**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Thread ****

Soldato
The longer I have this phone, the more I like it - the squareness of the design, the ease of use and the fact that Samsung threw in plenty of ram and storage. It's a very nice piece of kit and the only thing it's lacking is a high-refresh screen and a decent low-light camera (it's not terrible, just not great).

I'd recommend it to anyone not bothered about high-hertz screens, assuming you can pick it up for a reduced price.

Associate
I've always wanted a Note device but the size put me off. I was elated when I heard of the regular Note 10 after the S10 was launched. Usually the Note follows the S series and adds some extras. Seemed like the perfect device but then they removed the headphone jack and went with a 1080p display. The Note 10 is still a flagship for the money they were/are asking so it seems like a strange choice to downgrade it mid-generation compared to the S10. The Note 10 Lite is supposed to be the cheaper one.

Rant over. It is what it is. :)

Now that the price has dropped a little I am considering purchasing it. The exynos version is around £450-500, Snapdragon £500-550. But also have the option of getting a second-hand Note 9 from a store (Metallic Copper, Exynos, Dual-sim, 128GB, 10/10 condition apparently) for around £275-300. Or I can wait to see what the Note 20 brings. Hopefully they keep the flatter displays and the QHD+ res like the S20.

So anyone here with the regular Note 10, how are you finding it overall? Especially anyone who came from a Note 9, would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I never actually owned a Note 10 although I seriously considered it. Honestly the only thing that put me off was the centre hole punch, it's awful IMO. Anyway, having owned both the other two, albeit briefly, the Note 9 and Note 10+ have an almost identical footprint so if you're put off by the size of the 10+ then don't expect the 9 to be any better.
With regards to screen resolution I wouldn't worry about it. The 10+ comes set to FHD out of the box and I bet 50% of the people who have one either don't know that or choose to keep it at FHD.
I don't recall the pitchforks waving so much for the last gen exynos/Snapdragon performance gap, it was there but not to the extent of the S20 phones.
I returned the 10+ after a week or so for a number of reasons but chief among them was the hole punch otherwise I'd have almost certainly replaced it with a regular 10.

Associate
Thanks Gmac11.

Agree about the FHD vs QHD. Just the fact that it was meant to be a flagship, together with the money they were asking for it seemed a bit greedy on their part. Especially with the smaller displays on the S10 and S20 still having the QHD displays. Seems strange.

With the hole punch, don't they have the setting to hide it, like a virtual bezel? Or would that be too big? Also, I heard that the hole punch on the Note 10 is slightly smaller than the S10.

I think I'll wait a few months to see if there will be a smaller Note 20. I don't upgrade often as I buy my phones outright sim-free. I currently have a Xiaomi Mi 5 :p

Soldato
It's not so much the size of the hole punch it's the placement. I had an S10e and loved that phone. It also had a larger hole punch than the Note 10 but at least it was tucked away in the corner. The centre punch just sticks out like a sore thumb. Some people appreciate the symmetry but not me.

Soldato
Re: size of the Note 10. Samsung have really thought out the one-handed operation and I can use my 10+ with its 6.8" screen more easily than my old iPhone XS with its 5.8" screen. The device still doesn't fit comfortably in tight jeans, but in terms of actual usage, it's great and if I ever move to an iPhone or whatever I'll miss the ease of use.

Also I can't really see much difference between low and high resolution on mine. Certainly it's sharp enough for me at either setting.

Soldato
Forgot to mention above, yes you can hide the hole punch on the Note however it loses a considerable amount of screen real estate and defeats the purpose of the screen IMO. If you're willing to do that you may as well just buy a Note 9 then.

Associate
I had the Note 9, upgraded to the 10+ and I'm not sure I would do the same again when the Note 20 comes out.
I think maybe an upgrade every 2 years may see better returns.
After owning the Note 9 and 10+ and for the price premium that the 10+ is, I would probably go with the 9 unless money was no issue, don't get me wrong I love the 10+.

Associate
Note 9 seems to be a popular device. Held its value pretty well. A brand new one is almost the same price as a regular Note 10!

Tempted to get the used Note 9 but there will be no warranty and I've heard reports of displays failing recently, colour issues and green screens, maybe from the latest s/w update. Where I live you cannot even buy Samsung phones sim free so I would need to import it. Too much of a risk for me.

I think I'll wait for the Note 20. If it's the same size as the Note 10 but with the reported 4000 mAh battery and reasonable price then I'll get it. Otherwise I'll go for the Note 10 or forget about the s-pen and go with the S10e which is the perfect size for me.

Soldato
New Good lock module

Samsung has released a brand new module for Good Lock, called Home Up. It introduces new ways in which you can personalize your One UI experience, particularly in regards to the home screen and apps drawer. It lets you customize the way your folders pop up from the home screen, it has additional blur effect settings, and it even lets you enable page looping for the apps drawer, which is probably one of the best new features.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/good-lock-module-customize-home-screen-app-drawer

Soldato
I had a great experience with Samsung today, I got the old moisture detected issue so I booked it in for repair.

I got an email on the day saying what time slot I had and I could track the engineer, turned up and replaces the charging port in his van within 30mins.

Associate
New Good lock module

Samsung has released a brand new module for Good Lock, called Home Up. It introduces new ways in which you can personalize your One UI experience, particularly in regards to the home screen and apps drawer. It lets you customize the way your folders pop up from the home screen, it has additional blur effect settings, and it even lets you enable page looping for the apps drawer, which is probably one of the best new features.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/good-lock-module-customize-home-screen-app-drawer

Why don't Samsung just build these things in to their UI instead of this messing around downloading 'Special' apps to make their UI worth using.

Soldato
Why don't Samsung just build these things in to their UI instead of this messing around downloading 'Special' apps to make their UI worth using.

Because some people would never use the feature or under stand it(my wife) . They turn the phone on maybe swap wallpaper and use :rolleyes:

I had a great experience with Samsung today, I got the old moisture detected issue so I booked it in for repair.

I got an email on the day saying what time slot I had and I could track the engineer, turned up and replaces the charging port in his van within 30mins.

I've used the repair service twice and found it great

Soldato
Given the fact Android 10 nav gestures only play nicely with the device's native launcher, I want all the stock features I can get. The Samsung launcher is terrible. At least give us more grid sizes and the ability to load icon packs.

Back
Top Bottom