**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Associate
Weird, did you buy a grey import maybe? (Amazon Italy for example). It maybe also possible that they installed a refurb board which was originally from Italy, might be worth taking it up with them?

If you dont want to faff, then just download this: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s8/SM-G955F/BTU/ and install using odin.

I bought it from unshackled.com which is formerly Phones4U - does that count? It was sold as a factory unlocked UK S8...

Called Samsung, they said it's an Italian S8 originally locked to Vodafone. I guess that entitles me to return or replace it with the Vendor surely under mis-selling of goods?

Soldato
I bought it from unshackled.com which is formerly Phones4U - does that count? It was sold as a factory unlocked UK S8...

Called Samsung, they said it's an Italian S8 originally locked to Vodafone. I guess that entitles me to return or replace it with the Vendor surely under mis-selling of goods?

Possibly, but it had a BTU image on delivery so either Samsung have it wrong or it was reined before it got delivered.

Id just put a new image on it and leave it as it's the same phone, Samsung still fixed it.

Associate
No, not yet anyway.....

You can't install the google phone app from the play store so you'll need to download and install a version from xda.

Thought I'd have a look at the Google phone app the other night. I think I found the latest one that would work with S8. Wasn't that good really as local search wouldn't work and don't think the anti spam/caller id (such as it is) doesn't seem to work either. This was version 7 as I tried version 8 but wouldn't install. Other newer versions wouldn't install either. Gone back Samsung one.

Caporegime
Thought I'd have a look at the Google phone app the other night. I think I found the latest one that would work with S8. Wasn't that good really as local search wouldn't work and don't think the anti spam/caller id (such as it is) doesn't seem to work either. This was version 7 as I tried version 8 but wouldn't install. Other newer versions wouldn't install either. Gone back Samsung one.

Ta for being the guinea pig :D :p

Will just stick with samsung phone app, cba with the faffing about.

Associate
Ta for being the guinea pig :D :p

Will just stick with samsung phone app, cba with the faffing about.

Yes, not worth it. If the features on latest version on pixel worked then maybe. The Samsung version has 'Places' that works quite well as does anti spam calls feature - well a little with the latter.

Soldato
I havent but funnily enough somebody was having that same issue in the pixel 2 thread. I think It must be something to do with the lens setup in the camera? Not a defect from what i understand, just annoying?

edit:

here you go: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31386418

and https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31386709

FishLicker said:
Forget my complaints about the camera - I managed to replicate the issue on both my S7 Edge and my girlfriends S7. My mate showed me the same sort of artefacts from a Note 8 and iPhone X as well....

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone ever noticed anything like this when recording videos? I've only just noticed it on a recording whilst at the match today, strange line of dots on the screen? Down near the bottom

Yeh I had same issue when I was at the O2 a few weeks back, when bright spot lights came on it left a ghost like reflection at the bottom. Only happened when recording videos.

imagedots.jpg

Back
Top Bottom