The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Soldato
I have a 2500k and an HD7850 both at stock settings and I can run FSX at maximum graphics settings with REX HD weather textures. Virtually no visible drop in frame rate except in areas of extreme traffic (I also have about 50 AI files installed so the skies are rammed).

Awesome :) I've been playing FSX on my HP laptop for a few years and although it does run it surprisingly well, I'm hoping for a big step-up :)

Associate
Another with a new PC here, going to reinstall this today! I've always kept an eye on the thread since I used to fly so will be good getting up to date with some new addons! No doubt will now spend the next few months fiddling with it til I actually do a flight :D

Associate
Also, whats the install size of FSX? I have a 120Gb SSD which'll have Windows 8 on so hopefully a good amount of space left over

Can't quite remember how much space FSX itself requires (guess is 8-10GB) but you can eat tons of space with add-ons. Photo-scenery is easily the worst but my Orbx install now takes some 50GB. Thankfully you can usually put add on scenery on separate drive and if you're confident enough to edit the scenery.cfg file can be moved easily when one disc is full and a new one added.

Soldato
avsim | Phenom 100 said:
"I asked Soya to make some of his outstanding screenshots for your perusal"... :cool:

http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/reviews/aircraft/phenom-100-r1377

It looks good, but I can't not have a decent FMS/C to fly aircraft like this.. But I've never really used EFB to feed routes dynamically into the GPS unit. It kept on changing my FlightPlan when I was logged onto Vatsim.

I may be around later for flying, but if the weather stays like this, I may be outside enjoying it.

Associate
OP
Took them long enough to publish that review, I remember doing the screen shot work for it well over 2 years ago. In fact, I completely forgot about it, better late then never I guess :).

Associate
What do you guys use for AI Traffic? I tried a free one called GAIT but it completely destroyed my FPS at busy airports down to 15. Only just getting the smooth locked 30 as it is at the moment so what's the best one performance wise?

Permabanned
What do you guys use for AI Traffic? I tried a free one called GAIT but it completely destroyed my FPS at busy airports down to 15. Only just getting the smooth locked 30 as it is at the moment so what's the best one performance wise?

If you want to spends some cash; I have tried several AI packages and found this one to be the best (quality of models and FPS impact)

http://secure.simmarket.com/mytraffic-x-professional-5.4-b.phtml

Associate
Cheers guys I'll have a think. TBH, I'm not really up for adding schedules manually, the package is tempting.

Almost ready to get flying! All previous purchases installed, sorted performance issues by unticking 'Light Bloom' - seems like zero difference visually but it's incredibly smooth everywhere at locked 30fps now :) Hours and hours of fiddling with tweaks etc and I forget to untick a box...

Associate
The only thing that was bugging me was the screen tearing. I looked into trying to stop it and came up with this.....

I run a 120htz monitor and my V-synch was set to 1/2 refresh rate in NVidia settings. While i'm trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my comp for this game I set the fps to locked at 30fps.

So, a 120htz monitor at 1/2 refresh rate is 60fps. Simple maths...lol.

I went back into Nvidia settings and set V-synch to 1/4 refresh rate and BOOOM!! No tearing.

Do the math. I can now have my monitor at 120htz smoothness and maintain 30fps.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys I'll have a think. TBH, I'm not really up for adding schedules manually, the package is tempting.

Almost ready to get flying! All previous purchases installed, sorted performance issues by unticking 'Light Bloom' - seems like zero difference visually but it's incredibly smooth everywhere at locked 30fps now :) Hours and hours of fiddling with tweaks etc and I forget to untick a box...

Yup, the FSX Bloom is like having a 800lbs gorilla thrashing inside your CPU while you are trying to maintain smooth flight. In DX9 it creates a bloom on all reflecting surfaces (aircraft, buildings and any shiny lights of which there are lots esp near airports), it looks nice to capture screen shots but while flying, it not really necessary and unless you run a NASA build room sided PC, you are unlikely to get smooth frames. However, it must be noted, after my own experiences, that having FSX bloom on during DX10 mode will produce a very marginal drop in FPS and the bloom in DX10 is pretty nice especially on well modeled aircraft with high quality liveries (like most of McPhats & Captain Sims works). But in general DX9 flying, keep that tick off.

Associate
I went back into Nvidia settings and set V-synch to 1/4 refresh rate and BOOOM!! No tearing.

Do the math. I can now have my monitor at 120htz smoothness and maintain 30fps.

Yip I have the same settings with my 120Htz. I get 30fps 95% of the time!

Blue - I'm about Friday so it should be good.

Also did my first flying lesson today - Absolutely loved it. Some photos to follow soon....

Back
Top Bottom