**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Thread ****

Soldato
Well my phone has just been at the SBE Samsung repair centre and my tracking has updated saying it's been with an engineer. Then there's a ticked box that says 'Repair Outcome', then another ticked box that says 'Despatched'.
So it's now on it's way back to my EE shop.

There's nothing to say if they actually repaired it, (i.e. was it covered under warranty) so I don't know if it's being returned with the old screen or a new one. I rang them but they're closed on weekends.

I'm guessing that instead of returning it straightaway, they would have held onto the phone and asked me if I wanted to pay for a new screen if it wasn't covered under warrant, rather than returning to EE, then sending back again to Samsung. So safe to assume they must have actually done the repair for free?

Soldato
Yeah can't imagine they would send it back not repaired without any communication.

Exactly. I just called EE on 150 and spoke to someone that said he's not come across a time when a phone has been returned without Samsung first contacting the customer and giving them the option to pay for a repair if it wasn't covered. So he's pretty confident they should have replaced the screen already. And he texted me his EE email so he can help me further if for any reason it does come back with the old screen.

Oh also, the EE shop said they would credit me back money for the time I've been without the phone. That was because I went back to the shop on the 18th to complain that my tracking was still showing the phone hadn't even been sent off to Samsung a week after I'd given it to them on the 11th. It pays to complain.

Last edited:
Soldato
I will indeed. Got it back today, new screen, but also a bonus new battery! :D And they replaced some other bits that I didn't even know were faulty. Basically gave it a complete service. Considering I'm going sim only and continuing to use the S7 Edge, timing couldn't be better to get it refurbished and for free. I'm glad this fault didn't happen after 31st March, would have been out of warranty! I bought a new cheap book case for it, I melted the old one. Guy in the EE shop reckons this blue is the nicest colour phone Samsung made. I'd have to agree. :)

20190327-203342.jpg

Repair.jpg

Soldato
Unbelievable. Almost two years of scratch free screen, then get a replacement less than 2 months ago and now it's cracked. :(

I don't even know how. I've had a few minor drops but nothing I can think of that had enough impact to cause any damage.

20190518-155440.jpg

Soldato
Based on the impact it looks like something was dropped onto it, rather than the phone dropped. Easy enough to repair the screens though, you can get a kit on Amazon that includes the tools necessary for <£20

Soldato
Lot of local places will probably repair this very cheaply at this point, being an old model.

Mine also came back from an insurance repair few weeks ago, absolutely everything new on the outside, new loudspeaker, FP sensor and most importantly battery. New lease of life for this thing, if Samsung provided Pie like on Note FE (Note 7 re-release), I'd probably keep it for another year as installing gcam took photo quality up a notch too.

As it stands really itching for an upgrade but to Samsung's credit they are still good with security updates, received the May one yesterday.

Soldato
Based on the impact it looks like something was dropped onto it, rather than the phone dropped. Easy enough to repair the screens though, you can get a kit on Amazon that includes the tools necessary for <£20

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, that something dropped onto it.

The screen can be repaired and the cracks removed? I didn't think that was possible and that it would need replacing at like £180 or something silly. Can you link me to the kit I'd need?

Soldato
Lot of local places will probably repair this very cheaply at this point, being an old model.

Mine also came back from an insurance repair few weeks ago, absolutely everything new on the outside, new loudspeaker, FP sensor and most importantly battery. New lease of life for this thing, if Samsung provided Pie like on Note FE (Note 7 re-release), I'd probably keep it for another year as installing gcam took photo quality up a notch too.

As it stands really itching for an upgrade but to Samsung's credit they are still good with security updates, received the May one yesterday.

Hmm, good to know it can be repaired cheaply. What sort of places, do you mean those little high street shops that say they repair phones? I've never known if they're trustworthy or not to do a good job.

Soldato
Looks like it's just the glass part over the top that is damaged rather than the screen itself so should be cheap enough to do, as above replacement sets are under £20 online if you fancy a stab yourself.

Can't imagine any semi decent local repair place can mess it up. Unless of course you have insurance, my excess was only £25 through Nationwide.

Soldato
If it is just the glass over the screen, I guess it's a case of rubber suckers to pull it off. Looks like the actual impact was above the top right of the home button as that's where the splintering looks most concentrated and then I suppose that caused the rest of the glass to crack.

Soldato
Looks like it's just the glass part over the top that is damaged rather than the screen itself so should be cheap enough to do, as above replacement sets are under £20 online if you fancy a stab yourself.

Can't imagine any semi decent local repair place can mess it up. Unless of course you have insurance, my excess was only £25 through Nationwide.

I rang 4 phone repair shops in my area. All clueless. None of them even knew about the glass part, all they told me was that they would have to replace the whole screen.

I've had a look on youtube about how to repair it but it's somewhat intimidating. Looks like it could be easy to do more damage to the phone. They're either using heatguns or freezing the glass off with expensive commercial freezers. I also can't find a replacement glass that has the same metallic blue at the top and bottom as mine. So I'm currently kind of left not knowing what to do. I'm wondering if I should get a screen protector to slow down the glass cracking further.

Associate
Just because you can buy a part did not mean it's easy to fit. The glass is bonded to the screen and removal of glass only is not easy ( it can be done but very tricky). The quickest way is whole new display.... Hence the high cost.

The phone repair shops are not clueless.... They will know this.

Soldato
Just because you can buy a part did not mean it's easy to fit. The glass is bonded to the screen and removal of glass only is not easy ( it can be done but very tricky). The quickest way is whole new display.... Hence the high cost.

The phone repair shops are not clueless.... They will know this.

Yes agreed, it's the quickest and easiest way. I don't really agree that all the shops would know about the glass only repair, but it's understandable they won't do it as it's certainly difficult and risky.

Only one out of four shops I spoke to said they used to do it but not anymore, and even then it took several minutes before he understood what I was asking for. Another shop said he could do it and he would only need the phone for 5 minutes until I realised he thought I wanted a screen protector.

Anyway, I'd be too worried about slicing through cables or overheating the fragile screen to try it myself. I wish I could find someone that's seen some YouTube repair videos and has succesfully done it before that could do it for me. Mind you, I think it would be hard enough getting hold of a glass with the blue borders to match my phone.

Yes, I think without the expertise the only way is to replace the screen. I'll have to live with it. I've got my S6 to fall back on if this one gets much worse.

I could revise my pay monthly contract and get a newer phone, but I only just changed to sim only to save money.

Soldato
Does sound unfortunate, what are the screen replacement quotes? I know that official places charge a fortune for it to a point where you may as well get a new phone, i.e. official Samsung repair is at £189 but that does also include a new battery (which you don't need).

Have to say, I myself have a bit less excuse to upgrade now that I have a new battery and back to around 6 hours SoT. Phone also looks new with literally everything on the outside replaced but my dad actually asked me yesterday what I'm doing with it as his phone is now switching off randomly on a daily basis.

Associate
Hi guys, would love some opinions on going from nuguart to oreo ie speed and mainly battery usage, as I'd hate the latter to get any worse.
I have a refurbished S7 edge so will be using odin for the update as can't get ota to show
I'm hoping for some positive responses because just checked and I'm still on Jan 18 security. Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom