**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S21 Family Thread ****

So actually looking around at rumoured specs of the base S21 including Plus model, I'm not even sure it will be worth it to upgrade from my S10+, especially since we now have 3 years of software support.

Granted it's a 120Hz panel but it's a bigger screen with 1080p resolution instead of 1440p, expandable storage has been dropped, only x3 zoom compared to x2 (I had x5 on P30 Pro 2 years ago) and 5G is pretty irrelevant to where I live for few more years.

Sure Ultra seems to get all the best goodies, but Samsung have now entered obscene Apple money territory that I'm not prepared to pay under the best of circumstances.

So actually looking around at rumoured specs of the base S21 including Plus model, I'm not even sure it will be worth it to upgrade from my S10+, especially since we now have 3 years of software support.

Granted it's a 120Hz panel but it's a bigger screen with 1080p resolution instead of 1440p, expandable storage has been dropped, only x3 zoom compared to x2 (I had x5 on P30 Pro 2 years ago) and 5G is pretty irrelevant to where I live for few more years.

Sure Ultra seems to get all the best goodies, but Samsung have now entered obscene Apple money territory that I'm not prepared to pay under the best of circumstances.
I was close to upgrade my S10+ to S20 because of reasonable trade-in offers on Samsung site. But instead switched back to a Pixel.

Currently using a Pixel 5, but I feel there is something off about the photos I'm getting from it compared to S10+. I'm keeping an eye on the ultra model and might switch back if camera reviews well.

It generally feels like Samsung have really been stripping base Galaxy and Note models of features to push people towards the more expensive Ultra variants.

Somewhat started with Note 10 and 20 where base phones were quite poor value compared to competition. Trouble is, while they are asking for Apple money for Ultra models, they neither have resale values nor much longer software to support to justify it in for me personally.

All I want is a phone that's a similar size to my regular S10, but isn't gutted in terms of features compared to the bigger models. I don't want a 6.9" screen for god's sake. Even the S20 FE at 6.4 felt too big in my hands.

Are there any fully featured android phones at the minute that aren't massive?

All I want is a phone that's a similar size to my regular S10, but isn't gutted in terms of features compared to the bigger models. I don't want a 6.9" screen for god's sake. Even the S20 FE at 6.4 felt too big in my hands.

Are there any fully featured android phones at the minute that aren't massive?

Xperia 5mk2?

Also have an S10, wanted to get the S21 but besides 120hz I'm not sure if it's much of an upgrade?

I think I'll get an iPhone 12/12 Mini instead, they are not much better than my S10 either but a change of OS would be a breath of fresh air.

Going to wait until the official S21 event to make up my mind though. Maybe the regular S21 will be very cheap? (I doubt it)

Xperia 5mk2?

Good shout. How's the Sony software experience? Kinda itching to get back to the vanilla Android experience tbh. Samsung and OneUI isn't bad, but I'd really like to simplify and go back to a single google ecosystem.

As for the Sony hardware, 120Hz screen seems good. 21:9 aspect ratio I'm not so sure about in terms of content consumption, as I rarely watch movies on my phone, mainly TV, but I like that it's narrow and taller. Battery seems decent, not bothered about the headphone jack, and camera seems okay. I'm a point and shoot guy so I'll never use all the features of the camera system, but nice to have I guess. Not keen on the look of the phone itself, looks a bit dated, but also not too fussed.

I think if my S10 had a 90 or 120Hz screen I don't think I'd even upgrade at this point. Only other thing lacking with is the battery, but I'm rarely without a charger, so it's not really a problem.

I completely skipped the S20 series as the reviews said the battery life was dreadful. My missus has the S20 and she says the battery life is tosh compared to her Huawei mate 20 pro.
I went with the iPhone 11 and no complaints at all. However I miss certain things about Android/Samsung.
If the S21 can give me 7 hours SOT I might give it a go.
I agree

My s20 plus battery lasts nothing like my mate 20 Pro did.

It drains when not in use like mad.

Currently got a Note 10+ but I really want something with a better CPU; whatever Exynos is in this is rubbish; its really obvious compared to Snapdragon powered Tablets (S6 and S7); I really hope the new Exynos 3100 that we'll get over here is improved although the new Snapdragon 888 isn't getting great write-ups so far anyway

Back
Top Bottom