** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

JRS

JRS

Soldato
There's a Youtube channel called Exploring The Unbeaten Path, and their latest video has something fascinating for those of us interested in the Soviet/Russian side of space history. Getting into - read: breaking into :eek: - a hangar at the Baikonur Cosmodrome, where two shuttle orbiters from the Buran programme reside.

One of the orbiters is OK-1K2 or 'Ptichka' - the second flight-spec shuttle built in the Buran programme, it was about 95-97% complete when the programme was officially canned in '93. The other is probably OK-4M, an engineering mock-up built for testing things like mating orbiters to the Energia launch vehicle. I'd seen photos from inside this hangar a while back, but it's even more fascinating as a video.

Man of Honour
OP
RS-25 Rocket Engine Fires Up Again:

Engineers conduct the third in a series of RS-25 flight controller tests on July 25, 2017, for NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS) rocket. The more than 8 1/2 minute test on the A-1 Test Stand at NASA’s Stennis Space Center in Mississippi signaled another step toward launch of NASA’s new Space Launch System (SLS). The SLS rocket, powered by four RS-25 engines, along with the Orion spacecraft will take astronauts on a new era of exploration beyond Earth’s orbit into deep space.

Assembly of the Soyuz-FG rocket at Baikonur cosmodrome:

The main unit with the Soyuz MS-05 spacecraft was docked to the third stage of the launch vehicle.

NASA astronaut Randy Bresnik, Sergey Ryazanskiy of Roscosmos and Paolo Nespoli of ESA (European Space Agency) will launch at 16:41 BST (11:41 EDT) on July 28.

Live coverage will be on NASA TV,

Man of Honour
Do you have an opinion on this Cosimo, or are you an official RSS feed?
hes been the official rss feed of several threads for a long time :p

heads up crs12 spacex launch at 17:31 our time, 80% chance of favourable weather. Stream usually starts about 20mins before hand.
about time it seems ages since a spacex launch, and another daytime landing, hopefully we will see that flip again.

Soldato
Well I watched all the preflight briefings, watched the clock all day, got distracted and totally missed the launch.

It's going to be a while before that first stage landing gets old though.

Bring on falcon 9 heavy!

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Watched the launch and landing from Cocoa Beach today. Fantastic! You could feel the sonic boom when it landed!

Man of Honour
Watched the launch and landing from Cocoa Beach today. Fantastic! You could feel the sonic boom when it landed!
Oh man I would love to see a launch live.
Wasn't any when I was over their the other year.

And yeah Falcon heavy can you imagine seeing two land at near enough the same time.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Oh man I would love to see a launch live.
Wasn't any when I was over their the other year.

And yeah Falcon heavy can you imagine seeing two land at near enough the same time.

If there is a launch the next time we come we will definitely try to get tickets to see it from Kennedy, or maybe even the 3 mile seats.

Back
Top Bottom