**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Thread ****

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Problem is rom flashing means losing the drm keys fr camera processing and other stuff like google safetynet for android pay and other banking apps etc.

Associate
The Pi update breaks Call Recorder. According to Killer Mobile they have deliberately disabled call recording. I wish I'd known that before upgrading my S9, I wouldn't have done the upgrade.

The Pi update breaks Call Recorder. According to Killer Mobile they have deliberately disabled call recording. I wish I'd known that before upgrading my S9, I wouldn't have done the upgrade.

You can roll back using Odin and download the firmware from samfirmware. This is the S7 thread, not S9 though!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
But more to the point, this will affect every Pie phone as call recording being denied permission is dictated by Google, not Samsung. So you may as well get used to it as you can't stay pre-Pie forever.

Soldato
Why would they continue with developing major OS upgrades on a phone over 3 years old when no other Android OEM does?
The S7/S7e are not even 3 years old yet as they were released in March 2016
Plus android Pie was officially released on August 6 2018 so the S7 & S7E were only about 2 years 5 months old

Plus it looks like the first google pixel phone that was released in 2016 has got the PIE update

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know why people are complaining. You knew what the deal was. If you want is.updstes.on.a e year old phone, then you should have bought the pixel instead.
Many S7 & S7e edges are not even 2 years old yet as the S8 didn't even get released till 28th April 2017

SO you think mobile phones that are less then 2 years old are old phones and should not get these major updates :eek:

Soldato
Many S7 & S7e edges are not even 2 years old yet as the S8 didn't even get released till 28th April 2017

SO you think mobile phones that are less then 2 years old are old phones and should not get these major updates :eek:

Major is debatable and no, I don't. Where do you draw the line? You can still buy an s7 now, that doesn't mean samsung should offer two years of os updates from today. I think two years of os updates from release is plenty. Anything more is a bonus.

Soldato
Nearly melted my S7 Edge yesterday. Normally extremely careful where I put my phone down, but I put it down without looking properly, it was on my hob. Smelt burning behind me and reacted quickly. Fortunately it was in its case and hadn't gotten to the phone. Strangely I had been thinking of replacing the case only a couple of hours earlier. Was a decent enough case, only a tenner but lasted 2 years.

20190212-161842.jpg

As it happens, my screen has developed burn in, I'm seeing a permanent ghost image of icons. I went to EE yesterday, they're going to send it to Samsung for repair as my 2 year warranty doesn't expire till March 23rd, so timing is fortunate.

Also, my contract renewal is up and I'm going sim only. I've been paying £37pm for unlimited calls and texts and 15gb data. Apparently I've averaged 5Gb a month usage so I'm going down to a 10Gb unlimited calls and texts tariff, will only cost £14pm. Great saving of over £20 pm.

Caporegime
OP
Nearly melted my S7 Edge yesterday. Normally extremely careful where I put my phone down, but I put it down without looking properly, it was on my hob. Smelt burning behind me and reacted quickly. Fortunately it was in its case and hadn't gotten to the phone. Strangely I had been thinking of replacing the case only a couple of hours earlier. Was a decent enough case, only a tenner but lasted 2 years.

20190212-161842.jpg

As it happens, my screen has developed burn in, I'm seeing a permanent ghost image of icons. I went to EE yesterday, they're going to send it to Samsung for repair as my 2 year warranty doesn't expire till March 23rd, so timing is fortunate.

Also, my contract renewal is up and I'm going sim only. I've been paying £37pm for unlimited calls and texts and 15gb data. Apparently I've averaged 5Gb a month usage so I'm going down to a 10Gb unlimited calls and texts tariff, will only cost £14pm. Great saving of over £20 pm.

Lucky escape then! My S7 is still going strong and will be two years old in May. No burn in that I've noticed and I'm struggling to think of any reason to change or upgrade it TBH.

Soldato
Lucky escape then! My S7 is still going strong and will be two years old in May. No burn in that I've noticed and I'm struggling to think of any reason to change or upgrade it TBH.

Yep, very lucky escape. :) You might as well do the same as me then and go sim only if you're not considering changing the phone, you'll save quite a bit of money each month.

Caporegime
OP
Yep, very lucky escape. :) You might as well do the same as me then and go sim only if you're not considering changing the phone, you'll save quite a bit of money each month.
I'm with Sky on 'swap 12' so after 12 months the price went down anyway and next month is my final payment overall. Then it'll be £7.50pm for unlimited calls and texts and 8GB Data. Not bad!

Soldato
Well, very poor battery life wasn't just in my head as Accubattery reports 46% battery health with a capacity of barely over 1600 mAh.

Worst of all, while taking the case off to get my emergency fiver out of it, noticed a very slight but definite bulge on the back of the phone so definitely going the way of the dodo now.

Looks like an emergency upgrade this week as I've just talked myself out of upgrading to S10 and wanted to wait for a bezel free Note 10 with a fingerprint scanner in the screen.

Soldato
Hey guys, I used smartswitch to transfer everything from my S7 Edge to my S6. Well, except it won't transfer my call logs.

Anyway, I formatted my S7 edge and it's now in the hands of EE who are sending it to Samsung to replace the screen under warranty, which runs out on the 23rd. It has screen burn, where I can see ghost icons against white backgrounds. The bloke in EE reckons it's from overheating. I must admit the back of it has gotten very hot before when using the sat nav because my phone holder is fixed to my left on the car air vent.

He said when they open it up they can tell and they may not honour the warranty. Do you think it's likely they won't replace it because of overheating? It's not the end of the world as it's reasonably faint, but it would be nice to have a new screen while the warranty is there.

Soldato
Doesn't particularly sound like your fault and I doubt they could prove you're responsible for overheating anyway.

I did take mine to a Samsung store today as I walk past one to show the bulge but I'm the second owner and it's out of warranty now so they didn't want to know.

Last bit is fair but guess need to be careful buying second hand Samsung phones in the future. One area where Apple have always been better, as long as serial shows it's under warranty it's all quibble free to have it repaired.

Soldato
Yeah neoboy, I agree, if they see that it's overheated, I will plead not guilty and they will hopefully honour the warranty.

By the way, I've just today changed to a 1 year sim only contract at £14 pm as I intend to keep using the S7. So that's going to save me about £23 a month.

Back
Top Bottom