** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

He's quite the dreamer on this topic. I have to say technologically we seem to be reaping the benefits of that dream. Increased usability and large decreases in cost of mass to orbit will keep making space a more accessible place for us.

Very exciting times if he manages to hit those timelines. However we've seen in the past that his timelines can be a bit optimistic at best. I guess the upcoming IFT's will be the judge of that. We're still to see in orbit refueling attempt. 2 years isn't a lot of time. Especially when you have the red tape they are having to wade through.

I guess you have to set goals for things to happen.

Last edited:
i reck 2years for an uncrewed flight is fine. theres enough time to work out fuel payloads, transfer orbits, future fuel reuply options.
but i think closer to 4years for a crewed flight after is a better estimate.
im not sure if he has volanteers lined up yet or not. but there has to be enough food / water oxeygen as a just in case. with medical supplies also for at least 1 year. for every member of the team.
with enough spare equipment as well. mars transfer orbits are not frequent so people could find them selfs in very difficualt situations.
there there pig suspended animation which might help to save people
infrastructure needs to get there, for sort term. those people going will be dying there and possibly recycled as well in to the eco system.
im really interested to see how this goes and how self sustaining Mars will be. good stopping point, and jump of to the outer belt.

@steve45 i think some of that red tape will be NASA needs to do it first, mentallity. i hope they take a multinational crew tbh, to make more a statement no one country.

Last edited:
If it was sticking payloads into orbit, or at least a mass simulator, then two years would probably be a fair assumption. But two years (Feb 2027) for an uncrewed mission to Mars seems a bit of a stretch given what they still need to achieve and imo, i would argue four years (March 2029) would still be a bit optimistic for it.

Elontime puts it six years for an uncrewed mission to Mars and 13 years for a crewed mission; this sounds a bit more reasonable :cry:

I guess refuelling in space, propellant boil off and long term power supplies are the main impediments to a Mars landing attempt. All of which to a lesser attempt are going to be required for Artemis so maybe 2027 departure not so fanciful. I'm assuming that they'll have to send some satellites to relay telemetry back during the automated descent unless any of the current orbiters are suitable. MarsLink?

i probably should have said. 2years is fine to attempt an unmaned mission to mars. Elon is all about failure. he didnt say he would succed, just try.
use the test mission as a dual purpose to deliver supplies

Last edited:
i probably should have said. 2years is fine to attempt an unmaned mission to mars. Elon is all about failure. he didnt say he would succed, just try.
use the test mission as a dual purpose to deliver supplies

At the current rate of flights and testing, I severely doubt anything will be ready for Mars in two years - starship hasn’t achieved a stable orbit yet, demonstrated fuel transfer and refuelling is even possible and that they can do it the 20 ish times that be required to fill it up without any incident (orbital rendezvous is very difficult) or that it can re-enter the atmosphere and land, especially on Mars which has a VERY different atmosphere to Earth.

Given there’s a transfer window only every two years, I wouldn’t expect any person to volunteer themselves to take a Starship to Mars in the next decade, at least not without accepting they’re not coming home…

Last edited:
One advantage of stainless steel over carbon fibre or similar composites is you can weld it. So either in space, on the Moon or Mars you could potentially reconfigure the fuel tanks of Starship with premade doors and caps to turn them into pressure tight vessels. I personally can see the first moon base being a semi submerged Staship(s) that has landed in a pre-prepared trench/pit and then back filled.

Lava tubes is what they are looking at in first instance, and makes sence.
i could see the starship being the interface between the surface and the tubes (almost an airlock). allows for some natural growth, and exploration of the moon using the tunnel network.
imagine playing hide and seek down there :D

Within the Rock

(if you wathced this one and remember it)

will have to see if Musk put's himself into similiar precarious situations as this Jared Isaacman guy,
I'm surprised they call him commander does he have technical skills (better than stockton rush), equally other participant are not private ticket buyers like I'd thought

Back
Top Bottom