***The Official Starfield Thread*** (As endorsed by TNA)

Soldato
i can live in hope :p
I'm hoping that when the DLC drops they fix some things, the problem is that the things that need fixing are huge, nobody wanted to explore a planet that has the same base on it 1000x, they are talking about adding a buggy....so I can get to that same base again on another world.

Chop the DLC down to a few well made large planets and suddenly the game would be a lot better.

Soldato
I'm hoping that when the DLC drops they fix some things, the problem is that the things that need fixing are huge, nobody wanted to explore a planet that has the same base on it 1000x, they are talking about adding a buggy....so I can get to that same base again on another world.

Chop the DLC down to a few well made large planets and suddenly the game would be a lot better.
Depends what one's expectations are about the game. I mean a lot of people were/are happy with how No Man Sky "evolved" over the years, even tough basically... is the same boring game (after a while)...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Unfortunately, Bethesda doesn’t have the best track record of fixing game mechanics, which is what I feel is most at fault.
Just look at how Fallout76 has improved. With the amount of time they’ve had, the changes are so minimal that I wonder if they were done by a few interns during their breaks.

Soldato
Don't worry, some gave up much earlier but then spent more hours trying to tell others why they didn't like it.

Can't possibly imagine who you are referring to.

:D

To be fair credit where credit is due, go check out the Fallout 76 thread you'll see I give it nothing but praise.

140 hours on Starfield FYI, I was desperate to believe Todd, perseveringly hoping something would click.

What a fool I was. I only post on this thread to try and save people being as big a fool as I was.

Soldato
Unfortunately, Bethesda doesn’t have the best track record of fixing game mechanics, which is what I feel is most at fault.
Just look at how Fallout76 has improved. With the amount of time they’ve had, the changes are so minimal that I wonder if they were done by a few interns during their breaks.

That's probably because they think all is good... and don't care. I mean, "next gen" update for Fallout 4 and no FoV slider or proper support for wider resolutions :))

Soldato
I've put a couple more hours into this since the update.

• City and surface maps are much better.
  • The ability to decorate a ship interior is nice but really just tinkering round the edges.
  • Starfield is still pretty much exactly the same game as before the update even with the various QoL and difficulty setting updates.
  • I can't complain as put more hours in this in a consecutive run than any single player game ever from launch to 1st boredom break so got cracking value out of it. This was 50% fuelled by base building in my final NG+ universe of choice though.
  • Even Skyrim and Oblivion were only good for c60-80hrs of play though before boredom in the initial launch years until updates & mods landed. Skyrim had significantly more charm and drawback to re-play again though. I cannot get back in to Starfield as I did with Oblivion and Skyrim after a break, once you've done most of it then there is nothing more to aim for.
  • I'm not convinced expansions and mods will save this now.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've put a couple more hours into this since the update.

• City and surface maps are much better.
  • The ability to decorate a ship interior is nice but really just tinkering round the edges.
  • Starfield is still pretty much exactly the same game as before the update even with the various QoL and difficulty setting updates.
  • I can't complain as put more hours in this in a consecutive run than any single player game ever from launch to 1st boredom break so got cracking value out of it. This was 50% fuelled by base building in my final NG+ universe of choice though.
  • Even Skyrim and Oblivion were only good for c60-80hrs of play though before boredom in the initial launch years until updates & mods landed. Skyrim had significantly more charm and drawback to re-play again though. I cannot get back in to Starfield as I did with Oblivion and Skyrim after a break, once you've done most of it then there is nothing more to aim for.
  • I'm not convinced expansions and mods will save this now.

Sadly I do think you coulybe right. At the snail pace these devs work can't see a meaningful change happening.

Associate
So I started playing this last night for the first time. I've done about 1.5 hours and whilst the game seems very well made. It looks great, sounds great, plays alright....the problem is that it's just so soulless - I'm not really feeling the urge to go back to it tonight honestly. Does it get better or shall I just bin it off?

Soldato
So I started playing this last night for the first time. I've done about 1.5 hours and whilst the game seems very well made. It looks great, sounds great, plays alright....the problem is that it's just so soulless - I'm not really feeling the urge to go back to it tonight honestly. Does it get better or shall I just bin it off?

I'm really interested to find that you think it looks great! To me it looks a lot worse than many games from 10 years ago (Witcher 3 for example). The faces and textures just look terrible.

I enjoyed the game, really like the ship building. The ship piracy loop was fun. But it never looked great!

Associate
I'm really interested to find that you think it looks great! To me it looks a lot worse than many games from 10 years ago (Witcher 3 for example). The faces and textures just look terrible.

I enjoyed the game, really like the ship building. The ship piracy loop was fun. But it never looked great!
Maybe I just have low standards lol. It looks good to me - maybe great was too strong of a word but I certainly wouldn't say it looks "bad".

Soldato
Woops wrong game haha.

Still I really wanted to like this game, I just couldn’t get in to it sadly. Not sure why.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe I just have low standards lol. It looks good to me - maybe great was too strong of a word but I certainly wouldn't say it looks "bad".

I think the game looks stunning in many areas, maybe with the help of a HDR OLED monitor but I'm sure it would look good anyway. There are some outdoor areas that can look pretty average though and I agree that the faces look dated.

I've got bored of it and put it down for now and have started Dying light 2 which is more interesting but definitely a visual downgrade.

Starfield is the first Bethesda game I've never completed in one go. Hopefully the DLC and further updates will drag me back.

Soldato
I've got a ton of side quests to do but can't be bothered. I think I have the last main mission left and can't wait to uninstall this game.

It's crap.

Why are you bothering to persist through it then if it's so bad? In fact, how did you get so far with it? Surely you would have noticed this quite early on. Games are supposed to be fun. It makes absolutely no sense to play something you're not enjoying in much the same way that I don't eat things I don't like.

PS: blink twice if you're being held under duress and forced to play the game because that would be the only explanation.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why are you bothering to persist through it then if it's so bad? In fact, how did you get so far with it? Surely you would have noticed this quite early on. Games are supposed to be fun. It makes absolutely no sense to play something you're not enjoying in much the same way that I don't eat things I don't like.

PS: blink twice if you're being held under duress and forced to play the game because that would be the only explanation.

The classic Steam review. Crap game, hated every second of it, 1000 hours played.

Soldato

I hate paying for a game and not seeing it through to the end.

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom