The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Permabanned
Dusk take-off from Edinburgh NGX style :D
45492453.jpg

56756006.jpg

46914907.jpg

11227315.jpg

74733227.jpg

51838205.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Do many of you guys fly in X-Plane 10 at all? Pretty much everything I see on here is mostly revolved around FSX, just wondering if I'm the only one who does X-plane haha.

Permabanned
The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers

clue is in the title lol...but yeah some do use Xplane too...trouble is most of us have spent a lot of cash on addons for FSX so we're kinda committed to it

Soldato
I could see that in the title :p. But as it was the only thread really dedicated to flight simming over all, just wondering if many people here had invested in X plane much.

Soldato
Some great shots everybody!

Out of interest, with Haswell now released is anybody thinking of getting it? I'm still on the fence about it and would be coming from an i7 920 @4.2GHz and would primarily be upgrading for FSX performance!

Soldato
I saw a post on some other flight sim forums recently about Haswell being rubbish for overclocking and won't offer much benefit over a 2500/2700k. I can't find the link now but I'd say a Sandy/Ivy will be good for a long time yet.

Soldato
Stevie, great photos and weather. Looks like you had a great day out.

As for Haswell, I think long term, it may offer 'more', but where is it you want to get performance out of FSX?

E.g tweaking is your friend as well has having multiple configs to get the best out of certain flight situations.

Associate
Seeing as we're currently on CPUs, i've decided to retire my phenom II quad prematurely. I was planning to hold out for steamroller but I got a good deal for a fx8350. I recently went from a hd5770 to a hd7850 on the graphics front which gained minimal performance improvements to fsx. Anyone reckon the fx8350 might give me a boost in the fps at all?

Permabanned
FSX is all about tweaking to suit your system

You could throw a NASA supercomputer at it and you'd still get 3 fps on some airports with ai traffic

Underneath all the DX9 eye candy its basically a 3D sim engine created in 1998, Microsoft only ever "tarted up" the MS Flight Sim engine with each new release, it wasn't until MS Flight that they actually bothered to develop a new engine and code...and that had all the advanced sim functions disabled and we saw how that story ended.

I remember reading an interview with one of the FSX developers who said that FSX had been designed to run on a 7GHz dual core cpu, this was before the quad core cpu revolution started and all the developers thought it would just be dual core cpus but get faster and faster.

Soldato
FSX is all about tweaking to suit your system
<snip/>

▲ What he said..

You can't chase FPS in FSX. You have to make compromises. thingemajibm tell us what FPS you're currently getting and where you want to see improvements.

Do you use full A.I traffic sliders? Do you set your water details up to max? Are all your CPUs being utilised? Do you run multiple progs at once e.g a web browser?

The faster the raw Ghz of the processer, the better FSX FPS will be BUT you have to tweak your system to get the best out of it.

I'm happy when I can just about scrape 20 FPS.

Associate
I don't have EZDok but I do have a TrackIR and for me the most important key setup is to have easy access to center and off/on for the TrackIR. I really struggle to operate the virtual cockpit switches with TrackIR enabled but it's invaluable for a quick look around and for situational awareness during a circuit/finals. Being able to easily enable/disable it is thus important to me. The center feature means I don't have to have a large null zone and keep my head in the same place all time.

Associate
Ok,

After a bit of setting up (clip onto headphones,cables,d/loading software) I loaded the default profile without EZ dock initially. I'm very impressed with the ability to look around the virtual cockpit without having to press any buttons at all. I sit up and look over the engine cowling, I look left/right to check flaps, I look down to view flight instruments etc. I then did a search for some FSX profiles and after the forth one found a profile that suits me and the way I'm seated in front of my monitor.

With EZ dock I found that I didn't need so many camera angles. What I did do though is set up a camera half way along the underside of the wing looking forward. By doing this and enabling the TIR button in EZ dock for this view I can look around and get myself lined up for finals. I set up one more external camera on top of the tail/rudder again looking forward and I can see a wide angle view ahead.

The ability to keep the horizon flat during turns is nice when I tilt my head, also moving my head in and out to the screen gives a zoom effect.

So far so good. Gonna have another play now.

Back
Top Bottom