***The Official Starfield Thread*** (As endorsed by TNA)

Man of Honour
In fairness, I don't think anyone has done Build Your Own Spaceship before? OK, KSP has, but that's a lot more hardcore. But I don't buy Beth games for originality, and it does seem an odd win.

Last edited:
Associate
never played this and looking at a few vids and reviews, is it worth getting at £42 on steam ?
I'd say that if the game clicks with you it's absolutely worth it given the enormous amount of content on offer - but it's proven quite divisive so if you're gonna buy it, get it from somewhere you can get a refund (just Steam I guess?).

Getting a month of Game Pass as @humbug suggested isn't a bad idea.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I'd be much more inclined to try it on GamePass.

I've made it to the end now and I think it's OK, but I didn't get a lot of what I was expecting. I'd really struggle to recommend someone spend £20 on it if they were unsure - not because it's terrible, but because I feel like there are better alternatives out there for each of the things it's trying to do. So enjoying it would depend on all of those different elements clicking for you.

Man of Honour
So two big bugs, one annoying and one not:

1) The annoying one was that I got both "everyone attacks you" bugs in Operation Starseed. I waited out the first first in 48 UT hours, but the second took lots more work. Tried everything the internet had to offer, and after about five tricks, it worked.

2) The more amusing one was a variant on the "one of our staff has gone AWOL" quests. Arrived at a colony site and spoke to the boss. She told me that one colonist has packed it in, and could I get them back. Agreed, turned and walked away and looked for the quest marker. It was behind me, over the boss. Spoke to her, and yes, she was AWOL. Still at the site. Paid her to return, closed the conversation. The quest marker is still over her, but now the conversation is: thanks for returning my missing worker. Weird.

Got a character to level 60 in NG+, but the grind was really slow by now. The only realistic way is the classic: find a planet at your level or higher that has a temperate climate, and kill all the local wildlife. Effective, but dull. So I started character number ten (I think - it's about that). With all RPGs it's the very early stages of the game I like best. In the case of Starfield, it's getting to the point where I can steal a spaceship and have enough money to pimp it out a bit (meaning at least 40k gold). Level 7 in this game.

Soldato
Crafting is honestly by far the quickest way to level up. Once you have it making some basic components you can churn the stuff out to hit level 100 pretty rapidly.

Soldato
cheers, i have stuck it in my wishlist in the hope it will go one sale soon

The only thing Starfield does well is market itself and give an illusion it's something it's not, don't get trapped by it.

The game is in every way mediocre.

Up until Starfield I loved Bethesda RPGs Skyrim and particularly the Fallout series.

All the needed to do was make Fallout in space and they couldn't even manage that.

Associate
So two big bugs, one annoying and one not:

1) The annoying one was that I got both "everyone attacks you" bugs in Operation Starseed. I waited out the first first in 48 UT hours, but the second took lots more work. Tried everything the internet had to offer, and after about five tricks, it worked.

One common 'trick' to reset NPCs (and other stuff) is to go to Venus and sleep for one local hour (1000 standard hours) - I've used that to fix quests before.

Meridian said:
2) The more amusing one was a variant on the "one of our staff has gone AWOL" quests. Arrived at a colony site and spoke to the boss. She told me that one colonist has packed it in, and could I get them back. Agreed, turned and walked away and looked for the quest marker. It was behind me, over the boss. Spoke to her, and yes, she was AWOL. Still at the site. Paid her to return, closed the conversation. The quest marker is still over her, but now the conversation is: thanks for returning my missing worker. Weird.

Is that the Eleos Retreat? You have to explore the nearby cave to get that one to work (the worker is supposed to have gotten lost there). My fix for that was to go to the cave, wait for the critters to spawn, save, then reload (it'll put you back outside the cave) - then try to find the worker inside.

Meridian said:
Got a character to level 60 in NG+, but the grind was really slow by now. The only realistic way is the classic: find a planet at your level or higher that has a temperate climate, and kill all the local wildlife. Effective, but dull. So I started character number ten (I think - it's about that). With all RPGs it's the very early stages of the game I like best. In the case of Starfield, it's getting to the point where I can steal a spaceship and have enough money to pimp it out a bit (meaning at least 40k gold). Level 7 in this game.

I found once I got into the ship-building that I gained a lot of levels simply by tackling Pirate/Spacer/Ecliptic/Va'ruun bases on level 70+ worlds - didn't pick up anything except legendaries, cash and resources (to finance my ships). I also made a Vytinium Fuel Rod farm to grind XP but that's a lot of effort for limited reward once you get into the 90's. Some players have made high-level critter farms too.

BUDFORCE said:
The only thing Starfield does well is market itself and give an illusion it's something it's not, don't get trapped by it.

It also has the uncanny ability to bring trolls out from under their bridge whenever it's mentioned :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom