*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S III ACCESSORIES Thread ***

Associate
I can also confirm that the newer fake rock cases are exactly the same as the real deal. I've a real and a fake for my s3 which are different in the way mrk has described then I've just got my mrs a white s3 and I ordered a fake one and it's identical to my real one.

Soldato
Rock case just arrived ordered from the link mrk gave while it's quite nice I'm not sure it would protect the bottom and top of phone if dropped :/

Rock cases are all about looking good. Pretty worthless as something that actually protects your phone if dropped unless you're very lucky.
Mrk there are plenty of cases out there which offer proper protection - stop blindly defending it just because it looks pretty :p

Caporegime
Yeah despite the rock case looking very nice with a lovely texture, it doesn't cover the top or bottom and after seeing that the GS 3 can chip/dent quite easily (that is with a nillkin case on as well) compared to the likes of the GS 2, I personally wouldn't want to take the risk if I had a GS 3.

I was going to get one for my S, but didn't like that those 2 areas were exposed especially since the S has a chipping issue at the top for the majority of people (thankfully haven't had any problems yet! Apart from around the USB port edges), so instead got the diztronic matte TPU case for £8, it is a superb case, looks nice and has a nice matte back, although it is very smooth so a bit slippy, but half of it is gloss black so pretty good grip there. It also adds very little bulk.

You can get the same case for the GS 3 on the auction site, I have done a review of one for the S, the GS 3 case will be the same as the case for the s, just different size and cut-outs :p

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1090499-diztronic-matte-black-tpu-case/

Last edited:
Associate
FYI
Two more 'fake' Rock cases received today from different sellers, exactly the same as the real one. The other one I have that is a little less textured must be a one-off.

Would you be so kind as to link to the good fake ones? The one I have has very little grip - the phone felt 'grippier' without it!

Soldato
Yeah despite the rock case looking very nice with a lovely texture, it doesn't cover the top or bottom and after seeing that the GS 3 can chip/dent quite easily (that is with a nillkin case on as well) compared to the likes of the GS 2, I personally wouldn't want to take the risk if I had a GS 3.

Thats the reason I got the Rock case, I like the look of the phone and want it keep as much of the original look as possible.

For me personally, aesthetics is part of the joy of using the device.

Soldato
Rock cases are all about looking good. Pretty worthless as something that actually protects your phone if dropped unless you're very lucky.
Mrk there are plenty of cases out there which offer proper protection - stop blindly defending it just because it looks pretty :p

Recommend me a case that will actually protect it. Not sold on the Rock

Caporegime
Thats the reason I got the Rock case, I like the look of the phone and want it keep as much of the original look as possible.

For me personally, aesthetics is part of the joy of using the device.

Likewise, hate having a case on the S as it is so thin and I really miss the minimal/sleek look (isn't too bad with the TPU matte case, but still not the same), not to mention the feel of the ceramic back :(

But I would be so annoyed with myself if I where to drop it :p especially since the S is definitely going to chip/dent whatever way it lands.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

Not at all.

I've not had a case on any of my android phones that has not protected the top or bottom and then from a fall, to crack or scratch those exposed areas.

It's all fine for people who have had bad luck to oppose and recommend something else but why should I do the same when my experience is the complete opposite.

I have yet to see another type of case that keeps the sleek feel and look of the S3 while adding more grip to the device. That's the whole point of these cases, to add more grip so the chance of you dropping it are less likely but not make it look or feel bulky. I've got a number of S3 cases now and only the Nilkin/Rock type of cases keep the phone feeling the best and ultimately looking the best.

You could say the same for having all round protection cases, what if you get unlucky and the phone lands screen first onto the corner of a table edge or sharp surface, what then? The exact same can be said about those cases so in effect nobody can win here unless you wrap the entire phone in a protective shell which then leads to an impressively ugly phone which to the surprise of some, is a bold statement because the design of the S3 is ugly in the first instance.

See what I'm getting at here?

Bizarre.

Edit*
IMO until Walnutt release a bumper case for the S3 there won't really be a nice all round protection case that doesn't add bulk or an ugly "my first smartphone" look like these wrap/gel cases.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom