**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

I'm on an 8800GTS and though the graphics have been far from mind-blowing, they're damn respectable and the style is very cool. The above screenshot must have been ran in some crazy low mode and/or jpeg taken it's toll...

I can't get into this game... it takes a quadrillion shots to kill people, and nothing interesting seems to be happening at all :( I'm glad I'd only been waiting for Stalker for a few weeks!

I'll give it a few more chances though, I might get to like it

Dutch Guy said:
Is Transparancy Supersampling working for you guys?Transparent antialiasing doesn't work in this game.

I notice no difference to the trees which I think should be better with Transparancy Supersampling enabled?

Also with 16xCSAA I still notice jaggies, is the AA dodgy in this game?
Transparent antialiasing doesn't work in this game, or antialiasing in general.

When you select antialiasing level on your slider in the in-game options menus, it uses an X-Ray engine pseudo blur antialiasing instead of real multisampling or supersampling. Very few, if any, driver level options make a difference in this game. :(

It's all proprietary X-Ray engine.

furnace said:
I can't get into this game... it takes a quadrillion shots to kill people, and nothing interesting seems to be happening at all :( I'm glad I've only been waiting for this game for a few weeks!
While I've not had that much problem killing people (except when there's more than 2-3 of them), I too couldn't get into it. I've been waiting five years like the other fanatics. :(

This game is the biggest disappointment of the year, in my opinion. I'll probably be playing Supreme Commander and Command & Conquer 3 right up until Quake Wars and Crysis come out.

Last edited:
This game doesn't have top notch graphics due to the fact it's been in development for 5 years. The way in which they have used them though is good, it all works smoothly and looks good, nice big draw distance etc.

I find it really easy to kill people, just have to be careful with your shots.

Brilliant game, best single player FPS in a long time IMO.

InvG

Aekeron said:
I'm on an 8800GTS and though the graphics have been far from mind-blowing, they're damn respectable and the style is very cool. The above screenshot must have been ran in some crazy low mode and/or jpeg taken it's toll...

My Screenshot is on Max Settings. Yes there might be some jpg compression but the graphics in this game are nothing special.

This thread is excellent. Talk about a divide in opinion!

Getting my copy tomorrow (fingers crossed), this thread has only whetted my thirst to see this game up and running.

I'm a little concerned about the graphics aspect, as my 7800GTX and single core processor might struggle a bit... however this thread has already offered a few ideas on what to set the graphics options too.

Either way, should be an interesting weekend... if only I wasn't spending most of it visiting my wife's parents!!!!

3 years of waiting, and when I get the bloody thing, I have to wait some more... talk about him upstairs having a wicked sense of humour!!!!

furnace said:
I can't get into this game... it takes a quadrillion shots to kill people, and nothing interesting seems to be happening at all :( I'm glad I'd only been waiting for Stalker for a few weeks!

I'll give it a few more chances though, I might get to like it
Aim for the head would be the best idea, probably best to get into the habbit of aiming for the head to end a fight quickly. :p

graphics inside with shadows \lighting are some of the best I have seen.

max it all out adjust your gamma as default is way to washed out and then tell me it looks poor, it might run poorly but looks great

1680*1050

dynamic lighting on
everything on max except grass on half

i get 25-40 fps outside
15-30 fps inside

opty @2.8ghz dual core
x1800xt 512
2gb ddr400
xp pro
x-fi

its the shadows inside that kills it for me , looks ace though

time for a new card i feel. just got my yearly bonus today :) £2600

so do i wait for a R600 or not ?

Ulfhedjinn said:
Transparent antialiasing doesn't work in this game, or antialiasing in general.

When you select antialiasing level on your slider in the in-game options menus, it uses an X-Ray engine pseudo blur antialiasing instead of real multisampling or supersampling. Very few, if any, driver level options make a difference in this game. :(

What happens if you try and "FORCE" the AA via (for example) the Nvidia CP. Instead of using Application-Preference or Enhance? I was playing a demo just before, it doesn't appear to support AA at all and it was really really jaggy. So I forced 8x AA in the Control Panel and it looks 100x better. :)

Can that be done here?

Hmmm are the graphics settings working properly ? Iv set everything to max, except antialaising which is 3/4 way along the slider, it looks good........but not amazing, im sure the HDR light isnt working properly it doesnt look as anywhere near as good as oblivion, anyways im getting like a gazzilion fps at these settings on

2.75ghz dualcore opty
8800GTX 768mb
2gb ram
Windows XP

Any ideas?

porkrind said:
max it all out adjust your gamma as default is way to washed out and then tell me it looks poor, it might run poorly but looks great
Sorry porkrind, but I've been there and done that. It still looks horrendous.

Firegod said:
What happens if you try and "FORCE" the AA via (for example) the Nvidia CP. Instead of using Application-Preference or Enhance? I was playing a demo just before, it doesn't appear to support AA at all and it was really really jaggy. So I forced 8x AA in the Control Panel and it looks 100x better. :)

Can that be done here?
Nope, if you force antialiasing in control panel it just doesn't do anything I'm afriad. :(

Combat squirrel said:
Hmmm are the graphics settings working properly ? Iv set everything to max, except antialaising which is 3/4 way along the slider, it looks good........but not amazing, im sure the HDR light isnt working properly it doesnt look as anywhere near as good as oblivion, anyways im getting like a gazzilion fps at these settings on

2.75ghz dualcore opty
8800GTX 768mb
2gb ram
Windows XP

Any ideas?
I asked about AA in this thread, apparantly AA isn't working, only thing the AA setting in the game does is an X-Ray engine pseudo blur antialiasing which IMO is crap, the aliasing almost spoils it.

Also the movement of the enemies look very unnatural, the sprint back and forth a lot like a MP deathmatch instead of a RPG but I have only played it for 15 minutes so far so I will give the game the benefit of the doubt.

Dutch Guy said:
I asked about AA in this thread, apparantly AA isn't working, only thing the AA setting in the game does is an X-Ray engine pseudo blur antialiasing which IMO is crap, the aliasing almost spoils it.
What's worse is that, from what I gather doing tests in-game, antialiasing doesn't actually work with all with lighting set to anything but static. So Combat Squirrel isn't using any antialiasing at all at his settings.

Dutch Guy said:
Also the movement of the enemies look very unnatural, the sprint back and forth a lot like a MP deathmatch instead of a RPG but I have only played it for 15 minutes so far so I will give the game the benefit of the doubt.
I don't mind that the AI sprints a lot, as it's usually heading for cover from what I've seen.

What does bug me about the movement/model of the NPCs though is that quite often they will spin around in circles and follow their target "through" walls (psychic AI.) They also "ice skate" along the floor at times, hovering in the air, and the animation for them holstering their weapon is glitchy as hell.

Back
Top Bottom