****The Official Samsung Galaxy S II Thread***

ok my last post on nothing constructive about this phone just my delivery.

Been on the phone to yodel/DHL yesterday and today. I even went to the depot last night as they would never phone me back. They could not find my phone yesterday so I was given the home delivery guys number. Phoned him today and he went looking for it.

Phoned me back 4 hours later to say its definitely lost. So I have not had my phone for over a week and now I have no idea when it will arrive, I phoned O2 and they are going to try and send me out a new one but they can't do that until DHL admit it's lost, But DHL aint answering the phone to O2.

DHL have been really shoddy on this, told me they would phone me back 5 times and only once did they bother. That's one of the things that has annoyed me the most.

Anyway just had to rant. Think of me when you are all having fun :(

If it's any consolation, it's not looking too good for me either. The card the Yodel guy left yesterday only has a phone number on it which goes to voicemail, but the inbox is full. There's no parcel number on there. I've tried calling the main Yodel phone number, but the line goes dead as soon as it tries to connect me to my local service centre.

Great. It never ceases to amaze how, even with the massive amount of deliveries these companies must do these days due to online shopping etc, how completely broken their systems and way of doing business are.

When I got my O2 PAYG phone I didn't check whether it was unlocked or not and submitted an unlock request on the O2 website. Since I have a 12 month Simplicity contract O2 will do it for free anyway, and they are working on it :)

It would be quite funny if it is already unlocked :p

ok my last post on nothing constructive about this phone just my delivery.

Been on the phone to yodel/DHL yesterday and today. I even went to the depot last night as they would never phone me back. They could not find my phone yesterday so I was given the home delivery guys number. Phoned him today and he went looking for it.

Phoned me back 4 hours later to say its definitely lost. So I have not had my phone for over a week and now I have no idea when it will arrive, I phoned O2 and they are going to try and send me out a new one but they can't do that until DHL admit it's lost, But DHL aint answering the phone to O2.

DHL have been really shoddy on this, told me they would phone me back 5 times and only once did they bother. That's one of the things that has annoyed me the most.

Anyway just had to rant. Think of me when you are all having fun :(

I feel your pain! Wonder if there are some couriers with new phones ;) Can't O2 email DHL about your order? Very disappointing service from DHL.

Robbo cheers

How you finding the battery ?

First charge only has 6 hours

I'll report back about the battery later, I cant really comment accurately yet. Its looking good though.

I found the battery to be as bad as my Desire to start off with, but then using Titanium Backup I removed all the Samsung software (even the Hubs) and turned off automatic brightness (configure it myself using Brightness Profiles).

I usually leave home at 07:00 and by this time yesterday I was on around 50%. Today will the above changes I am on 71%, and that is after watching 75 minutes of videos, 15 minutes of much and constant push email.

I found the battery to be as bad as my Desire to start off with, but then using Titanium Backup I removed all the Samsung software (even the Hubs) and turned off automatic brightness (configure it myself using Brightness Profiles).

I usually leave home at 07:00 and by this time yesterday I was on around 50%. Today will the above changes I am on 71%, and that is after watching 75 minutes of videos, 15 minutes of much and constant push email.

I haven't set any of the hubs up yet for fear of them buggering my battery impressions up, I'll have a look and probably root and remove them later on :p

Robbo how you do those icons at the bottom of the dock ?

LauncherPro Plus and then find some text images you like, SimpText is good, lots of others though.

Anyone else had a O2 shop refuse to sell SGS2 because they had a 'email' saying they could'nt sell the phone as pay as you go?

Had same problem when the HD7 was launched. Wait a week or try another store. They make more money selling phone with contract.

Or tell them you called another store nearby who are willing to sell you one on PAYG and see if they change their mind.

But as for transferring content to the phone when it's plugged into the PC directly, not worth it, I'm guessing :D

If not using Kies enable "USB debugging". (Settings -> Applications -> Development). Your phones storage now appears as a "Removeable Storage" in Windows explorer.

With USB debugging the phone connects in MTP mode, on a desktop you could ignore the notications but in my car it wants to disable bluetooth and stop services etc.

Nearly a week now of usage..this phone is amazing, it is just super fast...installing apps is instant...browsing the net is super fast.....it's just light years ahead of the Desire it replaced. Havent had this jump for ages (various XDAs/Xperia X1 -> Hero -> Desire -> SGS2..it just runs rings around any phone out there

Oustanding questions (anyone know?)

A) Why do some apps not recognise my MicroSD card? They see the "USB" storage (i.e. the 11gb or so of the 16gb in the phone) as external storage (e.g. Spotify). Even Moving to SD seems to move it to the 11gb and not the microsd card?
B) How do I stop the phone vibrating alert when the battery is full?
C) Is Swype included with the phone? Is there an alternative to XT9 (i liked HTC's predictive style for example, not sure about XT9, especially as predictive text shows up and hides, the window changes size)

A) Not sure but I believe the 11Gb partition is effectively your 'first' SD Card, and then for apps that support multiple ones there is a 'second' which is the actual SD card, hence some apps not seeing it. I could be wrong however...

B) No idea

How can i take screenshots of the S2's display? Can it be done without root access?

Home + Power Button = Screenshot \o/

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19058415&postcount=2728

:p

Overall? Very well.

The only two things I'd say are firmly in favour of the iPhone are its premium feel (though that is subjective) and obviously the app store is quite a lot better than the one on Android (despite what people might say).

This phone is top dog for the time being at least, absolutely no question. Its a monster.

Just out of curiosity what is it about the iTunes market that makes it better, is it the iTunes bit of it, or just the apps available, and if the latter than what apps in particular?

On the subject of battery life, mine seems to be getting better over time, currently I unplugged it at 5:30am ish, so 7.5 hours or so, but being at work usage is very light, wifi + gps on, two gmail accounts with assorted email/calendars etc synching along, a 5 minute or so phone call just now and maybe 20 minutes of light usage whilst at work.

End result = battery at 95%, at this rate it'll still be >90% when I get home after a days work :o

Hs anyone's phone gotten hot from the back top??

Fist few days mine would get so hot I had to shut it down and remove the battery or I'm sure it would have started to smoke. Also the battery would percentage would start to count down as I was looking at it. 50% gone in like 5 mins.

So I did a clean format and this time during setup chose not to restore from Google backup. No problems since (5 days). Some settings must have been restoring itself causing the CPU to hit 100% and run down the battery.

I'm astounded. My S2 arrived at home yesterday, my dad forwarded it to my house and I've received my O2 branded BUT not locked S2. My Vodafone sim is already in it and working.

Wooo!

guys unsure what to do, seems to be a mixed back if a different network carriers sim will run? can i ask who took advantage of the o2 deal and then stuck a diffident sim in. i see above fen739 had no issues.

sc20110505130620.jpg

sc20110505130346.jpg

My lock screen and main home screen, thanks to Khaaan! for the launcher icons.

Apps are LauncherPro Plus, SwitchPro, WidgetLocker and PowerAmp

Back
Top Bottom