**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Thread ****

Soldato
Have a Note 10 + on teh way, Any good ideas for a VERY slim case? Seen the Spidgen clear ones as its the Aura finish.

I've got a Spigen clear case on my desk, which cost five or six quid from Amazon. It seems okay as most Spigen stuff is, but I can't test it yet, since "Warren" is due to deliver my Note 10+ later this afternoon.

Soldato
When producing Teardown skins, partnering with Zack "JerryRigEverything" Nelson was a no-brainer. His popular transparent-back mods are responsible for more voided warranties than anyone else on the planet. When Zack said he wanted to collaborate to bring that Teardown look to the masses, the deal wrote and signed itself - nobody tell Zack. Doing it yourself just got a lot more profitable... for us

https://dbrand.com/shop/limited-edition/teardown

Soldato
Three days with the Note 10+ and I'm thinking about sending it back. It's a great device, no question about it, but coming from a phone that I can use entirely with one hand, I'm not sure I want to adapt to a phone that needs two hands for much of its operation. I thought long and hard before ordering and believed I'd get used to it. The optical fingerprint is a big part of the perceived loss of fluency in using the device. I've registered the same finger twice etc, but the failure rate is pretty high. With my iPhone I just pick up, swipe with a thumb and I'm in.

In addition, I thought that Android would be more exciting and that I'd be able to fill spare minutes tweaking the layout and mucking around with settings. In reality I've checked out a few themes and icon packs and not liked them and returned to the phone's default. So all-in-all it might as well be iOS as far as my usage goes (this is not a bad thing as such).

I'll give it a couple more days and see how it goes.

Soldato
Three days with the Note 10+ and I'm thinking about sending it back. It's a great device, no question about it, but coming from a phone that I can use entirely with one hand, I'm not sure I want to adapt to a phone that needs two hands for much of its operation. I thought long and hard before ordering and believed I'd get used to it. The optical fingerprint is a big part of the perceived loss of fluency in using the device. I've registered the same finger twice etc, but the failure rate is pretty high. With my iPhone I just pick up, swipe with a thumb and I'm in.

In addition, I thought that Android would be more exciting and that I'd be able to fill spare minutes tweaking the layout and mucking around with settings. In reality I've checked out a few themes and icon packs and not liked them and returned to the phone's default. So all-in-all it might as well be iOS as far as my usage goes (this is not a bad thing as such).

I'll give it a couple more days and see how it goes.

I'll never understand this one handed thing.. I can't remember the last time I tried to use a phone one handed for anything other than for example watching something on youtube.. is it really that big a deal? I have a giant friend who went on about this and its why he stayed with smaller iPhones for ages and I nagged and nagged until he tried a big screen.. moaned for a couple of days then never looked back.. stick it out. The benefits are totally worth it.

This is from someone who is 5'9" so on the smaller side and I'm in the industry so I am literally surgically attached to my phone and I get on just fine with a 10+, I'm looking forward to bigger to be honest.

Couple of pointers on the fingerprint thing.. I'll grant you it's not as flawless as something like a physical scanner but have you looked at Bixby routines and smart lock?

Between the 2 of them my phone is basically unlocked all the time it's somewhere safe.. so I've got home and the office setup as locations to stay unlocked, I've also got my bluetooth car kit, buds and watch as devices to keep it unlocked etc etc. It's great once you've set it up because basically it only locks once its away from me which is exactly what I want.

Obviously your work environment might be different I get that but you don't need to have much to do with the sensor.

Soldato
I'll never understand this one handed thing.. I can't remember the last time I tried to use a phone one handed for anything other than for example watching something on youtube.. is it really that big a deal? I have a giant friend who went on about this and its why he stayed with smaller iPhones for ages and I nagged and nagged until he tried a big screen.. moaned for a couple of days then never looked back.. stick it out. The benefits are totally worth it.

I've had big phones before (Note 2, S8+) but then I tried a normal S8 and found I liked the easy of use. It's why I bought an iPhone XS instead of an XS Max. My phone use involves sitting with a coffee (or glass of wine) in one hand and the phone in the other. It's a convenience and a comfort for me that I really enjoy. As it happens, I bought the Note 10+ wanting to get away from the countless pointless interactions that come from having phone that is so easy to use (for example reading a news article while walking up the stairs, or just generally getting the phone out to give my hand and brain something to do). I wanted to improve the quality of my interactions and the Note 10+ does that I think. But for me, the one-handed use is quite a big thing, like most people have things which bother them but others don't mind about.

As for the Bixby routines and smart lock - I'll check them out. I work from home so the phone isn't vulnerable to theft or intrusion much of the time.

Soldato
I've had big phones before (Note 2, S8+) but then I tried a normal S8 and found I liked the easy of use. It's why I bought an iPhone XS instead of an XS Max. My phone use involves sitting with a coffee (or glass of wine) in one hand and the phone in the other. It's a convenience and a comfort for me that I really enjoy. As it happens, I bought the Note 10+ wanting to get away from the countless pointless interactions that come from having phone that is so easy to use (for example reading a news article while walking up the stairs, or just generally getting the phone out to give my hand and brain something to do). I wanted to improve the quality of my interactions and the Note 10+ does that I think. But for me, the one-handed use is quite a big thing, like most people have things which bother them but others don't mind about.

As for the Bixby routines and smart lock - I'll check them out. I work from home so the phone isn't vulnerable to theft or intrusion much of the time.

Oh in that case for sure bixby routines. Google smart lock locations can be a bit iffy, bixby routines are flawless (and no, it's not like alexa etc it's not a voice assistant).

You can have your phone do quite complex stuff based on location, like turn the wifi off and bluetooth on when you leave the house, lock/unlock the phone the phone etc etc. I even have mine set to open spotify when my Buds connect..

It's a little bit squiffy to get started but once you are it's essentially IFTTT on a hardware level.

The one handed thing I guess is personal preference, I routinely use mine one handed when all I'm doing is scrolling/surfing. I found that the times I ever want to type one handed I shouldn't be typing at all so it sort of improved my attention there like a few years back when I fully kicked the habit of ever texting whilst driving.

Soldato
I'm getting on better with the phone now :)

Looking for a case recommendation - I tend to balance my phone on the little finger of my right hand when I'm holding it and the charging port cutout on my existing case chafes the skin on my finger. Does anyone know of a thin case where the opening for the bottom ports are smooth/rounded? Ideally nothing that's £30+ please.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom