**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Soldato
There are so many variables that would mean that wouldn't be an hour to everyone.. this has been my whole point in the past.. it's all specific user cases and it's not as if there's the tens upon tens of thousands of people who've bought one of these going to take their turn to riot next week.

Yes there are differences but it's blown up into a bigger thing than it is for everyone other than uber nerds.

I mean, Neoboy will be along shortly to say his phone is unusable. So what? My GF and I have the exact opposite experience so do we win?

Soldato
Without getting into metrics, in my case it means a first smartphone I've had that doesn't last me a day and dead by 6-7pm.

Even Xperia 1 with its big screen and 3330mAh battery lasted me a day.

Soldato
So what?

Pretty useful to know your phone might not be up to spec of exact model from different region and Samsung will do nothing to help. Battery behaviour also mimicked on a friend's S10+ when he switched carriers, dive bombed when he went from EE to O2.

My simple advise is to return within 14 days window if your battery is bad and doesn't get any better in a week.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have a scratch!!!!

S10e_scratch.jpg

To be fair it's been an absolute workhorse, I've used it in many conditions both inside and out and had since launch so this being the only screen damage since then is pretty good going. No idea how it happened still... Thankfully only visible from that angle and not head on.

Soldato
So it's not just me who sees that photos are brighter when you're looking at them through camera app compared to the regular gallery?

Pretty annoyed, as took a lot of photos on the beach with night mode and they look great in the camera app but actual photos are much darker when you're looking at them.

Soldato
I am bored of waiting for either of the two semi-legit phone importing websites to get the Snapdragon S10e back in stock, so I'm thinking of going with an AliExpress seller. Worst case scenario if the phone is damaged or doesn't arrive, I'll have credit card protection. If anything goes wrong with the phone itself after delivery though I'll be kinda screwed without any warranty. Anyone done something similar?

Even the Exynos version is either OOS or stupidly priced here, so not going for that.

Soldato
Expected really as we supposed to get 2 major ones.

Also been having an odd issue with Snapchat camera after one of the updates, image looks fine when I focus but as soon as it takes a photo everything comes out really dark, like EV get dropped by a point or two. Just me or did I hit some weird settings as images are fine on all other apps.

Soldato
So I did go for an imported G9700 in the end, £390 total (would've been £380 if I hadn't forgotten to pay in USD). Much faster than my ageing Galaxy S5, and the battery is quite a bit better too. The batteries are about the same size so the chipset efficiency improvements are probably making the difference there. I had 3h47m screen-on time yesterday and ended the day with over 50% battery (no charging). Pretty pleased with that!

There are niggles, like not being able to use a different camera app without unlocking the phone, GCam not being able to record at 60 FPS, things like that. That said, if anyone is interested in taking good quality photos I'd definitely recommend a GCam port - the difference in detail is night and day compared to the muddy mess produced by SCam in low and medium light.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Samsung camera was vastly improved with updates really. What version of gcam and what settings config are you using?

My Scam gallery of late: https://imgur.com/gallery/2SYhNxV

Btw no OEM phone allows you to remap the double tap power button to launch an alternative camera app so not a niggle specific to Samsung.

Soldato
Btw no OEM phone allows you to remap the double tap power button to launch an alternative camera app so not a niggle specific to Samsung.
I am able to do this on my OP8 Pro with gcam installed. I double press power and get list of apps to open camera on. I'll the just tap once and open camera app.

Soldato
Samsung camera was vastly improved with updates really. What version of gcam and what settings config are you using?

My Scam gallery of late: https://imgur.com/gallery/2SYhNxV
Those are some nice pics but I have the latest OS and app updates, and no matter what settings I play with in the app, there's details always turn out as a muddy blur with oversharpening. Here's a good example comparison:

Samsung Camera (Bixby Scene Optimiser on)
GCam 7.3.018 Urnyx05 v2.1 with "s10-config-v2"

The images are cropped from the originals but you don't have to even zoom to see the huge difference. The leaves and bark are just a blurry mess with Samsung Camera, and you can see sharpening artefacts around the bin.

Maybe with good light Samsung Camera is much better?

I think the double tap setting is only in the Samsung Camera app, it's not actually a system-wide setting. If it was, maybe it could be changed.
Totes jelly of you Snapdragon users having the option of GCAM.

Also is it not just possible to map the Bixby button to launch it?
I am able to do this on my OP8 Pro with gcam installed. I double press power and get list of apps to open camera on. I'll the just tap once and open camera app.
Bixby remapping works but basically Samsung has locked down what can and cannot be done from the lock screen. The default camera app also cannot be changed as far as I know...these two restrictions are probably one and the same, i.e. only the default camera app can be launched while the screen is locked, and they don't let you change that app. With LineageOS I was able to use any camera app. It's a crappy Samsung restriction, just like not being able to change what gallery app is launched from their camera app.

I currently have Bixby set to launch Samsung Camera from lock screen and GCam when unlocked (plus long press for torch and double tap for night mode). Even that isn't perfect though because right now I prefer to take videos with Samsung Camera and photos with GCam. >_>

Back
Top Bottom