could buy a USB mic and use that as a mic only and use the Q701's for all sound something like this

"********* Portable Microphone" or "Blue Tiki" on an auction site

or something cheaper if your not looking for a high quality mic

Last edited:
Soldato
Are the PX4's fully compatible with the PS4?

Tempted to pick them up for £85 unless there are better options in that price range?
How do the Sony 2.0's compare?

Soldato

Tempted to pick them up for £85 unless there are better options in that price range?

I have the PX4's and the sound quality is fantastic. I tried them on the PT demo and the 5.1 works really well. You need a cable from the headset to the controller if you want to chat, which is included in the box.

Caporegime
OP

second hand mixamp - £60-£80
koss porta pro - £30
clip on mic - £1.50

only slightly more, virtual surround sound with brilliant sound quality and fully upgradeable

Soldato
What's the best set up for around the £50 mark. I know I'm not going to be looking at anything special but I probably got less than 10 hours use out of a headset on a ps3 (from launch day) so just fancied something in case I got into Destiny.

Thanks.

Caporegime
OP
What's the best set up for around the £50 mark. I know I'm not going to be looking at anything special but I probably got less than 10 hours use out of a headset on a ps3 (from launch day) so just fancied something in case I got into Destiny.

Thanks.

Just buy yourself a standard USB headset and plug it into the console

Soldato
I have the PX4's and the sound quality is fantastic. I tried them on the PT demo and the 5.1 works really well. You need a cable from the headset to the controller if you want to chat, which is included in the box.

Cheers. :)

second hand mixamp - £60-£80
koss porta pro - £30
clip on mic - £1.50

only slightly more, virtual surround sound with brilliant sound quality and fully upgradeable

Too much messing about for me. :D

Caporegime
OP
Just another quick question about the PX4's, will the chat lead always be needed or is that waiting on a patch from Sony?

Sony don't release any info about future patches.

Apparently an insider leaked that surround sound through USB would be coming. That was months ago though and nothing has appeared.

I would go on the basis that you will always need it

Associate
I can't decide between Turtle Beach Ear Force PX4 Wireless Headset (PS4) and Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 (PS4/PS3/PS Vita). Any one around here who has actually used both would like to share their personal thoughts.

Soldato
Would you go for the HyperX Cloud gaming headset or the playstation gold headset given the choice and ignoring price? The HyperX set seems to get great reviews across the board, but the wifi on the sony one might be nice for lounging back on the sofa..

Associate
So I'm looking for something wireless that I can use with my PS4 that can also work with a TV (share a house and she would get upset with the noise of the PS4 at night!). Ideally I'd also like to be able to take it away and plug it into an airline socket - is there anything that would do all these?
I don't have a proper stereo or amp as I'm living abroad for 12 months and don't want to fork out on that.
I'm thinking wireless with a plug in bit for attaching to airline ports, or is there nothing that will do this? Or would I have to take some sort or transmitter with me for that?
I'm not particularly fussed about the mike and I only want reasonable sound quality, I'm not a massive audiophile!
I have been looking at things like Turtle Beach and Astro, but get the feeling that they wouldn't work with anything other than a PS4?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom