****The Official Samsung Galaxy S II Thread***

Aimed at jimlad

A poll on xda shows it's about 50/50 if your phone is locked if you bought it as pay as you go on o2. Eitherway it can be unlocked in under 10 mins and costs £15 so no big deal.

Last edited:
guys unsure what to do, seems to be a mixed back if a different network carriers sim will run? can i ask who took advantage of the o2 deal and then stuck a diffident sim in. i see above fen739 had no issues.

My O2 PAYG is locked. I am waiting on the unlock code from a third party for £15

okay so copying my SD card contents to the internal memory right now as the SD card is seen as "external sd" even though internal mem is seen as "sd" lol so some apps fail to find the sd card where their backups are stored. Simple enough process to migrate contents to internal mem really.

I wills ay this, compared to the Desire this thing flies, the screen is wonderful :D

I want to get the stock Android keyboard back as I don't like Samsung's one and I also want Widget Locker but all that will be done later as I mash in stuff from CM7 after rooting.

Will do a proper review compared to HTC Desire tomorrow maybe and also compared with other phones I have had extended use with (iPhone 4, Galaxy S etc).

I've also ordered 2x cases, one will become my new DIY dash mount holder so a mini project on that over the weekend. Also ordered an Android sticker, just because :p

Just out of curiosity what is it about the iTunes market that makes it better, is it the iTunes bit of it, or just the apps available, and if the latter than what apps in particular?

While iTunes isn't the best piece of software I've ever used, Android simply has nothing like it. It is useful and it does work very well, I won't really miss it though as I don't buy films and music with it.

Generally, nearly every single iPhone app is better. They tend to be more stable, of a higher quality and often developed by the companies directly (big companies, like BBC, Sky, etc) and I just think a lot of the Android apps feel like poor knock offs in comparison.

There are plenty of good ones though, and the superb browser and flash support means I can get by without the iPhone ones with no trouble :)

Android games are absolutely shocking in comparison too, but thankfully there are plenty of good ones and I dont play games much anyway :p

End result = battery at 95%, at this rate it'll still be >90% when I get home after a days work :o

That is ridiculously good :eek:

guys quick question about the SD card...

I dont know much about the different classes but I understand its something to do with the transfer speed?

Well I wanted to get a 32gb micro sdhc for this and all the ones I've found are only class 2...but I believe the classes go up to 10?

So is this card going to be really slow? like stuttering when watching hi-def films or something?

thanks

okay so copying my SD card contents to the internal memory right now as the SD card is seen as "external sd" even though internal mem is seen as "sd" lol so some apps fail to find the sd card where their backups are stored. Simple enough process to migrate contents to internal mem really.

I wills ay this, compared to the Desire this thing flies, the screen is wonderful :D

I want to get the stock Android keyboard back as I don't like Samsung's one and I also want Widget Locker but all that will be done later as I mash in stuff from CM7 after rooting.

Will do a proper review compared to HTC Desire tomorrow maybe and also compared with other phones I have had extended use with (iPhone 4, Galaxy S etc).

I've also ordered 2x cases, one will become my new DIY dash mount holder so a mini project on that over the weekend. Also ordered an Android sticker, just because :p

Hey Khaaan, would love to see the comparison with the desire. im leaning towards this phone, but also like the look of the sensation, what were your thoughts on that?

I dont know much about the different classes but I understand its something to do with the transfer speed?

Well I wanted to get a 32gb micro sdhc for this and all the ones I've found are only class 2...but I believe the classes go up to 10?

So is this card going to be really slow? like stuttering when watching hi-def films or something?

thanks

not to sure on that, but i know the 16gb cards go a lot higher in class

While iTunes isn't the best piece of software I've ever used, Android simply has nothing like it. It is useful and it does work very well, I won't really miss it though as I don't buy films and music with it.

Generally, nearly every single iPhone app is better. They tend to be more stable, of a higher quality and often developed by the companies directly (big companies, like BBC, Sky, etc) and I just think a lot of the Android apps feel like poor knock offs in comparison.

There are plenty of good ones though, and the superb browser and flash support means I can get by without the iPhone ones with no trouble :)

Android games are absolutely shocking in comparison too, but thankfully there are plenty of good ones and I dont play games much anyway :p

Thanks, I've not used iTunes much and never with an iPhone, personally I disliked it as a music player/organiser, and at the time the DRM but that's completely irrelevant these days afaik.

One thing I would say in defence of android is that, for apps at least, the market.android.com website works beautifully on the SGS2, my magic it took a while to catch up but on the sgs2 half the time it's already installed by the time I pick up my phone :p

I can see the point on the quality of the apps as well, although it does appear that people (like BBC/Sky that you mentioned) have started creating proper Android apps which can only be a good thing :)

And yeah, Games, bit of an downside there I agree.

But again cheers for the comparison, it's hard to get a fair comparison really as it's often tainted by Android Vs iOS fanboy-ism :p

That is ridiculously good :eek:

I have no idea why it's so good though, I did make some changes last night, main one being I had managed to set the screen to 100% brightness somehow, probably the press+hold+drag on notifications shortcut a while back.

But yesterdays wasn't as good as this (70-<something> by the time I got home at 5 ish), and I didn't expect the changes I did last night to do that much...

Will see if it continues with my normal usage over the next week or so.

thanks

get a class 4 or above.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19057165&postcount=2672

thanks

The class is supposed to identify the minimum sustained transfer rates for the card.

So a class 6 card could have a peak transfer speed matching a class 10, but should never transfer below the 6 rating.

Class 2, 2 MB/s
Class 4, 4 MB/s
Class 6, 6 MB/s
Class 10, 10 MB/s

So the card you need will depend on the bitrate of the HD video you want to watch. A class 2 card will have a 4000kb/s video stuttering.

Also, be wary of a well known shop selling PNY class 10 cards cheap. They are not PNY branded and do not conform to the class 10 specs.

What is this bloody "Wifi Sharing" actually trying to do, using up to 10% of my battery and I'm not actually using it.

Thankfully I didn't set up the Hubs so they aren't power thieving as far as I can tell.

thanks

Check out the thread below from XDA lots in there about Micro SD cards in this phone. It looks like Class 2 might be too slow in some cases. I have so far found a 32GB class 4 for £54 and a Class 10 for £73 but cant post links for obvious reasons.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1037467

Back
Top Bottom