**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

Associate
It's apparently going to be £1049 for 12/256 and the equivalent S22U is £1249. Off course with trade in and discounts etc it's less but to say the X5 Pro costs more is inaccurate.

After watching that whole 1hr review and a few others I think this may be my next phone, instead of the S22U that I had cancelled. Screen protector/case/charger all in the box, 85W charging (50% in 12 mins!), Snapdragon, no pointless zoom but still a very good camera, ColorOS, and a few other better things that the S22U, IMO.

Pre orders from March 10, will wait for some performance and battery tests until then before making final decision, but could be a good alternative to those who have also cancelled/returned the S22U.

How many updates will the oppo get? Not may I'm sure.

I would never buy oppo, oneplus or xoime.

Associate
I agree the X5 Pro looks pretty compelling with its dedicated image processor. Low light video and photos look excellent on the main and UWA.

Yeah, X5 Pro or jump ship to iOS for me. The one thing worrying me about the Oppo is the lack of cases. Might sound silly but I do like to mix things up! Then again, if I really want a change Apple is probably the way to go.

Man of Honour
Well just ordered a 15W wireless charging unit for my car's centre console under the armrest. It will replace the DIY one I had all this time as that won't take a phone wider than the S20 5G and this was my main concern for an OEM-looking fast wireless charging install when I upgrade phones etc. Not any more, it wasn't cheap though at just over £140, but it is the best solution available whilst being completely clean.

Associate
Think mine is going back. Lots of people are clearly happy, which is good, but for me it just doesn't feel like an upgrade over my Pixel 6 Pro. Exynos again seems poor compared to the SD variant and there are just too many bugs. Quick summary of my experience.

Battery life is poor. Drains at about the same rate as my Pixel even when the Ultra is just sat there doing nothing.

Screen is good, as you would expect with Samsung.

Speakers I think are disappointing. Nowhere near as good as the Note 20 Ultra I had.

Overall UI experience is not good enough. I wouldn't say the phone is a mess, but on my Pixel I can flick apps closed or open the app switcher and there is zero lag and it's smooth. On the Ultra it's just a bit....janky! Things like split screen really aren't smooth and I hate the blurring when you adjust the split screen ratio.

Software is fine, not too much bloat.

FPS is ok, but given the criticism of the Pixel's, I'd say the Ultra's is only slightly better. Face unlock is better than on the Note 20 Ultra I had, but it's no Face ID.

Camera is...ok. I'm warming to Samsung's images but it really does seem to oversaturate images, especially in low light. Anything in the house after dark looks like it's had a sepia filter applied. Zoom is good as is portrait mode. Haven't tried video or selfies. There's definitely shutter lag compared to other phones. Not ideal if you're aiming at something which moves!

Overall build quality is great, as you'd expect.

And that's about it. My advice if anyone is thinking of getting an Exynos version would be to wait. Your handset might be fine but I'd wait to see what updates come out over the next month. Or buy in such a way you can return it.

A shame really as I'd love to keep it as I fancy a change. I do wonder how much is down to Exynos as I have to say the Note 20 Ultra also left me underwhelmed. That's probably me done with Samsung until they sort out the SD / Exynos divide.

I do like the look of the Oppo X5 Pro and might give that a go. But if the iPhone 13 Pro Max had an AOD and I could transfer WhatsApp messages then I reckon that's where I'd go.

Tbh reading all these posts etc I am very glad I decided to skip this Samsung and go to ios.
i was actually dreading moving over to ios but its not as bad as I thought it would be.
I am loving my iPhone 13 pro max 1tb and apple watch 7.
I thought I would miss the aod but with the watch, I do not really notice it now.

I am amazed at the iphone`s battery life.tbh i was happy with my s21 ultras battery life. but this iPhone is on another level.
As for the what's app messages. i never bothered to transfer those across. but there is several programs you can use to do that, from ios to Samsung and Samsung to ios. ect so that really should not be an issue.

Associate
Been there done that but eventually gone back to Android, back in late 2020 after a few years away from Apple I bought an iPhone 12 mini it was riddled with bugs from the start, i got fed up of waiting for things to be fixed such as low volume on notifications, keyboard click volume starting low then raising more you used it, & not forgetting the strange random flickering bug in the display & i wasn't the only one suffering these problem neither, it affected all of the iPhone 12 lineup, & with every update to iOS these bugs remained even months after people complaining to Apple about them, to the point i got fed up & traded it in and bought S21 Ultra last July.

The S21 Ultra has been a great problem free phone for me in the months i had it, I was going to keep it for another year, but the hype of the S22 Ultra got the better of me. :(

The S21 Ultra is now with a new user, & the S22 Ultra hopefully will carry on from the S21 Ultra left off for the rest of this year.

Associate
So there is a battery comparison on the S22 Ultra Exynos 2200 vs Snapdragon 8 Gen1 with interesting results.
If the Exynos 2200 standby battery usage can be optimized further then these two variations of S22 Ultra could be comparable.

This is my big annoyance with Samsung, if you release the phone with 2 different chipsets then make sure they are comparable not miles apart like Exynos 990 vs Snapdragon 865+

Soldato
So there is a battery comparison on the S22 Ultra Exynos 2200 vs Snapdragon 8 Gen1 with interesting results.
If the Exynos 2200 standby battery usage can be optimized further then these two variations of S22 Ultra could be comparable.

I think it could be an app optimisation issue. From the stats Tiktok, Youtube and Instagram were draining the most battery. I noticed TikTok was draining my battery too, I've since put it into deep sleep when in the background and has fixed the issue.

owFHZFf.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So that Anker Powerline III USB C cable was out for delivery today.... Just noticed it was C on one end and Lightning on the other end. Doh!

Cancelled and re-ordered the correct one. Delivery driver will be furious :D

Associate
Did anyone else's trade-in pack only contain a pre-printed envelope for 48 hour delivery? I want to send my trade-in RMSD but am unsure if I can just handwrite the same address as the 48 hour delivery label (or does it need a particular barcode?). Tried talking to Samsung support but they appear to be off their heads on something and can't answer the question (I wish I was joking).

Soldato
Did anyone else's trade-in pack only contain a pre-printed envelope for 48 hour delivery? I want to send my trade-in RMSD but am unsure if I can just handwrite the same address as the 48 hour delivery label (or does it need a particular barcode?). Tried talking to Samsung support but they appear to be off their heads on something and can't answer the question (I wish I was joking).

When I got my watch 4 they sent a sticker to trade in my watch 3 but advised to pay for delivery you may as well ask a clairvoyant then ask Samsung support anything , maybe they don't send therm now to save on paper :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
When did they take payment?

When I placed the order on the 23rd

In other news fitted the EGV 3 Packs Flexible Screen Protector and Spigen Thin Fit Case. Very pleased with both, the screen protectors were probably the easiest to fit and best experience I've had putting one on a phone. Case it very similar to the thin fit I had on my S21 Ultra, looks and feels very nice indeed.

Associate
When I got my watch 4 they sent a sticker to trade in my watch 3 but advised to pay for delivery you may as well ask a clairvoyant then ask Samsung support anything , maybe they don't send therm now to save on paper :rolleyes:

Yeah it took me 90 mins of baffling conversation to learn that lesson :\

I took my trade in s21 ultra with the 48 hour label into post office on Friday and then they out special deliverry dticker over top.

That's a good idea - I'll try that, thanks :)

Soldato
In other news fitted the EGV 3 Packs Flexible Screen Protector and Spigen Thin Fit Case. Very pleased with both, the screen protectors were probably the easiest to fit and best experience I've had putting one on a phone. Case it very similar to the thin fit I had on my S21 Ultra, looks and feels very nice indeed.

That's good to hear, as I've gone for exactly the same screen protectors and case, just got to wait for the phone to arrive. How does the screen protector feel compared to glass? And S-pen feels good?

Soldato
In other news fitted the EGV 3 Packs Flexible Screen Protector and Spigen Thin Fit Case. Very pleased with both, the screen protectors were probably the easiest to fit and best experience I've had putting one on a phone.

I was very impressed with them too. The installation tool is excellent and my install is near perfect. Only negative is the protectors fit slightly small and there is a small gap top and bottom.

Soldato
I was very impressed with them too. The installation tool is excellent and my install is near perfect. Only negative is the protectors fit slightly small and there is a small gap top and bottom.

I used Amfilm which is same installation got bit of dust in top corner but really hard to spot will swap when and if gets marked

Back
Top Bottom