**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Thread ****

Soldato
I've had the Note 10+ 5G for a week and sold it on.

The major issue for me was simply the fingerprint reader - so unreliable (even did the double registration thing) and rejected me at least half the time.

Then I never thought I would say this coming from an iPhone but notifications were a problem. Hard to see the notifications when screen is off (have to press the on/off button to show them) and then when in the phone some notifications simply couldn't be dismissed. Wife casting a show on the chromecast -> permanent notification that I can't dismiss without disabling the functionality completely. Also a million Samsung notifications that were quite annoying!

Soldato
I didn't like the fingerprint reader at first. Now it's not too bad, so I'm either using it better or the phone is learning my prints over time.

My technique is to press my thumb down hard so that it squashes and hold it for a second. It works reliably enough that I can accept it.

None of which helps if you've sold the phone of course.

Associate
I've had the Note 10+ 5G for a week and sold it on.

The major issue for me was simply the fingerprint reader - so unreliable (even did the double registration thing) and rejected me at least half the time.

Then I never thought I would say this coming from an iPhone but notifications were a problem. Hard to see the notifications when screen is off (have to press the on/off button to show them) and then when in the phone some notifications simply couldn't be dismissed. Wife casting a show on the chromecast -> permanent notification that I can't dismiss without disabling the functionality completely. Also a million Samsung notifications that were quite annoying!

I like mine, have to say I don't use the fingerprint sensor on mine much. I just use the face unlock option, which works great for me.

On the notifications, I far prefer this to an iPhone. The always on display I feel is amazing. Always having to unlock an iPhone to see a notification was a bit negative for me.

Soldato
I've had no problems with fingerprint reader since I got the phone in August added thumb couple of times and always use a bit of pressure and unlocks straight away fro whatsapp, banking apps etc tho as Mike 702 I use face unlock mostly

Soldato
Not sure if this is phone specific or how Android handles notifications.

From memory, if I got a notification on my iphone, the screen would light up and (depending on settings) I could read where the notification was from and also the first line or two of the contents. This was handy - I could glance at the phone and ignore unimportant stuff. On my Note 10+, an SMS activates edge lighting, the screen comes on and the text appears for me to read. With every other app, (gmail being the most annoying), the phone bleeps, but the screen stays off. When I tap-to-activate the screen, I see a notification icon that lets me know something's waiting. Then, I have to unlock the phone and swipe down the notification panel. It's a minor faff but one I could do without.

Am I missing something? Should every app activate edge lighting and the screen to show me a preview of what's arrived?

Soldato

From memory, if I got a notification on my iphone, the screen would light up and (depending on settings) I could read where the notification was from and also the first line or two of the contents. This was handy - I could glance at the phone and ignore unimportant stuff. On my Note 10+, an SMS activates edge lighting, the screen comes on and the text appears for me to read. With every other app, (gmail being the most annoying), the phone bleeps, but the screen stays off. When I tap-to-activate the screen, I see a notification icon that lets me know something's waiting. Then, I have to unlock the phone and swipe down the notification panel. It's a minor faff but one I could do without.

Am I missing something? Should every app activate edge lighting and the screen to show me a preview of what's arrived?
Maybe I was missing something too, but I found I had to unlock it to read the notification from gmail or whatsapp etc. etc.

All you could see on the lock screen was an icon of what type of notification you had.

Soldato
I like mine, have to say I don't use the fingerprint sensor on mine much. I just use the face unlock option, which works great for me.

On the notifications, I far prefer this to an iPhone. The always on display I feel is amazing. Always having to unlock an iPhone to see a notification was a bit negative for me.
With the new iPhones it basically turns on, unlocks, and shows the notifications as soon as you bring your phone up to look at them. It's pretty good, even in the dark.

You do have to swipe to get to the home screen though, as face unlock doesn't get you past the lock screen.

Soldato
With the new iPhones it basically turns on, unlocks, and shows the notifications as soon as you bring your phone up to look at them. It's pretty good, even in the dark.

You do have to swipe to get to the home screen though, as face unlock doesn't get you past the lock screen.

Point is with AOD you don't even have to touch the phone to see if you have any notifications. So a quick glance is enough, obviously not the content but it'll confirm there's nothing to see which stops you picking it up every 2 minutes which is a modern curse :)

Soldato
Point is with AOD you don't even have to touch the phone to see if you have any notifications. So a quick glance is enough, obviously not the content but it'll confirm there's nothing to see which stops you picking it up every 2 minutes which is a modern curse :)
Yeah I see your point. On the iPhone I would have to double tap the screen to check whether anything has appeared (or pick it up)

There is a downside to that though, which is when you actually want to see what the notification says it's a real hassle :p

Soldato

I believe you have to enable it for all apps - its under Display - Edge Lighting. You can customise the animation and the colour for different apps etc.

Soldato
I believe you have to enable it for all apps - its under Display - Edge Lighting. You can customise the animation and the colour for different apps etc.

Splendid - I thought you just had to set it up and it worked for everything. I've activated it for some other apps and now to wait for an email or whatsapp message! Cheers.

Soldato
Yeah I see your point. On the iPhone I would have to double tap the screen to check whether anything has appeared (or pick it up)

There is a downside to that though, which is when you actually want to see what the notification says it's a real hassle :p

You can double tap to wake on these too so use the AOD to see if you have a notification then tap to wake and see the content if you want that on the lock screen... edge cases tbh I think it's just a usage paradigm.. When I switched a couple of years ago for a little while it was like trying to write with the wrong hand but eventually you just get used to the other way and forget the iOS way. I don't think it's as simple as better or worse when you're used to one or the other.

The AOD also pecks away at the battery. Not that I've hit zero yet over the course of a single day.

Mmm. I suspect it's tiny, like less than waking the screen to check.

Soldato
Mmm. I suspect it's tiny, like less than waking the screen to check.

It used to be quoted as one percent per hour which is not insignificant. Given the Note 10's larger battery and likely software improvements it may well be less than 1%. I've turned the AOD on and will watch how it goes.

As far as the notifications go - after tweaking edge lighting, neither whatsapp nor samsung mail (previously gmail) activate the lighting, nor do they show a preview. It's the same old bleep and the icon appears waiting for me to unlock the phone. I still don't know if this is expected behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom