**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
Anyone having issues with What'sApp notifications?
I've turned off vibrate for all What'sApp message notifications in the app, but it still vibrates...any tips? I just want the messages to be silent, but everything else to be as normal. Even though the vibrate is shown as off for those messages, it still vibrates.

Threads on various other fora don't resolve the actual issue, just suggesting changing the application or turning the phone to silent or muting the app itself, which really doesn't resolve the issue properly as then everything is muted.

Caporegime
Thats been a problem in the past. Normally a wipe sorts that. You can turn it off though

I always end up turning it off due to how much it rapes my battery but I would like to be able to keep it on.....

When android pie releases, I'll do a wipe of the phone in the hope it solves the issue but still, shouldn't need to :/

Soldato
anyone got the latest security update yet? they were really quick with the last one but haven't seen Sept yet and we are in Oct now
Been waiting on it for ages now (Sept update) on 3. The Sept update as those dumb Animojis and the 960fps recording mode so maybe this has delayed things.

I'm really desperate as battery life tumbled hugely with the August update and it has been widely noticed.

Soldato
My S8 has REALLY slowed down over the last week or two, it's turned into a laggy frustrating mess suddenly. it also seems to be running hotter than before.

Guess it's about the right time to annoy everyone so they want to upgrade when the next one comes out...

Soldato
Mine has been a tad flaky...having purchased it in April 2018 it was fine until the August update arrived and then I had much lower battery life.

To make matters worse, literally hours after September update that arrived a few days ago SwiftKey started consuming my battery by the bucketload. I went to bed with 90% and woke up with 22%. No idea what was going on so I uninstalled SwiftKey and tried Gboard - lasted about 4hrs before returning to the latest build of SK and all has been well so far. I've had no lag/performance issues though.

Soldato
I've had a few issues with the iris recognition after the latest update.
A couple of times it's effectively given up, saying it cannot get a read even though I'm tapping to tell it to try again.
Could be that I was just sleepy and it was getting a bad read anyway - I'll keep an eye on that one.

Soldato
I have been tasked with finding a phone for the mother-in-law, only remit is preferably Samsung as that's what she is used to and around £25 per month. I had initially settled on the A7 however I see the S8 is now around the same price with Black Friday. I haven't used Samsung myself since the S6 Edge+, I just can't get on with the ecosystem so I'm wondering is the considerably older S8 still better than the newly released A7? Any thoughts?

Man of Honour
The S8 is still a flagship by today's standards and the performance, camera, battery life etc are all strong to compete with. The A7 isn't a flagship device and will never compete with th S8, so of you can find an S8 with a good deal, then definitely go for that.

The UX has come a long way since the S6. S8 and S9 currently share the same interface and Samsung experience fundamentals to the point it's hard to tell one from the other.

Back
Top Bottom