***The Official Starfield Thread*** (As endorsed by TNA)

Soldato
Finally got the visuals tweaked to how I want them and now using the LUMA HDR mod - which is an absolute and utter must. It's transformative if you value proper HDR, trust me.

And now I'm actually playing the game properly, you know what? I quite like it. There, I said it. I quite like Starfield.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Tried to play this game when it released, it was all good until i got into a spaceship and if i remember had no clue where to go or what to do and i hate games where you feel lost and unsure so i quit.

Where was i actually meant to go. I might have another go one day.

Not sure if serious. The game holds your hand quite a bit. And even if not enough there are dozens of walkthroughs?

Associate
First time trying it on my new PC, pleasantly surprised by how well it runs. 4K, 120fps most of the time. It’s certainly giving my 7800X3D the biggest workout I’ve seen it have yet though, almost 50% usage.
Still vaguely wondering about CPU performance and scaling (as in FO4 and SSE it can be dire leading the question of whether Bethesda can fix their engine), so your "almost 50% usage": how is it spread?

From the FO4 benchmarks thread etc. we generally saw one primary thread which seemed to bottleneck the whole thing - especially with lots of NPCs and settlements (i.e. lost of script running), would be interested if 50% of 8C/16T is actually 1 at near 100% and the others loaded - say - 35% or so?

Soldato
I'll be sure to tell him a supposedly grown man is getting stroppy because he can't play a game that kids can but by all means lash out at everyone else about it, must be their fault. :cry:

who said i cant play it, your talking nonsense. I quit before giving it a chance, big difference

i do get stroppy at very snide and offensive comments from yourself, i admit to that

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Finally got the visuals tweaked to how I want them and now using the LUMA HDR mod - which is an absolute and utter must. It's transformative if you value proper HDR, trust me.

And now I'm actually playing the game properly, you know what? I quite like it. There, I said it. I quite like Starfield.

I'll check this out thanks. Was using one of the early ones from back near launch but I've formatted my PC since.

Man of Honour
Not sure if serious. The game holds your hand quite a bit.

It holds your hand a lot less then previous Beth games. It took me a while to get the hang of space combat because you got about two hints then: "OK, now destroy these space pirates!". I can certainly understand someone struggling. People who know how to do things seldom remember what it was like when they didn't.

On the mod front I've now increased the storage for cargo storage and outside settlement storage by x10. I've also boosted the Captains locker storage to 5000. That's to make a space-bourn life easier. Now that you can craft inside your ship I was making loads of small crates to hold all the stuff I needed to craft weapon and armour mods, but now I can just dump everything in the captain's locker. Decreasing the numer of perks needed before you advance to the next tier turns out to be easy, but increasing the number of perk points per level is not. It looks like it's now handled by a Papyrus script, not an integer variable as of old. And for this game the Papyrus scripts are compiled, and can't be edited without external tools.

Poking through the editor has made it clear though, that this is the engine that will be used for F5 and ES6. There are VATS functions there, and armour/magic functions as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Man of Honour
I forgot: having boosted the Captain's Locker storage, I've added that Captain's Locker to most of the buyable houses. Didn't bother with the sleeping crate, parents, or The Well flat. Because why? The original plan to add infinite storage containers like the safe in the Lodge looked too complicated (it's actually two linked containers, and I can't see how they work together).

Associate
Still vaguely wondering about CPU performance and scaling (as in FO4 and SSE it can be dire leading the question of whether Bethesda can fix their engine), so your "almost 50% usage": how is it spread?

From the FO4 benchmarks thread etc. we generally saw one primary thread which seemed to bottleneck the whole thing - especially with lots of NPCs and settlements (i.e. lost of script running), would be interested if 50% of 8C/16T is actually 1 at near 100% and the others loaded - say - 35% or so?
On my system, it appears to work very differently to other games. It seems to push a single core to 100%, then swaps over to a different core, and so cycling through all the cores. Quite ingenious really, and how you would expect an AI based game to work in the future.

This effect can be very clearly seen in the video I posted earlier.

Interestingly, I tried to see what would happen if I disabled half my cores, and it was still going along at 50 to 60% overall load. It appears to be doing something with how it uses resources.

Edit:

It may also have something to do with how it creates shaders as you move around the game world, so I’m not sure if that would translate over to the game engine itself. Probably worth more investigation, as there does seem to be a lot happening.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of an odd thing I've noticed - the CPU usage seems to have rocketed with the recent game updates. Performance is pretty good on my rig but the CPU usage and temps are a bit worrying. On Cydonia inside the complex thing it's constantly pegging 80%+ usage, full wattage, and temps are 85+ degrees. I've never seen a game push this high before, only CPU benchmarks. Is the game using AVX now or something?

Last edited:
Associate
Bit of an odd thing I've noticed - the CPU usage seems to have rocketed with the recent game updates. Performance is pretty good on my rig but the CPU usage and temps are a bit worrying. On Cydonia inside the complex thing it's constantly pegging 80%+ usage, full wattage, and temps are 85+ degrees. I've never seen a game push this high before, only CPU benchmarks. Is the game using AVX now or something?
The game definitely uses AVX, and I’ve also noticed the same thing with high temps and power.

I think Total War games with extreme unit size are another example of high CPU usage, but they appear to be more highly parallelised only and more heavily dependant on a single thread.

Back
Top Bottom