***The Official Starfield Thread*** (As endorsed by TNA)

Soldato
Together with the rest of your suggestions, as I understand it, this is all stuff that they had and then deliberately removed. Something, something, player freedom?

That's absolute BS, because like all the previous games there is an option to simply turn it off, giving the player the choice, so that isn't the real reason.

But just like everything else about Starfield it's all BS.

I reckon Starfield was developed by the staff they didn't like but couldn't get rid of for whatever reason, so sat them in a little corner on their own gave them minimal budget hoping they would hang themselves.

Then when they actually made a game old Todd saw dollar signs and marketed it as the complete opposite of what it always was.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Man of Honour
.....but if they added some of if this adding survival elements to the game, it would add immersion, and build that into base building (eg to make fuel away from settlements) to start giving of the stuff purpose.

You know, land on new planet, ok limited oxygen, have to find X or do Y to solve that first, then need food and water supply, then need fuel.

Or, you could play a survival game like No Man's Sky, rather than an RPG? My understanding is there was going to be a lot more survival type stuff, like environmental damage being heavy, and needing special suits for each kind, and He-3 being needed for all space travel, not just jumping. But I'm guessing that they realised that this appealed only to a very noisy minority, and got in the way of everyone else actually enjoying the game.

Soldato
Or, you could play a survival game like No Man's Sky, rather than an RPG? My understanding is there was going to be a lot more survival type stuff, like environmental damage being heavy, and needing special suits for each kind, and He-3 being needed for all space travel, not just jumping. But I'm guessing that they realised that this appealed only to a very noisy minority, and got in the way of everyone else actually enjoying the game.

Ok fine, but no survival mode? Not even one you can choose to turn off?

Soldato
Just checking into this thread does not want me to try it again.

One thing that would get me playing is a single unique world, with bespoke locations and lifeforms. Internal fast travel between major settlements, to make life easier.

I appreciate that's just a standard rpg, but I'd probably shell out for planet packs like that as DLC.

Man of Honour
Ok fine, but no survival mode? Not even one you can choose to turn off?

I'll bet a small amount of money to charity that it comes with the first DLC. My personal beef with "survival mode" is that very few games keep it separate from the difficulty: most want to ramp up the difficulty to "insane" at the same time. No, the New Vegas way of keeping it a separate switch is way better. That siad it bored the **** out of me in Vegas so I turned it off. Added annoyance for no added benefit.

As for potatolord: well, you just invented a bog-standard RPG.

Last edited:
Associate
Decided to give Starfield another go after the recent major updates, and very surprised at how well frame generation has been implemented. It's also much easier to focus on other aspects once you're getting over 140 FPS, and I was surprised at how optimised the game now feels. Not something I ever expected myself to be saying.

Made a video as well.

Associate
I remembered Akila City being more GPU limited, and frame generation is best for CPU limitations.

So I had a look online, and some reviewers were using Akila City for CPU tests, which I thought odd. So decided to go and check.

From what I could tell, there's no real difference.

Just to make sure, I put the resolution slider down to 75%, and the FPS increased to 160. It was the same in New Atlantis.

So could not see any optimisations issues.

Made another video.

Man of Honour
May update:

tl:dw:

• ⁠The Starfield team is adding significant improvements to the surface maps, including more terrain details, markers for shops/locations, and easier navigation.
• ⁠The game is introducing new gameplay options that allow players to customize the difficulty and balance of different gameplay elements like combat.
• ⁠A new "Extreme" difficulty setting is being added above the existing "Very Hard" difficulty.
• ⁠The ship customization system is being expanded to allow players to fully decorate and furnish the interior of their ships.
• ⁠New "empty hab" options are being added to the ship builder, giving players a blank slate to customize.
• ⁠The game is adding the ability to re-spec character traits and change appearance when starting a New Game Plus.
• ⁠Xbox Series X players are getting performance and visual settings to prioritize frame rate or visuals.
• ⁠Quality of life improvements are being made, like the ability to toggle off dialog cameras and improved inventory/container management.
• ⁠The team is working on the game's first land vehicle for players to drive around planets.
• ⁠The team is continuing to work on new quests and the upcoming "Shattered Space" expansion.

I’m actually pleasantly pleased to see this. Now I actually have a gaming PC again I may well fire it up on there this time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They are chipping away at it. But nothing there that would make me want to jump back in.

Honestly still can't believe they did not use Fallout 3 leveling and character creation system.

Hopefully we get some more improvements before the expansion hits.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What would be nice is if someone does a Fallout London but for this game and in that do it properly and make character creation and leveling up fun again.

But that is probably like 3-4 years away, maybe more.

Soldato
I agree, there is nothing exciting there that will make me finish the game. I wonder if the Extreme difficulty is yet more HP for the enemies.

Soldato
What would be nice is if someone does a Fallout London but for this game and in that do it properly and make character creation and leveling up fun again.

But that is probably like 3-4 years away, maybe more.

By that do you mean show a really promising mod that you can say is coming out next month/soon every month until it happens?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
By that do you mean show a really promising mod that you can say is coming out next month/soon every month until it happens?

If it does not come out this year it will be rotfl. They should just get people to use the downgrader tool for the game or get Bethesda to allow steam to use the old version or something if it is too hard for them to adept it to the update.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You'd still be complaining though.

Lol. If you think what I do is complaining you were not around release. If anything I was on the other side of the fence.

There is a reason why the thread title says endorsed by TNA and it wasn't sarcasm. But at the time I was really enjoying it. But now I am done with it I can say as much as I enjoyed it, the main story was weak and overall it just did not live up to what I was expecting. Still got my moneys worth out of it though as I played over 80 hours and still have the dlc yet :D

Soldato
I'm still playing this about 40hrs in. Its just such a mundane game.

Hardly nothing redeeming about it. Bland boring missions, loads of loading screens.

What is the blooming story line....

I play it but I say to my self this game is rubbish whilst doing it.

Back
Top Bottom