***The Official Starfield Thread*** (As endorsed by TNA)

Soldato
It also has the uncanny ability to bring trolls out from under their bridge whenever it's mentioned :D

How am I trolling?

The steam reviews, general feedback on this thread and literally everywhere the opinion is generally negative.

I get you like the game, and I am glad you are getting some good fun out of it, I don't think any less of you for that. He asked and I gave an honest opinion, directed at him, not you. You are welcome to add your own opinion.

But just becuase I don't agree with you I am trolling?

I think you need to get a grip mate.

Associate
How am I trolling?

The steam reviews, general feedback on this thread and literally everywhere the opinion is generally negative.

I get you like the game, and I am glad you are getting some good fun out of it, I don't think any less of you for that. He asked and I gave an honest opinion, directed at him, not you. You are welcome to add your own opinion.

But just becuase I don't agree with you I am trolling?

I think you need to get a grip mate.
There are 85k positive Steam reviews vs 53k negative - that's not generally negative.

Starfield is the 2nd most voted for game in the OCUK GOTY poll, and the majority of negative comments in this thread are from you.

Also, despite the huge amount of negative coverage on Eurogamer (who were butthurt they didn't get review code), their readers have voted it 7th best game of the year with Resident Evil 4 above it and Hogwart's Legacy below it.

And I called you a troll because that's exactly what you're doing - when I don't like a game I might write a negative review, complain about it a bit and then I won't think about it again - but you're still here posting negative comments and bringing down the thread for the people that might actually enjoy this game because you're a troll.

Soldato
In fairness, I don't think anyone has done Build Your Own Spaceship before? OK, KSP has, but that's a lot more hardcore. But I don't buy Beth games for originality, and it does seem an odd win.

They call it build, but it's an illusion of choice really. You just place some premade rooms and it makes no difference how you do it.

The rest of game feels like a step backwards from what has been don't before. It's a very static and lifeless feeling game compared to FO3/4, Oblivion and Skyrim.

The tech exists to have made it a far better but Bethesda refuse to get a new engine.

Last edited:
Associate
The rest of game feels like a step backwards from what has been don before. We have a fully chewed ship but the crew is useless most of the time. Why can't we manage them and have them carry out other tasks, go planetside in full force etc.
The crew can provide some useful buffs (Sarah's Leadership skill frees up an extra crew slot, Sam's piloting speeds up the ship and adds a permanent point to engines, Vasco adds a point to overall reactor power), but yeah - would've been nice if they filled more of a role on the ship rather than just randomly wandering around it. The worst offender is the medic you can hire who can't actually heal you (the infirmary hab is just decorative too).

Would've also been nice if the different habs actually had buffs or changed appearance (cargo habs giving you extra cargo space and changing their appearance based on how much you're carrying).

I think the biggest missed opportunity with the Constellation companions is that they're not doing their own thing whilst you're off on your adventures - would've been nice getting a message from them saying they're on X planet and they need your help with whatever.

A lot of players have requested the ability to crew up a second ship and have it as a 'wing man' too - that'd be cool...

Last edited:
Soldato
There are 85k positive Steam reviews vs 53k negative - that's not generally negative.

Starfield is the 2nd most voted for game in the OCUK GOTY poll, and the majority of negative comments in this thread are from you.

Also, despite the huge amount of negative coverage on Eurogamer (who were butthurt they didn't get review code), their readers have voted it 7th best game of the year with Resident Evil 4 above it and Hogwart's Legacy below it.

And I called you a troll because that's exactly what you're doing - when I don't like a game I might write a negative review, complain about it a bit and then I won't think about it again - but you're still here posting negative comments and bringing down the thread for the people that might actually enjoy this game because you're a troll.

It's an open forum and Bethesda deserves it. Why should these threads just be for game appreciation? If you enjoy it, enjoy it, don't let others tell you what to enjoy. I thought people might be chatting about the mostly negative recent reviews but again, more politics about game thread etiquette

Associate
It's an open forum and Bethesda deserves it. Why should these threads just be for game appreciation? If you enjoy it, enjoy it, don't let others tell you what to enjoy. I thought people might be chatting about the mostly negative recent reviews but again, more politics about game thread etiquette
Hey, I'm not the speech police.

Comments were made that were inaccurate and I refuted them. Also, if a person wilfully makes inaccurate remarks in order to vilify something they dislike, I consider that person a troll.

Anyway, I'm done here - I hang out in this thread to talk about Starfield, not to pick fights - and since I can't just be silent when people are being knowingly disingenuous then I guess it's time to find another thread to hang out in.

Maybe I'll check out the Fallout 76 thread and tell people they'd be dumb to buy the most exploitative game Bethesda's ever released? Or the Star Citizen thread - I could tell the peeps there they've wasted their money and their game is *never* going to be finished...

Except of course, I'd never do that - 'cause unlike some here, I'm not a troll.

Caporegime
Just seen this has won an award on Steam. Must be good.

xIvgFjx.png

I think all the game awards this year have been ridiculous.

How on earth is there anything particularly innovative about the game?

The spaceship builder is kind of the only thing i can think of, but even that is pushing it.

Soldato
I think the biggest problem is that Starfield over promised.

I was expecting (hoping) for the love child of Elite dangerous and Skyrim. What we got was still an entertaining game, I put about 60 hours in and enjoyed it. Got to NG+1 and lost interest in doing it all again.

Caporegime
i got bored of this very fast. its just the same thing over and over with a different planet.

Yeh, i didn't even bother to finish it.

I got extremely tired of seeing the same layout of outpost etc everywhere/on every planet.

The story/script was very 'fisher-price' as well.

Soldato
i got bored of this very fast. its just the same thing over and over with a different planet.

I think the biggest problem is that Starfield over promised.

I was expecting (hoping) for the love child of Elite dangerous and Skyrim. What we got was still an entertaining game, I put about 60 hours in and enjoyed it. Got to NG+1 and lost interest in doing it all again.

Yeh, i didn't even bother to finish it.

I got extremely tired of seeing the same layout of outpost etc everywhere/on every planet.

The story/script was very 'fisher-price' as well.

I'm 13 days (312hrs) in @ lvl 106 (no mods)

I didn't quite make NG+ 10. Didn't get bored but I found an NG+ universe I liked and have been exploring and outpost building this one.

All of my last 6 days game time have been outpost building, ship capturing and ship building plus the occasional quest. The building elements alone are for me enough of a game to be really enjoyable.

I decided to become a weapons dealer in this universe. When the outpost weapon case spawn weapons function worked, I spawned in loads, built a great base with loads of displays and crates and have been trading in them ever since.

I won't move on to a new NG+ now until I have 100% achievements and I can then mod the game to build what I want and spawn weapons etc.

My first play through on Skyrim lasted 80-100 ish hours before I parked it for a couple of years so this has given me a significantly better run.

Once the Skyrim expansions released and mods evolved, I was interested again but only when I could mod my character to eliminate the levelling grind etc.

@Aegis I think fewer of us are enjoying Starfield long term but that's no different to previous Bethesda releases or other RPGs like Baldur's Gate; a handful of hardcore enthusiasts used to be sufficient for single player RPGs to measure success.

It's just expectations and opinions are so much more polarised in this season compared to when for example Skyrim launched. Plus everyone expects everything perfect from day 1 now. Skyrim took 5 years to release a version of the game and mods that I consider gave it unrivalled status.

@ the others, the game could be hugely improved and there is lots to critique, for those of us who find enough content to make it enjoyable, these don't detract.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm 13 days (312hrs) in @ lvl 106 (no mods)

I didn't quite make NG+ 10. Didn't get bored but I found an NG+ universe I liked and have been exploring and outpost building this one.

All of my last 6 days game time have been outpost building, ship capturing and ship building plus the occasional quest. The building elements alone are for me enough of a game to be really enjoyable.

I decided to become a weapons dealer in this universe. When the outpost weapon case spawn weapons function worked, I spawned in loads, built a great base with loads of displays and crates and have been trading in them ever since.

I won't move on to a new NG+ now until I have 100% achievements and I can then mod the game to build what I want and spawn weapons etc.

My first play through on Skyrim lasted 80-100 ish hours before I parked it for a couple of years so this has given me a significantly better run.

Once the Skyrim expansions released and mods evolved, I was interested again but only when I could mod my character to eliminate the levelling grind etc.

@Aegis I think fewer of us are enjoying Starfield long term but that's no different to previous Bethesda releases or other RPGs like Baldur's Gate; a handful of hardcore enthusiasts used to be sufficient for single player RPGs to measure success.

It's just expectations and opinions are so much more polarised in this season compared to when for example Skyrim launched. Plus everyone expects everything perfect from day 1 now. Skyrim took 5 years to release a version of the game and mods that I consider gave it unrivalled status.

@ the others, the game could be hugely improved and there is lots to critique, for those of us who find enough content to make it enjoyable, these don't detract.

It isn't a question of a game being perfect from day 1. It is more about whether it can keep someone engaged etc. If it works for you, then great. I've always maintained that it is not a bad game, and is a solid 7/10 for me. It just isn't a great game in my opinion. The story and script are lacklustre, the engine and immersive-ness/tech/interactivity is a backwards step in many ways (ie you can just point your gun at npc's and fire weapons around them and they don't give a ****) and the procedural generation makes for a very repetitive slog.

They just didn't build as believable/immersive a world as other rpg/action rpg type games have like Cyberpunk, Witcher 3, RDR2 etc etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
It isn't a question of a game being perfect from day 1. It is more about whether it can keep someone engaged etc. If it works for you, then great. I've always maintained that it is not a bad game, and is a solid 7/10 for me. It just isn't a great game in my opinion. The story and script are lacklustre, the engine and immersive-ness/tech/interactivity is a backwards step in many ways (ie you can just point your gun at npc's and fire weapons around them and they don't give a ****) and the procedural generation makes for a very repetitive slog.

They just didn't build as believable/immersive a world as other rpg/action rpg type games have like Cyberpunk, Witcher 3, RDR2 etc etc.

Agreed, lots of elements are missing or poorly implemented. If it wasn't for the building elements then I would have stopped a long way back.

What I have found great is the scaling, especially at each NG+. On Hard/Very Hard I die often, especially in space combat. The enemies keep scaling, I will quite often get one shotted by some random aggro'd creature on a planet when scanning. Sadly spawns, enemy ships and outposts are just too repetitive or predictable even if challenging.

But the universe and planets beyond the main cities are empty and the whole game is soulless compared to Skyrim, Witcher 3, X4 etc. But to be honest, so is real space.

I found RDR 2 too boring.

I think Elder Scrolls 6 will serious curtail the longevity of Starfield unless it makes some significant leaps forward.

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve put many hours into Starfield, its number one problem for me is the repeated locations and empty caves on planets. It’s all very well having all those planets but constantly discovering points of interests you’ve seen before. You end up thinking what’s the point in exploring. I enjoy the dna of a Bethesda game , take it as slow as you want , it’s pretty chilled wondering around.. but then gets boring pretty damn quick with starfield. I’ve given up on outposts , I used them for xp farming in the end. Npc conversations and fetch quests are outdated since 2011 imo, they need to raise the bar with this. See what happens with the dlc eh

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
its number one problem for me is the repeated locations and empty caves on planets. It’s all very well having all those planets but constantly discovering points of interests you’ve seen before. You end up thinking what’s the point in exploring.

Exactly. I feel like what they did is ultimately stupid. Can't believe TH thought that would work.

Caporegime
I’ve put many hours into Starfield, its number one problem for me is the repeated locations and empty caves on planets. It’s all very well having all those planets but constantly discovering points of interests you’ve seen before. You end up thinking what’s the point in exploring.

Yep, that is mainly what killed it for me.

The fact that almost everything from enemies, loot, etc is in the same place is stupid.

I hope they see in hindsight that it was a very poor decision. No one wants to play exactly the same "level" over and over again.

Soldato
I have a strange bug, im about 500 hours played and level 189, no NG+ yet. Half of the missions where i have to go kill a pirate captain or whoever, i get there and one of his own men kill him before i get near him lol. Should i just go to NG+ and forget getting the silly perks i still not got yet.

Man of Honour
Are you sure it's their own? I find often Ecliptic drop in, kill, then bug out. If it's an Ecliptic you are after, it tends to be Va'Ruhn. The only clue is you may see one or two bodies of a different faction to the boss. You will also occasionally catch a second faction spacecraft dropping in and letting out an away crew. I've never bothered to follow them to see if they go inside though.

Soldato
I use the wall hack power on entry to mission and watch them fight, on some levels i can run and gun to save him for me. Never really noticed if they are other factions, i will check bodies better next time. Seem a good shout anywho. Edit .. All landing ships are always empty for me :/

Last edited:
Soldato
I did a bounty hunter mission recently and it was for a Spacer Captain or similar, when I arrived at the place the people outside was Va'Ruhn. Didn't think of it first but as I entered the underground area, I heard shouting and gunfire. Then suddenly it said mission completed and I got the reward, but as I progressed deeper it was a mixture of Spacer's and Va'Ruhn I encountered as I cleared out the place. So yeah, there are different factions fighting each other.

Back
Top Bottom