The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Soldato
I seem to be having an Issue with my A30s and Mixamp Pro (Latest one). When playing games etc the sound is great but when I try to join a party there is a red ! over my mic and says its not connected. Any Ideas?

Oh and can I buy A40/A50 headset and use my current Mixamp?

Caporegime
OP
I seem to be having an Issue with my A30s and Mixamp Pro (Latest one). When playing games etc the sound is great but when I try to join a party there is a red ! over my mic and says its not connected. Any Ideas?

Oh and can I buy A40/A50 headset and use my current Mixamp?

can you take a pic of your setup?

where is the usb lead connected to?

have you looked and selected USB mic in settings?

Soldato
Psycho Sonny

What would be gaming for positional sense out of the 598 or 650's?

My 555's are falling apart currently, trying to get Sennheiser to to an out of warranty repair but not getting to far. So i need a replacement and have chosen between them two. I'm not against others just love the sound of my 555's and want something the same or better.

AKG 702 with a cheapish Amp any good either?

Last edited:
Soldato
can you take a pic of your setup?

where is the usb lead connected to?

have you looked and selected USB mic in settings?

I was under the impression that the optical cable from the rear of the PS4 carries Audio and Mic?

I have the PS4 connected to the mixamp via the optical cable ONLY.

the Mixamp is powered by a Mini USB cable to a 10amp multi USB Charger

The headphones are plugged into the front headphone socket on the mixamp.

The PS4 is set correct as per the Astro PS4 settings.

Associate
Apologies if this has been answered in the previous 17 pages but does anyone know if/how the sony wireless headset 2.0 works with a PC? is it all via the bluetooth/wireless adapter or do you need to plug it in via a standard mic socket on the PC?

Soldato
Apologies if this has been answered in the previous 17 pages but does anyone know if/how the sony wireless headset 2.0 works with a PC? is it all via the bluetooth/wireless adapter or do you need to plug it in via a standard mic socket on the PC?

It works, plug the USB wireless in and they will sync.

Soldato

But I believe they are only Stereo when used through the PC.

Caporegime
OP
Psycho Sonny

What would be gaming for positional sense out of the 598 or 650's?

My 555's are falling apart currently, trying to get Sennheiser to to an out of warranty repair but not getting to far. So i need a replacement and have chosen between them two. I'm not against others just love the sound of my 555's and want something the same or better.

AKG 702 with a cheapish Amp any good either?

for gaming AKG K702 is like an end game setup you don't get any better you need a mixamp though to enjoy the best in gaming sound unless you want to buy a creative audio x7 (ridiculous money).

for the money though the best bang for buck is HD518's or HD 558's.

why? they have the same drivers as the 598's, in fact the only difference is that 558's have foam on them and are black as opposed to cream and brown. remove the foam and you have 598's for cheaper. the 518's are much more modified they have different grills, etc. they are restricted to sound worse due to being muffled but stil very good for the money.

however the build quality just isn't there imo on the 5XX range from sennheiser i own 558's and i think the cable is the weak point. if it had a removeable cable i'd love it. the fact it doesn't means if you have an issue with the cable your screwed.

i would give the 558 a 8/10 and the k702 a 9.9/10.

i also own akg q701's which are basically a modded k702. i also own hd600's and hd700's as well as DT770's.

the dt770's are a must own if you need closed headphones however they are probably a 7/10 due to not having that wide soundstage that open headphones do. the hd700 is sennheisers best when it comes to gaming but it's only marginally better than a hd558 with foam removed.

i would rate the regular stuff people buy as below 5/10 from turtlebeach etc. it's cheap tat made to look good. i could show you a pair of headphones for £15 that would sound as good or even better. koss porta pros or koss ksc75's.

another option is HyperX Cloud II Headset it's ridiculously good for the money and has a mic attached but nothing really compares to a mixamp plus akg's it's simply is end game.

i day to day use hd558's but I'm going to start using my q701's more.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I was under the impression that the optical cable from the rear of the PS4 carries Audio and Mic?

I have the PS4 connected to the mixamp via the optical cable ONLY.

the Mixamp is powered by a Mini USB cable to a 10amp multi USB Charger

The headphones are plugged into the front headphone socket on the mixamp.

The PS4 is set correct as per the Astro PS4 settings.

that usb cable needs to go to the console

you then have to tell the console you want audio chat by USB all other sound by optical cable.

i can assure you this is how i have mine setup.

Soldato
for gaming AKG K702 is like an end game setup you don't get any better you need a mixamp though to enjoy the best in gaming sound unless you want to buy a creative audio x7 (ridiculous money).

for the money though the best bang for buck is HD518's or HD 558's.

why? they have the same drivers as the 598's, in fact the only difference is that 558's have foam on them and are black as opposed to cream and brown. remove the foam and you have 598's for cheaper. the 518's are much more modified they have different grills, etc. they are restricted to sound worse due to being muffled but stil very good for the money.

however the build quality just isn't there imo on the 5XX range from sennheiser i own 558's and i think the cable is the weak point. if it had a removeable cable i'd love it. the fact it doesn't means if you have an issue with the cable your screwed.

i would give the 558 a 8/10 and the k702 a 9.9/10.

i also own akg q701's which are basically a modded k702. i also own hd600's and hd700's as well as DT770's.

the dt770's are a must own if you need closed headphones however they are probably a 7/10 due to not having that wide soundstage that open headphones do. the hd700 is sennheisers best when it comes to gaming but it's only marginally better than a hd558 with foam removed.

i would rate the regular stuff people buy as below 5/10 from turtlebeach etc. it's cheap tat made to look good. i could show you a pair of headphones for £15 that would sound as good or even better. koss porta pros or koss ksc75's.

another option is HyperX Cloud II Headset it's ridiculously good for the money and has a mic attached but nothing really compares to a mixamp plus akg's it's simply is end game.

i day to day use hd558's but I'm going to start using my q701's more.

That's the problem with my 555's the cover that goes over the wire has slipped and the wires are showing now. They are weakening and sound is getting intermittent.

That's why i mentioned the 598's as i noticed they have a removable cable and are easily in my price range. They look similar to my 555's which i love as well, so looking at getting something that replaces them like for like or better. 650's i've heard are good but need a good amp and are better for music than gaming.

Tempted by the 598's most of all, as then i won't need an amp to power them like my 555's.

If i did opt for the K702 what kind of amp would i need i'd not want to be spending more than the 650's overall and would love to spend less.

I don't have to set up with my controller or PS4 as most, i run an optical cable into my pc and listen to my PS4 through SPDIF in on PC headset through the sound card. So it already sounds better than most PS4 setups without an amp.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
if your doing competitive gaming then you want a mixamp.

if your doing immersive gaming then you need a optical dac (with a line out signal which isn't the same as headphone out going into a amp) and a schiit vali 2.

going into a pc then into your headset seems like a waste of electricity to me as well as not needed wear and tear on the pc, just seems like a bodge job.

Soldato
if your doing competitive gaming then you want a mixamp.

if your doing immersive gaming then you need a optical dac (with a line out signal which isn't the same as headphone out going into a amp) and a schiit vali 2.

going into a pc then into your headset seems like a waste of electricity to me as well as not needed wear and tear on the pc, just seems like a bodge job.

It's setup that way as when i stream via a capture card on my PC and record too. So i need it setup that way so i can hear both PC/PS4 sounds via one headsets instead of multiple headphones.

Right so will need to look at either a mixamp or optical dac if i want to power a 702. I'll have a look into it and see if i prefer the 598 or the 702 and extra i'll need tonight as I need a replacement soon.

It's used for pc/ps4 gaming, watching films and listening to music so needs to be on par or better in all of them as my 555's.

Caporegime
OP
the k702 all the way then.

make sure you do the bass mod and your sorted.

mod involves removing a bit of film with some tweezers.

i would get a matching schiit optical DAC

Soldato
That simple? My headphones act as an HDMI hub of sorts and PS4 auto outputs to HDMI in sound settings. So plug in a USB mic and Ill talk and hear everything through my headphones (Which in effect the PS4 thinks is a TV).

Caporegime
OP
Back
Top Bottom